Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2022 8:21:39 PM EDT
Came up on a bad accident recently that happened maybe 1 minute before I arrived.

I pulled over and asked if anyone called 911, check
I am a certified first aid instructor. Not a paramedic, not a nurse, or doctor.....instructor at best which is way down the list
Two dudes in an suv hit a car that pulled out in front of them. Two dudes hurt and laid out. Other vehicle people fine. These guys laying there, no cuts but dizzy and hurting.
I decided I am calling 911 again because this took a long time for even police to get there. I called again, stated 2 car accident with injuries. Mind you they were laid out.

Then the woman whose fault it was said MINOR INJURIES while I am talking to 911. She says this while standing over them.
I retorted in a firm reply, IT'S NOT FOR YOU TO DECIDE. Before long 10 or so first responders and police showed.
First responders asked questions. One guy has pins in his back.

That said, I am not an expert. Did I exaggerate the injuries? Maybe I am overthinking this and answering my own question.

Is this proper?

thanks

Link Posted: 12/13/2022 8:27:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Internal hemorrhage is always something to consider in an event like that.

If it was my loved one laying there I’d certainly appreciate you getting them help there a bit quicker, regardless of what that other broad said.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 10:06:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GlockPride] [#2]
No, you didn’t mess up.  ALWAYS better to get the first responders there quickly.  You never know what’s going on inside someone’s body.

I once requested Air Medic for my stepmom who fell over 14’ from a tractor and wasn’t coherent via 9-1-1.  She’s a nurse, unlike her to not be able to answer simple questions.  VFD came and transported her 20+ miles down the bumpy roads to an ER that said, “yeah, she’s needs a medi-vac to a Tier-1 hospital”.  Then, and only then, did they call in the bird an hour plus after the incident.  I’m a safety person and KNEW she needed a bird, but they WOULDN’T listen to ME.  She’s “ok” and still has much pain to this day, 7 years later, but her back is still screwed up.  They wanted to do emergency surgery, but she refused them.   That was her call, the bird was mine.  And we had plenty of space to land it on.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 10:37:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Wtf is "laid out?"

They got out of the car the lied down in the street?

Sure, could be injured, or could be AllStateitis.  Modern cars are pretty safe.

But no, I think you did fine.  If you have no tools, don't get too aggressive. Though calling 911 twice is a bit Karen.  It's not like they drive faster with every phone call.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 10:46:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NotIssued:
Wtf is "laid out?"

They got out of the car the lied down in the street?

Sure, could be injured, or could be AllStateitis.  Modern cars are pretty safe.

But no, I think you did fine.  If you have no tools, don't get too aggressive. Though calling 911 twice is a bit Karen.  It's not like they drive faster with every phone call.
View Quote

I only called it once. The other person said they called 911 but I was not there when she did it. She massively screwed up because she pulled in front of the dude. So who knows what information she gave them.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 12:00:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds to me like you did right.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 12:32:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By yodude:

I only called it once. The other person said they called 911 but I was not there when she did it. She massively screwed up because she pulled in front of the dude. So who knows what information she gave them.
View Quote

Ok, that makes more sense.  

But yeah, you did fine.
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 2:05:45 AM EDT
[#7]
A pulse check for BPM and strength will give you some idea of trauma. Fast and weak - possible hemorrhage, needs IV and ALS. Slow and strong - not dying right now.
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 2:16:00 AM EDT
[#8]
FD..a long time ago..when Fire fighters and paramedics were separated.
Out of it. Even slightly incoherent or stumbling with thoughts, words. Cold clammy skin..etc.
Treat for shock as best you can until better help arrives.

No..I see nothing wrong there. In those situations you can only do so much.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top