Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2021 6:49:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scout1502]

Paired with decompression needle or burping
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 4:16:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: King_Mud] [#1]
Considering that a big thing about Tegaderm is that it's breathable I wouldn't expect it to make much of a chest seal.

Since a twin pack of HyFin Compacts is $12 I guess I don't see the point.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 4:43:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Just buy a commercial chest seal.
Alternatively any think plastic, think MRE bag and some impermeable tape can work.
I would just purchase an actual commercial product first.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 1:45:28 PM EDT
[#3]
So it’s clear. LOL. I do in fact have a proper ifak. Two vented chest seals, the whole nine. Got it covered. I’m looking alternative materials that are steril. Although not a priority. But something anyone can walk into Walmart and buy without ordering online.

Like for instance. I can use an ace bandage and 5x9 to make a pressure bandage. In the same first aid isle. I can wound pack with rolled gauze and cover with 5x9 gauze and an ace bandage.

So besides thick plastic to keep in your home first aid kit or vehicle ifak/first aid kit. What can we all come up with that would work as a make shift chest seal purchased from Walmart.

Ya I didn’t realize it was breathable. But how breathable we talking. It says it’s water proof. And that could still save a life paired with a needle for decompression or burping the “seal”.

I know we can do it. Let’s see what we come up with possibly.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 6:40:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NotIssued] [#4]
Makeshift?

A glove.  Whether or not your hand is in it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:36:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Tegaderms are super thin and not made to be reapplied after pulling it off. If you remove part of it to release the air it isn't going to adhere well the second time.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 6:47:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Saran wrap. Learned from the Brits a decade ago that it also makes an exceptional field-expedient burn dressing.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 8:11:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice. Good info.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 4:32:29 PM EDT
[#8]
You use cut up sandwich bags and some tape .a cop in New York city use tape and chip bag to save a man's life
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 8:01:11 PM EDT
[#9]
The problem with very thin materials is that they may not hold up - get sucked into the wound.  Saran Wrap for example has no stiffness.  I teach TCCC, TECC and WFA .  30 yr ER/trauma and ICU nurse w/ multiple deployments.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 2:03:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Just buy Chest seals

I’ve used just about everything for a seal. Petroleum gauze. Duct tape. Plastic baggies. Gloves. It’ll work long enough
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:32:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rich1967:
The problem with very thin materials is that they may not hold up - get sucked into the wound.  Saran Wrap for example has no stiffness.  I teach TCCC, TECC and WFA .  30 yr ER/trauma and ICU nurse w/ multiple deployments.
View Quote

The way I learned it from one of their providers was to use a few circumferential wraps. He highlighted that building up the material with fair tension prevents collapse. Can make for a messy view port if the cavity starts leaking blood/fluid, but in prehospital conditions something is better than nothing.
Certainly wouldn't be my go-to chest seal but it's an option.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 11:57:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By northcoastwizard:

The way I learned it from one of their providers was to use a few circumferential wraps. He highlighted that building up the material with fair tension prevents collapse. Can make for a messy view port if the cavity starts leaking blood/fluid, but in prehospital conditions something is better than nothing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By northcoastwizard:
Originally Posted By rich1967:

I avoid wrapping tightly with the exception of evisceration but this is correct. Definitely prefer a vented seal for larger holes but a couple layers of saran wrap will work just fine. - 18D
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top