Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2022 12:11:20 PM EDT
The esteemed Dr. Christopher E. Larsen discusses the military training open to civilians:

While some of the video certainly promotes the training offered at One Shepard, he proposes an noteworthy list of required competencies and training:

Is Military Training Open to Civilians?

While I would agree with him to an extent that it is an issue when some people who prioritize marksmanship to the detriment of all other competencies, and that tactics and Force-on-Force are critical, I wonder what everyone else thinks about it?  What are the required competencies and training?  What are good places for a civilian go to get them?

I once had a General with nearly 40 years in the infantry tell me that while command talks about all kinds of things, at the end of the day hitting your target when you needed to was the most important thing.

Fitness, Medical, Marksmanship, Tactics, Comms, and Land Nav are core competencies.  Leadership training and combatives are well worth having.  Some of those things are mentioned in the video, some are not directly mentioned.

I always worked to get fellow soldiers into climbing, as an activity climbing is ideal for developing fitness and mindset.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 1:43:36 PM EDT
[#1]
What makes him esteemed?
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 2:03:34 PM EDT
[#2]
OTH, I can teach most of that to a guerrilla band in 2-4 weeks with 6-8 instructors.  Including airborne / air assault (but not jumpmaster or air movement planning) if there's access to parachutes, riggers and aircraft.

Airborne training helps build confidence / esprit, but individual basic static line training?  What's the point unless you have a bunch of equally trained guys and a buddy with a CASA 212 or a Shorts Skyvan.  And whose the jumpmaster to figure the CARP for a GMR insertion?

This video describes a long road.

And where do you learn the really hard bits?  Mental flexibility and toughness, grit.  Hard to learn that over a weekend or even a week.  

Link Posted: 8/29/2022 2:17:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ODA_564:
OTH, I can teach most of that to a guerrilla band in 2-4 weeks with 6-8 instructors.  Including airborne / air assault (but not jumpmaster or air movement planning) if there's access to parachutes, riggers and aircraft.

Airborne training helps build confidence / esprit, but individual basic static line training?  What's the point unless you have a bunch of equally trained guys and a buddy with a CASA 212 or a Shorts Skyvan.  And whose the jumpmaster to figure the CARP for a GMR insertion?

This video describes a long road.

And where do you learn the really hard bits?  Mental flexibility and toughness, grit.  Hard to learn that over a weekend or even a week.  

View Quote

This…
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 2:17:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By QCMGR:
What makes him esteemed?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
What makes him esteemed?

Dr. Christopher E. Larsen is an educator in the art of leadership; an instructional designer for the defense industry; an author in the doctrine of tactical operations; and a researcher in the cognitive science of emergent pedagogical models.

Christopher holds a PhD from the University of Missouri in learning technologies with an emphasis area of educational psychology. His dissertation research explored emergent trends within the cognitive apprenticeship model of learning and instruction. Additionally Christopher holds a MEd in educational technology with an emphasis in instructional system design, plus a BS in mass communication with a minor in history.

A quick overview of Christopher’s instructional appointments includes work in the public schools of South Korea, military professionals of foreign militaries in Iraq, as well as professional warriors and scholars in service to the US Armed Forces.

Christopher has served as a curriculum developer for both the US Army and his own not-for-profit program, One Shepherd, the Technical Institute of Leadership. These projects included the development of live, virtual, and constructive simulation.

I've seen positive reviews of his books:

Light Infantry Tactics: For Small Teams

OPFOR SMARTbook 3 - Red Team Army

Small Unit Tactics Smartbook
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 2:23:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: QCMGR] [#5]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By R_S:
What makes him esteemed?

Dr. Christopher E. Larsen is an educator in the art of leadership; an instructional designer for the defense industry; an author in the doctrine of tactical operations; and a researcher in the cognitive science of emergent pedagogical models.

Christopher holds a PhD from the University of Missouri in learning technologies with an emphasis area of educational psychology. His dissertation research explored emergent trends within the cognitive apprenticeship model of learning and instruction. Additionally Christopher holds a MEd in educational technology with an emphasis in instructional system design, plus a BS in mass communication with a minor in history.

A quick overview of Christopher’s instructional appointments includes work in the public schools of South Korea, military professionals of foreign militaries in Iraq, as well as professional warriors and scholars in service to the US Armed Forces.

Christopher has served as a curriculum developer for both the US Army and his own not-for-profit program, One Shepherd, the Technical Institute of Leadership. These projects included the development of live, virtual, and constructive simulation.

I've seen positive reviews of his books:

Light Infantry Tactics: For Small Teams

OPFOR SMARTbook 3 - Red Team Army

Small Unit Tactics Smartbook

He has the same credentials as many of the people that are members here.  There are members here with better credentials  I would hold in high esteem.  Not a guy who started a war game club in high school…

APC is where I would go for training…
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 5:19:42 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote
And he was an infantryman for 9 years, ending up an Staff Sergeant.

Yeah, that sure trumps being Chief, SF Doctrine, a SWC instructional company, & practical experience training US & foreign troops...  Plus actually leading & doing.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 1:54:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Yeah, that sure trumps being Chief, SF Doctrine, a SWC instructional company, & practical experience training US & foreign troops...  Plus actually leading & doing.
View All Quotes

Wouldn't debate you on that.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 10:21:42 AM EDT
[#8]
9 Years infantry?
That makes my 7 years Infantry and 19 years SF a PHD in tactics: 2.8 times over
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 12:41:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Guy posts some interesting info and folks seem compelled to compete with the authors credentials.

Instead of making this a dick measuring contest maybe post specific information that Larson has gotten wrong. Or post your experiences at One Shepard? Or just a link to your school that you run or the books you've written.

Or just continue to pretend the shit you used to do remains relevant.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 2:02:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Stukas87:
9 Years infantry?
That makes my 7 years Infantry and 19 years SF a PHD in tactics: 2.8 times over
View Quote

Jeff, your experience probably does give you a PHD in tactics... but that said Christopher Larson has been living, breathing, and teaching infantry tactics at One Shepard for decades as well as publishing on the subject.  To address QCMGR's statement about going to APC for training instead... Ben actually indicated that he got the idea for APC from seeing One Shepard's program.

I'm open minded enough to listen to lots of people and then sort through the chafe.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 2:50:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I don’t understand the dudes that have military training that is “superior” to what is being given by the companies mentioned in the video are complaining about. We like free markets, correct? Then maybe use your tax payer funded training to train others.  

Larsen has done an amazing thing and inspired others to continue that. The last event I was at with his organization had about 90 folks with MILES, some in the field for a week. And yes, a lot of us are prior mil but a lot more are young folks, that now have a love for that kind of thing. Those kids would love to learn from some SF folks too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top