Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2023 3:35:30 PM EDT
cheap. Apparently some places you can get it for free. I would like to get some for my trauma bag. While I have never encountered an OD, I have given CPR and administered basic FA in a few horrific accidents. My hope is to never use it. What direction can some of you EMS people recommend? THANKS

@medicmandan, I think I got this right.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 3:38:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe just let the druggy OD
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 3:40:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 3:44:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 4:09:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Thank you, I put in a request and showed my credentials that are online. Thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 4:10:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By dustymathes:
View Quote

That's a general discussion response. I personally know 3 parents who lost their kids to this. I cannot do that.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 4:17:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: michigan66] [#6]
Thing is if they OD on xylazine/tranq it doesn't seem to work.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 4:41:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By michigan66:
Thing is if they OD on xylazine/tranq it doesn't seem to work.
View Quote

Naloxone only works on opiate overdoses.

Link Posted: 1/15/2023 4:56:44 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

Sometimes it’s an older person or someone who didn’t fully understand the prescription and how much of a prescribed opiate such as OxyContin to take.

It’s expensive but if you go to your local EMS post and explain what you want and why they may have some they can give you.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 5:32:43 PM EDT
[#9]
When they filled my wife's Oxy/Apap 5/325 scrip they gave us a dose of narcan to go with it, free of charge.

Depends on what and where, I guess.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 8:08:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Maybe it’s someone who accidentally was dosed with fentanyl there, my man. Real tough talk
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 2:23:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 2:24:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: medicmandan] [#12]
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 2:26:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 2:51:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: D_J] [#14]
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 2:53:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 2:56:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Z09SS:
When they filled my wife's Oxy/Apap 5/325 scrip they gave us a dose of narcan to go with it, free of charge.

View Quote

interesting. you’d die from the tylenol well before you got enough opiates in you with that dosage. that shit will shut down your liver, quick.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 3:04:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By ElliotAbrahms:

interesting. you’d die from the tylenol well before you got enough opiates in you with that dosage. that shit will shut down your liver, quick.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ElliotAbrahms:
Originally Posted By Z09SS:

She figured that liver damage would hit her long before she'd need narcan.

She's about recovered from the shoulder replacement now, and we still have that dose of narcan.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 9:14:51 AM EDT
[#18]

Yup.  Naloxone ain’t chicken soup. It definitely has its place in the treatment of opioid overdose or diagnostically for unconsciousness of unknown etiology but there needs to be either a viable index of suspicion or clinical signs before we just start squirting repeated doses in noses.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 9:11:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: redman797] [#19]
Depends on state, UT here, but you can very often find MFG websites or programs that will send you a free 2-pack of 4mg nasal sprays. I received a Narcan brand 2-pack free, and like was mentioned above, if you live in UT, you can go to any public library and they give you a vial and syringe no questions asked, 1 per person, per day.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 9:17:47 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

Find your way back to GD, troll.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 4:01:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By medicmandan:

Been a few stories recently of cops overdosing during arrests and needing narcan.

ETA:  https://www.kktv.com/2022/12/15/graphic-police-help-save-officer-fentanyl-overdose-during-traffic-stop/
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By medicmandan:
Originally Posted By Kskvetski:
Maybe it’s someone who accidentally was dosed with fentanyl there, my man. Real tough talk

Been a few stories recently of cops overdosing during arrests and needing narcan.

ETA:  https://www.kktv.com/2022/12/15/graphic-police-help-save-officer-fentanyl-overdose-during-traffic-stop/

These are generally just anxiety attacks and/or a form a conversion disorder. The media reports you hear of law enforcement OD on fentanyl generally describe symptoms that are opposite of opioid overdoses.

Also, I've yet to here of any these cases being confirmed with a UDS or serum studies.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 3:43:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Nate19:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Nate19:

It's a sentiment that won't be aired publicly but you'll hear from time to time in the break room at the ER or bullshitting with full time medics.
We spend a lot of time taking care of people who dgaf about their own lives and it gets old. Yes it's valuable to have for the 3yo who gets into grandma's "stickers" (fentanyl patches), but when you get sprayed with HIV+ blood as the druggie rips out his ivs and starts swinging on everyone he sees after being narcan'ed for the 3rd time in 2 days you can understand the frustration that leads some to begin to question the easy access we provide. Not saying it's right, but I get how they get there and dismissing it as trolling is perhaps valid, but also perhaps not fully appreciating reality.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 3:50:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By StillGonnaSendIt:

Sometimes it’s an older person or someone who didn’t fully understand the prescription and how much of a prescribed opiate such as OxyContin to take.

It’s expensive but if you go to your local EMS post and explain what you want and why they may have some they can give you.
View Quote

Sounds as common as the Democrats saying gramma is down to eating cat food.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top