Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2008 8:44:27 AM EDT
After a month of collecting up the guns and outfit, I finally made my first match.

Lesson 1 - Don't shoot a match in cowboy boots with snow/frost on the ground. (was a wonderful 29 degrees out)

Lesson 2 - Ensure that your rifle has the correct ammo for the match.  Mine doesn't like semi wadcutters and jammed totally on two stages causing 19 automatic misses.

Lesson 3 - Send rifle in for short stroke kit and tuning.  (Used buddies rifle for last two stages and was a dream, even though you think it didn't cycle, it did.)

Lesson 4 - Practive, Practice, Practice and then practice some more

It was overall a GREAT time and can't wait until spring and doing it some more.

It's not about the score or the placement, it is all about having fun and shooting with GREAT people and making new friends. (Actually didn't finish last but came in 68th out of 72 and shot two clean stages.  For being my first match and having the rifle/ammo issues, I can only improve from there.)

Link Posted: 11/26/2008 8:55:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sharps54] [#1]
I shot a couple matches but couldn't get into it. It is mainly speed shooting (ETA accuracy wasn't a big deal with big targets and short distances at the matches I attended) and some of the gaming stuff just rubbed me the wrong way. I know, if they aren't breaking the rules they are fine, I just preferred to shoot black powder loads in authentic weapons as opposed to mouse fart loads in .32 caliber weapons or short stroked rifles. I'm not saying those things are wrong for SASS just that it wasn't the sport I was looking for.

You are right about the folks being friendly, just about everyone I met was really nice so if the shooting doesn't bother you then have at it. Like you mentioned it is mainly a social event with a little shooting.
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 12:21:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Glad you had a great time! It is fun!

Yeah, I agree about the ammo. I used SWC ammo at first and it worked okay in my lever action, but not very smoothly. I switched to RNFP have had no problems at all.
Mine does not have a short stroke kit, but that's a personal issue.  I prefer my rifle to be stock.  My Vaqueros have Wolff springs to smooth out the actions though.

I have not shot a match when it was as cold as yours was, but I have when it was about 115+.  This is AZ btw.

Good job on the clean stages!  Next thing you know, you will have shot a clean match!

Link Posted: 2/27/2009 11:24:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks.  Match was on for Sunday but snow and rain are coming in.  Range is half frozen so they may cancel as any more precip on the ground and the range is toast for the match.

Guess I will have to wait until the end of the month for the next one.

BTW - don't rub it in, GF is from Pheonix and we can't wait to get down there permanently.  The hold up is my .gov job and finding one there.  She's a Funeral Director from there and can get a job anytime.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:50:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Sharps, most shoots (of any size, anyway) have different classifications.  If you were shooting BP against the Moderns, yeah, I imagine it seemed like a speed shoot, where you were the Model T.  Have shot the Holy Black a couple of times, do it for the fun/nostalgia, not for any bragging rights.  If someone is in it just for the "awards", then they don't have the "spirit of the game".  Heck with 'em.  My $.02.
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 5:37:42 PM EDT
[#5]
WELCOME to the Addiction!!!!

Come on down to NC and SC for some more fun!!!

PS: "The Shootout At Givhans Ferry" (SC State Championship) is a lot of fun!!!!
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 2:21:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Three matches in this year so far.  Got the rifle action tuned and is much better (not short stroke but action job).  

Going to have to burn up almost 3000K of SWC with 5 gr of Unique for practice.  Used them in the pistol for first two matches and the recoil is considerable vs the 2.5 gr of clays for the 148 gr RNFP I bought.

Bad habit to break - using right thumb to cock the pistols.  Before this I never shot single action but always cocked my Ruger Security Six with my right thumb.  Did it with the left last match and seemed to pick up 5-8 seconds per stage.

We'll see how Sunday does.

Tumor are you coming up for the  COPS vs. Cowboys at Thurmont?  Have you shot with Cody Conagher or Chuckaroo before?  They go down that way alot.
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 8:33:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By grywlf52:
Have you shot with Cody Conagher or Chuckaroo before?

Yep.......they come down here........we "allow" them 3 trips a year into the Confederacy.........

Link Posted: 5/10/2010 8:08:08 AM EDT
[#8]
A year later and at the Shoot for the Cure charity match this weekend, I shot my first clean match.

Placed 48th of 86 overall and 9th of 13 in my class.  Not bad for the first match I shot this year and no time for practice.

Link Posted: 6/5/2010 10:01:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By grywlf52:
I shot my first clean match.

Good job!!!!  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top