Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2023 11:28:16 PM EDT
Hey guys, today showed me a big hole in my gear.  Took my 10 yr old hiking through a national prairie. When we stopped to eat, he got stung 3 times by wasps/ hornets.   Nothing terrible came of it besides swelling thankfully but it showed a glaring weakness on my part.  
  I have and bring all the trauma gear , splints, etc. I have decent advanced hands on trauma training through the USMC and law enforcement.  But, as I've heard, you'll use Band-Aids much more than tq's.

What do you guys have for those lesser severe issues but that could turn deadly if one was allergic, etc ? What steps do you take if a kid gets stung ?
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 11:45:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I raise bees and my stings have been getting worse lately so I got to thinking, "what if". So I called a doctor friend of mine and had him call in a couple Epi pens for me. One for my outdoors first aid and one for the house for anyone that may need it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 11:55:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tejas1836] [#2]
Betamethasone dipropionate for topical- stings, bites poison ivy, oak sumac... a must
Epi pens for systemic symptoms
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 11:56:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tejas1836] [#3]
delete
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 11:56:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Cardplayer:
I raise bees and my stings have been getting worse lately so I got to thinking, "what if". So I called a doctor friend of mine and had him call in a couple Epi pens for me. One for my outdoors first aid and one for the house for anyone that may need it.
View Quote

I need a Dr friend lol.   My short research shows that even given when not needed, they are safe.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 12:05:51 AM EDT
[#5]
For pain relief I carry "Sting Kill" which is menthol and 20% bezocaine in a crush-to-use swab.

Years ago I ran into a family who's daughter had just been stung several times and used one on her
and the reaction of gratitude was off the charts, I immediately understood why some people would
pick EMS as a career.

This does nothing for allergic reactions (epi pen mentioned is solid for that) but does wonders
for the sting pain itself.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 12:09:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 12:14:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 1:08:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Nightstalker32:

I need a Dr friend lol.   My short research shows that even given when not needed, they are safe.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

My wife is a PA and can administer prescriptions but we are a little paranoid about her contract with the local hospital. She says any good doctor should have no issues prescribing one or two to a patient for legitimate reasons. I have not heard of them being abused recreationally but I suspect they could for short term performance.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 1:15:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cardplayer] [#9]
Originally Posted By TNC:
Tagged for info. Benadryl is my go to. I got a couple yellowjacket stings this summer and didn't have any topicals worth a damn. I need to fix that.

Folk medicine holds that a paste of baking soda and water applied to the sting will draw the venom. That's what my mom ised to do.
View Quote

That does work.
Just a note - A bee will leave the singer attached to you(and die soon thereafter) so get it out quickly so less venom enters your body. They only sting if they are threatened.
Wasps can sting multiple times and are typically assholes.
Some pics from this year just because they are cool

Link Posted: 8/16/2023 8:10:53 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

I'm a beekeeper as well. Never thought about an epi pen; what does one cost?

As you stated above, a thick paste made from baking soda and water does work. Ask me how I know...
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 9:11:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Tejas1836:
Betamethasone dipropionate
View Quote
Commercial/trade name?
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 11:23:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: W_E_G] [#12]
Epi-Pen for true anaphylaxis.
Available by prescription from your doctor.
Note the expiration date and storage conditions, as Epi-Pens are a liquid that DOES GO BAD as far turning from fluid (good) into gel (bad) if exposed to extreme temperatures, or just from passage of time.

Chewable Benadryl for most reactions.
Swallowing a whole non-chewable pill may be a big problem if there are any symptoms of anaphylaxis.
Not that you can't chew up a regular benadryl pill, but it may be so unappealing to the patient, that intake will fail.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 11:32:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Topicals don’t do much in my opinion as they don’t adequately penetrate the dermis. Benadryl is very effective and safe for mild to moderate reactions. Epi absolutely required for anaphylactic shock.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 12:27:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nightstalker32] [#14]
To add to my original post,  when he got stung ( 3 times , 1 to finger 1 to face and 1 to neck)

I immediately gave him ibuprofen, some water,  put Benadryl cream on each spot and an ice pack .     We then hiked a mile or so to get back to the car.       How were my steps ?

I know this is such a minor incident but I'm always trying to improve and streamline my response, especially regarding my kids.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 1:20:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Oral Benadryl is shown to be effective. Topical has a weak effect if any. Cold pac good. Just replace the topical with an oral. Know that any antihistamine can be mildly sedating
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 1:25:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GlutealCleft] [#16]
Hey guys, today showed me a big hole in my gear.  Took my 10 yr old hiking through a national prairie. When we stopped to eat, he got stung 3 times by wasps/ hornets.   Nothing terrible came of it besides swelling thankfully but it showed a glaring weakness on my part.  
  I have and bring all the trauma gear , splints, etc. I have decent advanced hands on trauma training through the USMC and law enforcement.  But, as I've heard, you'll use Band-Aids much more than tq's.

What do you guys have for those lesser severe issues but that could turn deadly if one was allergic, etc ? What steps do you take if a kid gets stung ?
View Quote

One of my kids reacts SUPER hard to any sort of sting/bite, so here's what I do:

First, 4-5% lidocaine for immediate relief.  Once that's dried, diphenhydramine cream.  Once that's dried, hydrocortisone/mometasone OINTMENT (which is much more effective than a cream), covered with a bandaid to hold the ointment and keep them from scratching at it.  If there are a ton of them or they've gotten really bad before I get to them, then 2 benedryl tablets on top of that.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 1:29:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GlutealCleft] [#17]
View Quote

Remember, the epi pen opens airways, pumps more blood, etc., but afaik, they don't really treat an underlying reaction.  If you have to take an epi pen, my armchair-quarterback opinion is that you should 100% follow it up with benedryl as well.

Years back when I had a severe allergic reaction that almost killed me, after the epi, the docs were giving me something like 100mg of diphenhydramine IV every HOUR for the time I spent in the ER under observation.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 3:04:57 PM EDT
[#18]
What's your guys go to for snake bites ( I'm assuming hauling ass to e.r )
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 3:55:12 PM EDT
[#19]
What's your guys go to for snake bites ( I'm assuming hauling ass to e.r )
View Quote

Soap and water.
Elevate the area of the bite.
Transport to hospital.

DO NOT
Try to suck the venom out.
Cut the area bitten.
Apply tourniquet.
Apply ice.
Administer oral medication.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 4:22:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By W_E_G:

Soap and water.
Elevate the area of the bite.
Transport to hospital.

DO NOT
Try to suck the venom out.
Cut the area bitten.
Apply tourniquet.
Apply ice.
Administer oral medication.
View Quote

Really?  Id assume slowing the rate of blood would help , ( ice )
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 4:38:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 7:41:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Saber329] [#22]
NVM.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 12:37:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By TNC:

And epi wears off in maybe 20 min, so give them benadryl immediately. Especially if you have a long evac route. And best to have either a 2 dose epi pen or 2 separate pens. I was taught to keep benadryl taped to the epi pen.

View Quote

Is it safe to assume that if an epi pen is used, no matter the effectiveness, a hospital afterwards is a must ?
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 7:24:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 2:14:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NotIssued] [#25]
Originally Posted By Curmudgeon762:
Topicals don’t do much in my opinion as they don’t adequately penetrate the dermis. Benadryl is very effective and safe for mild to moderate reactions. Epi absolutely required for anaphylactic shock.
View Quote

Bingo.

Everything else is "make you feel better" medicine but not actually fixing anything.

Oh, and the number of stings to be toxic (based purely on volume of venom) is impressive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top