Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2022 3:16:11 PM EDT
I don’t have enough training to carry a full IFAK on my belt.  I’m thinking shears and a tourniquet in a  High Speed Gear Bleeder/Blowout MOLLE Medical Pouch will be enough to go to the range and not be totally empty handed in an emergency.  

Or is this a waste of time and belt space? Should I wait for medical training and get a full IFAK kit (ie Blue Firce micro, etc)?

Mission is just outdoor training, some competition, and some SHTF confidence.

I’m in Nashville so I’ll be taking medical at The Armory.  Just a matter of timing.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 5:43:36 PM EDT
[#1]
A doctor friend of me told me they drove upon a bad wreck one time with a number of victims in eastern Kentucky.

The person in front of them was a nurse who had a supply of medical gear and they saved lives between the two.

Even if you don't know how to use I would suggest a nice blue force alpha gear one, you won't regret it.

Link Posted: 11/26/2022 2:12:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: northcoastwizard] [#2]
I'd wait. If you're buying, build a bleeder kit(TQ, packing gauze, compression wrap, chest seals, NPA).
You can probably find an old mag pouch you have sitting somewhere and repurpose it for med gear until you get more training, then you'll have a better idea of what all you want on your kit, and how/where to put it.

A full size IFAK is usually kinda big, most people find them best mounted to a vest/chest rig.

If you find yourself living in kit regularly, what a lot of guys find themselves doing is scaling their gear, so they have a bleeder kit on the belt, mount the rest on their armor; extra bandages, bulkier adjuncts, etc in a bag.
Redundancy may be a privilege you don't need, but that way you'll always have something on you if you lose either of the 3.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 10:36:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Everythingisawesome] [#3]
Your IFAK isn't for you to use.  It's for others (who are medically trained) to use ON YOU.

Yes, you should have an IFAK.
Yes, you should attend basic medical training.
Yes, you should encourage others around you to also attend medical training.

A ziplock bag of IFAK contents in a cargo pocket will work in a pinch, as longs as someone can find it in an emergency.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 7:42:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Everythingisawesome:
Your IFAK isn't for you to use.  It's for others (who are medically trained) to use ON YOU.

Yes, you should have an IFAK.
Yes, you should attend basic medical training.
Yes, you should encourage others around you to also attend medical training.

A ziplock bag of IFAK contents in a cargo pocket will work in a pinch, as longs as someone can find it in an emergency.
View Quote

THIS
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 7:42:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Primary medical equipment for severe trauma includes:

Disposable Nitrile Gloves – 7 mil, non-black gloves preferred.

Medical scissors/Trauma Shears

Tourniquet – CAT (Combat Application Tourniquet) or SOF Tactical Tourniquet (SOFTT)

Hemostatic agent – Combat Gauze or ChitoGauze

CoFlex NL

Bandage wrap – Kerlix gauze or similar

Chest Seal -North American Rescue Hyfin Vent Chest Seal
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:30:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top