BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 8:57:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Chevyguy2012:

Interesting, so after looking through both the glass is almost comparable to gen1 razor?

The big push for me on the pst over the razor is the magnification range. The price doesn't hurt either lol, but that's not my main drive budget is around 1500-1700 if need be I just want the best glass for the moneu
View Quote
The glass on the one I got is nuts.

Much nicer than I could have anticipated.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 9:49:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd really like to compare the glass on the pst gen 2 and Razor gen 1. I'm going to check with Mile High next week and see how long they plan to run the Razor 5-20 and Sphur deal. I'm using a cheap Leupold on my Tikka for now until my gun fund gets back up there so I can buy decent glass.

I'm almost 100% I'll be going with Vortex, just a matter of which one.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 2:43:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Finslayer83] [#3]
Range trip AAR.

Love the scope.

Compared to my 6-24x50 pst the glass is superior.

While the 6-24x has the extra 4x of magnification it loses out compared to the razor at 20x in terms of clarity. In short the razor at 20x is visually better at 1k than the pst at 24x.

Good deal for what MHS is charging. Compared it to a 4.5-27 on a fellow shooters rifle and my eyes couldn't tell much difference.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 3:11:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Glad to hear. I'm 99% sure that's what I'm getting

I handled a gen 1 razor today when I picked up my rpr. Gotta wait a few weeks to get permanent glass for though.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 12:15:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:
Range trip AAR.

Love the scope.

Compared to my 6-24x50 pst the glass is superior.

While the 6-24x has the extra 4x of magnification it loses out compared to the razor at 20x in terms of clarity. In short the razor at 20x is visually better at 1k than the pst at 24x.

Good deal for what MHS is charging. Compared it to a 4.5-27 on a fellow shooters rifle and my eyes couldn't tell much difference.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/164007/IMG-1869-178692.JPG
View Quote
I'm looking into getting a new scope for my Tikka CTR 6.5 in a KRG X-ray.  I'm upgrading from a Viper PST 4-16, which I think has pretty "meh" glass, especially at 16x.  Both the Gen 1 and 2 Razors are at the top of my list.  The weight of the Gen 2 is just such a buzzkill...are you having any regrets about getting the Gen 1 (such as the reticle or the turrets)?
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 4:10:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By M-60:

Having used both, Get the Razor.

You'll thank me someday.
View Quote
I have no experience with a gen 2 pst
But I have a gen 1 and gen 2 razor and they are both miles ahead of the gen 1 pst.
Go gen 1 razor and don't look back. Especially with that free spuhr mount deal going on.
I'm seriously considering buying another gen 1 razor. And offloading my Burris xtr II.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 5:51:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Interesting, so after looking through both the glass is almost comparable to gen1 razor?

The big push for me on the pst over the razor is the magnification range. The price doesn't hurt either lol, but that's not my main drive budget is around 1500-1700 if need be I just want the best glass for the moneu
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:

Scott told me they built a CNC robot to epoxy-bed the optical elements in place for the PST Gen IIs and Razors.

I would put a Gen I Razor and a Gen II PST in more of the same class.

They put XD glass into the Gen II PSTs as well.

I've only been able to look through the Gen II PSTs indoors at SHOT, but the glass was very clear.

They are a different animal than the regular PSTs across the board.

Seems more like an improved 30mm tube Razor to me, with HD glass and Razor zero stop, but lower profile turrets and integrated illumination into the side of the SF knob.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:08:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:

I've only been able to look through the Gen II PSTs indoors at SHOT, but the glass was very clear.

They are a different animal than the regular PSTs across the board.

