Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 22
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:11:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Saryan] [#1]
My Christensen Arms barrel showed up. This is the 18" model. They are using SAAMI chambers.

Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:31:05 AM EDT
[#2]
That thing is badass.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 6:21:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh, good gosh.... You heathen ingrates ARE going to cost me some money.  (Damnit)

My wife is going to buy me a rifle this year, and I had my heart all set on AR10-TAC20 in
7.62x51...... But, I made the mistake of browsing some of these Grendel threads......
Aaaaaannnnd I think you all know how this is going to end up.

Ok, so goodbye 7.62 NATO & herro 6.5 Grendel & all that it entails.......

(Questions)

Is Alexander Arms good to go on most things? Such as complete rifle
quality, for example, quality lower receiver & upper receiver, BCG quality ?

If I buy from AA, should I go for the Shilen upgrade on the barrel?

Does AA have the good BCG as recommended by LRRP52 (.136), or should
I stick to the 2 manufacturers he recommended?

Who makes the best mags for the 6.5 Grendel? I desire flawless function
from a mag - I stick to NHMTG 20 rounders for my AR-15's, but I do have
some Gen3 Pmags also, so I am not too averse to plastic - I prefer metal
for SHTF

I think I will go 24" or 20" on the barrel - I will be using this as a hunting
rifle, as well as a SHTF & also a hand-me-down to my son (who might want
to get into long-distance shooting as he gets older)

I will be perfectly fine with 1 MOA at 300m - Does this sound achieveable
with the above recommendations?

Thanks all... You just cost my wife some money, and saved her some at the
same time :)
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:44:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jebsofnga:
Oh, good gosh.... You heathen ingrates ARE going to cost me some money.  (Damnit)

My wife is going to buy me a rifle this year, and I had my heart all set on AR10-TAC20 in
7.62x51...... But, I made the mistake of browsing some of these Grendel threads......

(Questions)

for SHTF

View Quote

Yes. AA sells mags too.

24" is crazy overkill if you're not shooting over 1k yards.

1" at 300 is obtainable
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:55:59 PM EDT
[#5]

(Questions)

for SHTF

View Quote

Go check out the group buy section on 65grendel.com
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:14:19 PM EDT
[#6]

(Questions)

for SHTF

View Quote

AA is the one who did all the engineering, testing, research, and development of 6.5 Grendel, to include spending well over $10,000 just on experimental reamers until settling on the chamber design that became 6.5 Grendel for production.

Their complete rifles are very good, and the receiver fit is set up to be tight.

For SHTF rifles, I like 16" and 18", or even SBR suppressed.

AA BCG quality is the standard to meet, with a lot of processes that many people haven't heard of in order to make them long-lasting and reliable.

If I could go back in time, I would have skipped all my AR10 purchases and invested in AR15 6.5 Grendels.

Wait until you hear how it hits steel targets.  It gets the attention of people at the range when they see a little AR15 smacking the steel that hard.  Doesn't make any sense to them because they are used to .223 pew pew, then hear what sounds about like a 168gr SMK hitting from a .308 Win.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:45:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:

AA is the one who did all the engineering, testing, research, and development of 6.5 Grendel, to include spending well over $10,000 just on experimental reamers until settling on the chamber design that became 6.5 Grendel for production.

Their complete rifles are very good, and the receiver fit is set up to be tight.

For SHTF rifles, I like 16" and 18", or even SBR suppressed.

AA BCG quality is the standard to meet, with a lot of processes that many people haven't heard of in order to make them long-lasting and reliable.

If I could go back in time, I would have skipped all my AR10 purchases and invested in AR15 6.5 Grendels.

Wait until you hear how it hits steel targets.  It gets the attention of people at the range when they see a little AR15 smacking the steel that hard.  Doesn't make any sense to them because they are used to .223 pew pew, then hear what sounds about like a 168gr SMK hitting from a .308 Win.
View Quote

LRRPF52,

Thank you so much for your reply :) I have enjoyed reading your posts on this
caliber, and those posts settled the decision for me. Now, I am off to tell my
wife the good news :) ;)
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:29:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DH10987] [#8]
This is my first post (long time lurker), but for those who might not be aware, it looks like AA is now selling a stand alone 18" 6.5g barrel. I have only seen the 16" mentioned in the various threads on 6.5G.

