Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/9/2020 8:01:43 PM EDT
So I have been an EMT for about 18 months, the last year I have been working for an medevac company that does both flight and has IFT ground service.  The last two months I have been out their helicopter base doing the ground ambulance for the IFT/critical care stuff that is going to hospitals 45 minutes away.  I decided that I want to move upward so the next step is paramedic.  There is a hybrid program out of the local community college nearby that would allow me to continue to work and attend classes that I am going to attend.  Just curious what those who have gone to Paramedic school would recommend knowing before going.  The program won't start until next august so I have some time.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 8:27:50 PM EDT
[#1]
You will be a hero when complete so there's that.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 10:00:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vstro] [#2]
It's been a while since I got my EMT B, how far do they go into anatomy?

A solid understanding of everything down to the cellular level will make it easier to understand different types of medications actions on the body.

Aside from that I would say to take some time to enjoy yourself before starting. Once your in the program it can really consume all of your free time and can stress you out.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 3:24:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: northcoastwizard] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Vstro:
It's been a while since I got my EMT B, how far do they go into anatomy?

A solid understanding of everything down to the cellular level will make it easier to understand different types of medications actions on the body.

Aside from that I would say to take some time to enjoy yourself before starting. Once your in the program it can really consume all of your free time and can stress you out.
View Quote

Good point, mine was intensive but bearable. I've heard horror stories before though. Safe bet to say goodbye to your free time once it starts.

Coming from the EMT-B level the hardest part for me was pharmacology, it was eye-opening to say the least. What helped me most with this was looking over my old college notes to understand kinetics, and applicable protocols to see practical examples of potentiation strings, synergistic effects, etc.

Like the other fella mentioned A/P will be fine if you've a good chem/bio background to draw from.
There's also a few good prep programs out there now that look promising, I've seen some ads on YouTube.

Since you're affiliated with an agency keep trying to soak up everything you can from your guys.
I spent almost 2 straight months pretty much living in my P.A.'s garage getting study help. Made a huge difference.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 1:26:48 PM EDT
[#4]
The EMT-B class didn't go to in depth into anatomy.  Carnegie Mellon University has the open learning initiative which offers A&P for free so I am going to take that to prep.  I sat down and talked to the department head at the college about the program last friday.  I had worked for an adjunct instructor last year in his department helping go over skills and helped with some of the paramedic scenarios.  He said there is an advisory board that reviews applications that he isn't a part of and without asking me to ask him multiple times suggested that I be the first potential student to have him write a letter of recommendation for the application.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top