Seems more like an improved 30mm tube Razor to me, with HD glass and Razor zero stop, but lower profile turrets and integrated illumination into the side of the SF knob.
View Quote
I've been searching and searching for a review of the gen II PSTs. I get chromatic abberation at max magnification with both my 4-16FFP Gen I PSTs. Was this present at all with the Gen IIs you handled?
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 1:05:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By derek58:

I'm looking into getting a new scope for my Tikka CTR 6.5 in a KRG X-ray.  I'm upgrading from a Viper PST 4-16, which I think has pretty "meh" glass, especially at 16x.  Both the Gen 1 and 2 Razors are at the top of my list.  The weight of the Gen 2 is just such a buzzkill...are you having any regrets about getting the Gen 1 (such as the reticle or the turrets)?
View Quote
Not at all.

Love the reticle and the turrets while large - are very nice.

Don't think it can be beat for under $2k.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 1:16:48 AM EDT
[#10]

Not at all.

Love the reticle and the turrets while large - are very nice.

Don't think it can be beat for under $2k.
View Quote
You don't find the reticle to be too thick?  I unfortunately haven't looked through one in person so I just have pictures to go off of.

The other scope I'm looking at is the Steiner T5Xi 3-15x50.  Has HD glass, low-profile turrets, and an illumination knob in a better location.  But it's a bit spendier and the mag range is lower (the 5-25x56 is too much for my purposes).  You seem to have done a lot of research, so I'm just curious as to your opinion and experiences.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 2:25:44 PM EDT
[#11]
As for the reticle being too thick - I don't think so, at least for my uses.

At 100y for groups (don't shoot these often) it's fine.

99% of what I shoot at are plates. Even the little 4" swingers at 600 & 6" at 1000 are fine with the reticle.

Example of the 1k line

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 7:18:42 PM EDT
[#12]
One of my the things I like about the reticle in the Razor, is the open center.  Even when the lines are a bit on the "thick" side when zoomed up, the open center allows very precise aim.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 9:17:54 PM EDT
[#13]

99% of what I shoot at are plates. Even the little 4" swingers at 600 & 6" at 1000 are fine with the reticle.

Example of the 1k line

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/164007/IMG-1831-181512.JPG
View Quote
What is that pic from? Spotting scope?
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 1:08:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Which Spuhr mount would you all recommend for the Razor Gen 1 being utilized on a Tikka T3X CTR?
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 6:24:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By M4-AR:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M4-AR:

Example of the 1k line

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/164007/IMG-1831-181512.JPG
Yes some fancy zeiss one a buddy at the range has.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 6:35:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By jlficken:
MOA - http://www.milehighshooting.com/vortex-rif-vt-rzr-52005-razor-hd-5-20x50-ebr-2b-moa-free-spuhr-mount/

MIL - http://www.milehighshooting.com/vortex-rif-vt-rzr-52006-razor-hd-5-20x50-ebr-2b-10mrad-free-spuhr-mount/
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By buoux:
A Razor is always going to be better than a PST.

With Gen I Razor packages being sold at Mile High Shooting including a free Spuhr mount for $1699 I would go with the Razor.
You got a link to that page on their website?

I'm not seeing it....
MOA - http://www.milehighshooting.com/vortex-rif-vt-rzr-52005-razor-hd-5-20x50-ebr-2b-moa-free-spuhr-mount/

MIL - http://www.milehighshooting.com/vortex-rif-vt-rzr-52006-razor-hd-5-20x50-ebr-2b-10mrad-free-spuhr-mount/
This thread is changing my mind. I didn't think it would but it is.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 9:50:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Well guys I went ahead and got a gen 2 razor 3-18 I found on snipers hide classifieds ill receive it Monday and post pictures. Im pretty excited this is the nicest glass Ive ever bought In the future I would still like to eventually like to get the 4.5-27 still but ill just keep this one and move it to another gun.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 12:05:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Well guys I went ahead and got a gen 2 razor 3-18 I found on snipers hide classifieds ill receive it Monday and post pictures. Im pretty excited this is the nicest glass Ive ever bought In the future I would still like to eventually like to get the 4.5-27 still but ill just keep this one and move it to another gun.
View Quote
I think I'm going to do the exact same thing at the end of the month.  I just really hope it's not too heavy for my uses
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:23:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Scope still isnt here! however updated shipping says today!!!!
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:24:41 PM EDT
[#20]
I received the scope today! Man this thing is awesome Im in love. The seller included a set of burris xtreme tactical rings, I was planning on buying a spuhr mount but now that I have these I might just buy a 20 moa base a bubble level and use what Ive got. What do you guy think?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 3:33:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I received the scope today! Man this thing is awesome Im in love. The seller included a set of burris xtreme tactical rings, I was planning on buying a spuhr mount but now that I have these I might just buy a 20 moa base a bubble level and use what Ive got. What do you guy think?
View Quote
If the rings are good, I'd just get a level and base and call it good.