AA 18" Barrel

After reading all the discussion in these threads I've decided a 6.5G is going to be my next build, and my first foray into the precision realm.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:51:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks OP for a wealth of info...
Planning my (first 6.5G) lightweight upper build with an AA 18" fluted/lw and bolt already on backorder, which will mate with slr adj gas block, aim nitride lightweight carrier, mega forged rcvr, and 15" MI gen 3 I have on hand.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:49:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Took the Grendel out today. Barrel is the 18" Christensen arms. Ammo is the 123 ELD factory. This was the average group size of the day. I'm still waiting on my upper and rail to get here so it's in a loaner set right now. Old school larue haha. I've got another 200 rounds showing up tomorrow and will test it some more. It ran great with my Crux 6.5 Suppressor

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Saryan:
Took the Grendel out today. Barrel is the 18" Christensen arms. Ammo is the 123 ELD factory. This was the average group size of the day. I'm still waiting on my upper and rail to get here so it's in a loaner set right now. Old school larue haha. I've got another 200 rounds showing up tomorrow and will test it some more. It ran great with my Crux 6.5 Suppressor
View Quote

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!
I cant wait untill i get mine built so i can finally post some pictures!

I have 400 pieces of lapua 6.5 grendel brass, so i should be set on that front for a while, or forever!
What load did you use to make those groups?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:00:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Saryan] [#12]
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:01:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By MDStroup:

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!
I cant wait untill i get mine built so i can finally post some pictures!

I have 400 pieces of lapua 6.5 grendel brass, so i should be set on that front for a while, or forever!
What load did you use to make those groups?
View Quote

Thats factory ELD M. Straight from the box.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:49:04 PM EDT
[#14]
So far, so good experimenting with the 123gr Scenars. I only got to shoot the low end of my ladder test so far, but the numbers so far have been very consistent.

Link Posted: 3/2/2017 9:26:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I've been asking in a few places but I'll type it here as well.  I know LRRPF52 comes here often enough.

Building up the 6.5G suite of rifles and gonna add an 18" (I have a 12" on the way, a 16" AA fluted, and want a 'rifle').  Have an 18" AA fluted ordered but noticed the MLG system and think that may be too short for 18" especially considering it will have a suppressor.  My concern is the gun being over gassed.

Would a RLGS work better with a can?  Also, perhaps more important, is I want to obtain more of a "max effectiveness" of the 6.5G potential.  Is 18" enough to do that?....or should I step it up to 20" or 22"?  I believe it was LRRPF52 that said that gains after 18 or so inches is negligible.

@LRRPF52  what do you think about those two questions? (gas system length...and length of barrel to squeeze the most of the cartridge long range)
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 2:11:21 AM EDT
[#16]
FYI, Odin Works has an 18" intermediate gas system that is longer than mid and shorter than rifle.  Building mine tomorrow so will see how it goes.  I shoot suppressed, will be using a GA Recce 7, so I opted for an adjustable gas block, what I would do if worried about gas.  I like the one from Odin Works, so hopefully that goes well.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 5:45:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Saryan:

Thats factory ELD M. Straight from the box.
View Quote

Sorry. Some how i over looked that partI
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 12:06:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Ronnoc:
FYI, Odin Works has an 18" intermediate gas system that is longer than mid and shorter than rifle.  Building mine tomorrow so will see how it goes.  I shoot suppressed, will be using a GA Recce 7, so I opted for an adjustable gas block, what I would do if worried about gas.  I like the one from Odin Works, so hopefully that goes well.
View Quote

Please update.  I'm curious about the quality of the Odin barrel...and if the ILGS is long enough to not be over gassing the system.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 4:30:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Joe731:
Are these any good?
http://www.44mag.com/product/6_5_grendel_25_magazine/6_5_grendel_ar15_magazines

I remember something a while back about "someone" making mags for AA, AA not liking them, then "someone" selling the mags themselves.  But I can't remember who "someone" was.  Their 15 rounder is a straight body, so it kind of makes me think these could be them.
View Quote

I ended up buying two of the 25 rounders.  They work.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 6:07:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Updated pics on the builds we did.

Link Posted: 3/5/2017 6:39:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jd2395] [#21]
Originally Posted By RANGER_556:

Please update.  I'm curious about the quality of the Odin barrel...and if the ILGS is long enough to not be over gassing the system.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I have one of these, running a YHM 30 cal Titanium QD suppressor on it, fixed gas block (part of kit).  With a Spikes ST-T2 buffer, it cycles fine, bolt locks back every time.  Fed it about 250 rounds of 100gr Wolf steel case and 5 of 123gr Hornady AMAX.  Runs like a champ.  I tested 2-3 unsuppressed and those cycled fine too.  Wolf is 2-2.5 MOA with a regular flyer in the bunch and Hornady 123gr was ~1MOA for the 5 rounds I shot of it.  This will probably replace my LaRue Stealth 18" Upper.

