Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2024 6:19:14 PM EDT
Now that the ATF have banned the sale of simunition imports from Canada is there a legal American made alternative?
That us dirty civilians can buy that is.
I’m looking for 9mm Simunition compatible. I’ve found distributors but they all say LEO of Gov’t only.

Not looking to break any laws
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:54:56 PM EDT
[#1]
FATF banned sale to civilians period. I used to get UTM.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:15:33 PM EDT
[#2]
What possible reason did they give for banning this?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:03:06 PM EDT
[#3]
They banned importation of marking rounds, UTM and Simunitions FX for purely political reasons.

In particular, there is an anti-gun lawyer political appointee in Imports Branch who thought that marking rounds could be used as an anti-personnel round and therefore had no "sporting purpose" and could be banned from importation.

While I don't like it, from a legal standpoint, the government can do all sorts of import-related shenanigans if they feel like it with little legal recourse. The companies can only do internal appeals to ATF, which go nowhere.

Blanks can still be imported, because they have "sporting purposes."

UTM and FX can now be imported again, but only to government entities who do end-user certificates, and the ammo has to ship directly to them. There are no further restrictions though, and at some point in time, gray market ammo will pop up, as it will not be unlawful to possess it. But it will probably take awhile and there won't be reliable supply chains.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:04:06 PM EDT
[#4]
The "Force on Force" brand was bought by the same parent company as Simunitions and were being managed together. Those were for sale to non-government entities, but a number of supply chain issues, including the fact that little Simunitions came into the country for over a year, caused all of the distributors to run out, and Simunitions halted sales to non-government until they could fill back orders. They were also directing customers to their already established "Trusted Range" program which let ranges/companies with liability insurance and documented training buy FX rounds.

"Force on Force" has been spun off and is completely separate from Simunitions now, apparently to avoid ATF issues. I imagine that as they catch up with government orders, they will probably restart civilian sales. But they are still going through a backlog, and a lot of agencies switched because they are a little cleaner and don't have the import hassles. They are shipping fairly large quantities right now and seem to have caught up with 2023 orders. So maybe soon.

Keep in mind that some places, like Texas, have upped training requirements. Every cop in Texas (about 80K), now has to take a 16 hour active shooter class every two years, starting last fall. The official mandatory curriculum for that requires several hundred rounds of marking rounds per student. So that is 20-30 million rounds MORE than in past years. Demand will be high for a bit until they catch up with the new normal.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:08:27 PM EDT
[#5]
hey, @PalmettoStateArmory
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top