Spuhr mounts are the spendy.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 7:20:14 PM EDT
[#22]

If the rings are good, I'd just get a level and base and call it good.

Spuhr mounts are the spendy.
View Quote
The rings are brand new low burris extremes with a mount tactical 20 moa rail they should work with my razor from what I've read. I think I'm going to go that route I'm so ready to shoot this thing it's not even funny!
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:11:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 4/13/2017 10:29:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:52:26 AM EDT
[#25]
She's a looker.
I've only shot with mine a few times so far, but this summer I'm going to work it out a bunch.
This is the 27x version, but very similar.
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-x9kFczM/0/XL/i-x9kFczM-XL.jpg
View Quote
Now I just need to buy the damn tikka to put in the stock Im going to try and hold off until whitaker has the 24" in 6.5s back in stock for like 820$ idk if I can hold off that long but Im going to try lol!
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:18:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Bad Out of focus ifone shot, but you get the gist.  This is at 1K with the Gen 2 EBR-2C at 1K.  I too like the open center of the reticle.

Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:55:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By spill:
Bad Out of focus ifone shot, but you get the gist.  This is at 1K with the Gen 2 EBR-2C at 1K.  I too like the open center of the reticle.

http://i.imgur.com/QTQiP4q.jpg
View Quote
Is that the 3-18 as well?
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 4:53:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spill] [#28]

Is that the 3-18 as well?
View Quote
4.5-27 FFP
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 10:05:40 PM EDT
[#29]
@Chevyguy2012
What do you think of your Gen I Razor 5-20 vs. the Gen II Razor 3-18?
Does newer glass on the Gen II make up for the slightly lesser zoom compared to the Gen I?
Differences in the turrets?

I started out looking at an $1100 PST Gen II, but this thread is pushing me up towards the Gen I 5-20.
Is the Gen I really $600 better? Or $200 better with a $400 Spuhr mount?

This is also going to go on a new RPR 6.5CR.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 10:10:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By NotUrLawyer:
@Chevyguy2012
What do you think of your Gen I Razor 5-20 vs. the Gen II Razor 3-18?
Does newer glass on the Gen II make up for the slightly lesser zoom compared to the Gen I?
Differences in the turrets?

I started out looking at an $1100 PST Gen II, but this thread is pushing me up towards the Gen I 5-20.
Is the Gen I really $600 better? Or $200 better with a $400 Spuhr mount?

This is also going to go on a new RPR 6.5CR.
View Quote
It’s worth the extra cost to me, my razor is amazing. Everyone that has shot my RPR has been blown away with the glass.

Link Posted: 5/14/2018 10:25:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperJlarge] [#31]
Turrets and mag range are better on the Gen 2 PST, but the glass is slightly better on the Razor Gen I. The Razor also has a more internal adjustment, brighter image and a wider focus range (when adjusting the parallax, the image is clearer throughout more of the adjustment range).

Before spending 1600 for a package deal, I’d get a Gen 2 Razor and some Seekins rings for a bit more. The Gen 2 Razor Glass is a step above the Gen I Razor, with some killer turrets.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 10:33:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:
Turrets and mag range are better on the Gen 2 PST, but the glass is slightly better on the Razor Gen I. The Razor also has a more internal adjustment, brighter image and a wider focus range (when adjusting the parallax, the image is clearer throughout more of the adjustment range).

