Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2023 3:32:05 PM EDT
I grew up back in the days when cops carried a 6 shooter and a shotgun. Even back then no ranges allowed shotguns on the regular range where they had paper targets. I took my slug gun one time to sight in for deer season and the range master was right on me "no shotguns on the rifle range." I explained I'd be shooting slugs. He said you can shoot it over on the trap range.
So I find my self moving back into town where I can't shoot in my back yard anymore. I'm looking at joining a gun club. They've got this huge complex with trap, skeet, 5 stand, long range rifle range, indoor pistol and .22 range... No place to practice with a tactical shotgun.

I think it's because guys blow up the wood target stands with birdshot, but come on. Use some common sense. Set aside one or two benches where guys have to bring their own targets and let us use buck and slugs. I guess everybody who uses a shotgun for home defense has never shot it.

I'll still have to drive out a country road to find a gravel pit on public land just blast my shotgun.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 3:41:35 PM EDT
[#1]
My local range will not allow Buck shot. Slugs only.

I thought it strange when I found out.

Ended up going to a private range to pattern some of shotguns.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 4:25:42 PM EDT
[#2]
My range has a special steel frame (huge) with cardboard for patterning shot.  No problem on any distance with slugs.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 4:28:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Our gun club has a rifle range with about 20 benches and with backers at 25, 50, 100, 200 and 300.
We don't allow shot guns on the rifle range as they tear up the backers too badly and they won't make it to the next range day.
Someone always gets silly.

So, we have a shot gun area with backers at two distances. The backers are different than the rifle range ones, they are not 2x4 frames with Coroplast screwed onto the 2x4s, they are some kinda metal sticking up about 4' -4.5' and has a orange grid/netting wrapped around it,  you can take sheets of cardboard, poster paper or whatever and close pin them to the grid for sighting in and patterning.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 6:11:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By smullen:
Our gun club has a rifle range with about 20 benches and with backers at 25, 50, 100, 200 and 300.
We don't allow shot guns on the rifle range as they tear up the backers too badly and they won't make it to the next range day.

So, we have a shot gun area with backers at two distances. The backers are different than the rifle range ones, they are not 2x4 frames with Coroplast screwed onto the 2x4s, they are some kinda metal sticking up about 4' -4.5' and has a orange grid/netting wrapped around it,  you can take sheets of cardboard, poster paper or whatever and close pin them to the grid for sighting in and patterning.
View Quote

That's a good idea and how it should be.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 6:14:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By smullen:

View Quote

Or make people bring their own target stand. I'd have no problem bringing my own targets, stands and plates, but I've never seen anybody even offer that option.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 6:21:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
My range has a special steel frame (huge) with cardboard for patterning shot.  No problem on any distance with slugs.
View Quote

Mine is similar.  They have one certain type of target stand they use for 87.87878787% of shooters.  Those get torn up when people use birdshot and buckshot.

So they ask that you use the special shotgun stands when shooting those guys.  They dont mind slugs through the normal target stands.  I guess people can control those well enough to not tear up the stands.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top