Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2023 10:24:32 AM EDT
Title says it. My goal is just to have fun doing something active and learn something new. I have no desire to become a cage fighter or anything.

The problem is, I live in the boonies and I am only looking for something local. The only options near me are: Tae Kwon Do, Jiu Jitsu, and a place that calls itself PKSA karate (I don't know what that means).

Given these options, what would you recommend or what more info should I seek?
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 7:35:01 PM EDT
[#1]
BJJ.  Start going.  Don't quit.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 9:47:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Another vote for Jiu Jitsu. I’m legitimately addicted to it, it’s so much fun.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 9:20:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/10/2023 3:14:39 PM EDT
[#4]
JJ is a great place to start.  See if you can take a class at each to make a more informed decision about each school.  Boxing isn't a terrible option either.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 12:52:53 PM EDT
[#5]
BJJ, boxing, judo, wrestling, muay thai.  Not in that order but any or all of those.  In your situation of location, BJJ all day.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 12:59:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Brazilian jiu-jitsu.

Tap early. Don't get joint injuries
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 2:10:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I've browsed the websites, and the JJ place says they do Brazilian style and the owner/instructor has good qualifications, it seems.

This one is close to work, so it likely is most convenient. I think that may be the right answer. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 2:07:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NickPapagiorgio] [#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Nightstalker32:
BJJ, boxing, judo, wrestling, muay thai.  Not in that order but any or all of those.  In your situation of location, BJJ all day.
View Quote

This

Regular kickboxing (as opposed to muay Thai) can be good too if it's an actual fight gym, the problem is that in the US most (but not all) places marketed as "kickboxing" gyms are cardio kickboxing for soccer moms. There are exceptions but that's the norm
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 6:15:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Brother I am biased and will add a +1 to the jiu jitsu. However, make sure you research your gym and the reviews if there are any. Heck I would advise even if you are trying to get you feet wet watch a class see how the instruction goes. There are some schools that are formal and make you purchase their equipment like if you went to say a Gracie Barra gym you have to buy their Gi their rashguard and their belts. Never been to Gracie Barra this is second hand knowledge from a friend that traveled to one on vacation. Heck you might even find a decent gym that offers other combat sports my gym does muay thai and BJJ there are some that offer a complete package with boxing, mma, wrestling, bjj, yoga, and a full sized gym.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top