Before spending 1600 for a package deal, I’d get a Gen 2 Razor and some Seekins rings for a bit more. The Gen 2 Razor Glass is a step above the Gen I Razor, with some killer turrets.
View Quote
Are you suggesting a Gen II 3-18 or a 4.5-27?
The 4.5-27 is too far out of my budget.
Local shop has a Gen II 3-18 that's priced similarly to a Gen I 5-20.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 12:43:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BushmasterGuy77] [#33]
I have a Gen 2 Razor and 2x Gen 2 PSTs. The Gen 2 PSTs are much nicer than the Gen 1 PSTs that I owned. While that glass isn't as nice as a Razor, it's up there.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 12:45:52 AM EDT
[#34]
the razor will have better glass.
The viper will have a better feature set.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 7:33:34 PM EDT
[#35]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/equipment-exchange/WTS-Vortex-Razor-gen-1-5-20x50-MOA-with-precision-match-cantilever/163-1768605/
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 9:34:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Vigildom7:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/equipment-exchange/WTS-Vortex-Razor-gen-1-5-20x50-MOA-with-precision-match-cantilever/163-1768605/
View Quote
https://www.milehighshooting.com/vortex-rif-vt-rzr-52005-razor-hd-5-20x50-ebr-2b-moa-includes-spuhr-mount/
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 11:28:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By NotUrLawyer:

Are you suggesting a Gen II 3-18 or a 4.5-27?
The 4.5-27 is too far out of my budget.
Local shop has a Gen II 3-18 that's priced similarly to a Gen I 5-20.
View Quote
You can find a lightly used 4.5-27 for around 2k, maybe even 1950$.

The 3-18 would work, but I’d pay the little bit extra to get the 9x added on the top end.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 12:06:56 AM EDT
[#38]
I recently bought a PST Gen 2 to put on my new RPR.  I have a 6.5 Howa build with an SWFA SS on it.  Not an HD variant, just the regular SS.

Gotta say, hands down, the PST gen 2 smokes the SWFA SS.  So much clearer, better contrast, everything is just better.  I was extremely surprised.  Love it.  Have been thinking of selling the SWFA and getting another PST Gen 2.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 12:12:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M4A1Carbine] [#39]
Originally Posted By jatobi:
I recently bought a PST Gen 2 to put on my new RPR.  I have a 6.5 Howa build with an SWFA SS on it.  Not an HD variant, just the regular SS.

Gotta say, hands down, the PST gen 2 smokes the SWFA SS.  So much clearer, better contrast, everything is just better.  I was extremely surprised.  Love it.  Have been thinking of selling the SWFA and getting another PST Gen 2.
View Quote
I made the same upgrade, the 3-15x44 PST II blows the SWFA 3-15x42 away. The turrets and zero stop are more tactile and easier to use, and the glass is much nicer. Very happy with my PST Gen II.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 12:28:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By M4A1Carbine:

I made the same upgrade, the 3-15x44 PST II blows the SWFA 3-15x42 away. The turrets and zero stop are more tactile and easier to use, and the glass is much nicer. Very happy with my PST Gen II.
View Quote
Yup, everything about it is superior IMO.  I was really surprised, I didn't expect that much of a jump in clarity between the SWFA SS and the PST Gen 2.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 3:44:25 PM EDT
[#41]
I couldn't justify the extra coin for a Razor and went with the Viper PST Gen2 5-25x50.
I think it's awesome. The glass is very clear/bright and I like the open center in the reticle. My only other scope is a 1" 3-9x Nikon Monarch on an AR; it's night and day going between the two. If the Razor is that much better than the PST my wallet is glad I never compared the two side-by-side.
Attachment Attached File
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top