ETA:  been using ASC 25 round mags and they seem good to go at least for the limited rounds I have shot
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:07:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Swanson405] [#22]

View Quote

I have a 18" odin works as well. So far it has been great, have a rile tube/buffer set up and seems to be functioning well. 123gr ELDM shoots great, getting about an inch off just a pack and Im expecting it to tighten up when I get my bipod set up. Have not shot it suppressed yet as mines still in jail.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 10:34:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Okay, got all the .308 stuff sold off, so looking for Grendel uppers.  I was thinking two different ones, but I am kind of wanting the Sig P320 Tacops with threaded barrel too, so might do one first.  Kind of want to test the waters first before a pricey upper/build.

It will get used for whitetail and coyotes and on the range a lot, wanting something somewhat precision as I do enjoy that, not great at it though.  I was thinking also of something that can handle Wolf steel case for just shooting cheaply, like the Hardened Arms ones.  Don't really want to shoot steel cased in a match barrel.  The upper will be suppressed, most likely with a Griffen Armament Recce 7 and/or YHM Phantom Ti QD 762.  So, I was thinking of starting with a 16 or 18 inch.

Uppers I had looked at:

Hardened Arms 16" upper

or

Hardened Arm 20" upper

Hardened Arms also said they are coming out with an 18" upper soon, not sure of the barrel type.

Or Radical Arms 20" match
View Quote

I will let you know about the Hardened Arms 20" upper, i plan on ordering one this week.  I already have a precision Firearms 20" HBAR as my expensive rifle, now I need a lower end rifle to give to my daughter so I can use my PF to hunt with this year.  So far she has taken 2 bucks with the PF rifle.  I hope the HA rifle is decent, range report next month???
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 10:48:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By IndyGrendel63:

I will let you know about the Hardened Arms 20" upper, i plan on ordering one this week.  I already have a precision Firearms 20" HBAR as my expensive rifle, now I need a lower end rifle to give to my daughter so I can use my PF to hunt with this year.  So far she has taken 2 bucks with the PF rifle.  I hope the HA rifle is decent, range report next month???
View Quote

I would like to know about the Hardened Arms as well. I looked at them today.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 11:02:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By yotestalker:

I would like to know about the Hardened Arms as well. I looked at them today.
View Quote

I guess I'll be the guinea pig on this one I'll let you know how it turns out.

BTW, nice truck in your avatar... assuming it's a chevy (mr. Bowtie) kinda hard to tell from that awesome artwork. . Just kidding did your kid draw that?
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 11:22:13 PM EDT
[#26]

BTW, nice truck in your avatar... assuming it's a chevy (mr. Bowtie) kinda hard to tell from that awesome artwork. . Just kidding did your kid draw that?
View Quote

No the artwork actually came from a member here.
I was talking about drawing up plans for a shooting bench that fit into a 2" hitch receiver and that is what someone drew up for me.
Let me know about that upper it would be good for a budget build.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 11:47:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Has anyone ever used the Wolf upper seen here LINK
Just wondering how the accuracy is. I know it will not be close to some of the nice rigs seen on this thread, but for something to start off with.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 1:51:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By GlockSpeed31:
Has anyone ever used the Wolf upper seen here LINK
Just wondering how the accuracy is. I know it will not be close to some of the nice rigs seen on this thread, but for something to start off with.
View Quote

In another thread people are talking about 1.5"-2.5"  groups (at best) with that & wolf steel case ammo
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 7:46:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Ranger_556 - I am sourcing parts for an 18" upper based on a JP 1/8 barrel.  It is set up with a rifle length gas system.

Long pole(s) in the project are a VLTOR MUR-1A upper and a Sure-Fire 7.62 WARCOMP.

JP Barrel came with a fitted bolt - matched it with a Young Mfg NM carrier.  I have a Geissele 15" SMR Mk8.

Once I get the last two items I'll be sending it over to Marvin Pitts to dimple and cerakote the barrel & assemble the upper.

Estimated completion is May...
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 10:43:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By black6:
Ranger_556 - I am sourcing parts for an 18" upper based on a JP 1/8 barrel.  It is set up with a rifle length gas system.

Long pole(s) in the project are a VLTOR MUR-1A upper and a Sure-Fire 7.62 WARCOMP.

JP Barrel came with a fitted bolt - matched it with a Young Mfg NM carrier.  I have a Geissele 15" SMR Mk8.

Once I get the last two items I'll be sending it over to Marvin Pitts to dimple and cerakote the barrel & assemble the upper.

Estimated completion is May...
View Quote

Excellent. Sounds like a solid build.  I may be building something very similar.  Decided to go with an ODIN 20" due to the price I'm able to get.

(BTW...your avatar...I remember that from the recruiting brochure when I was 17, keep that page in one of my text books at school....I couldn't wait to become a Ranger!)
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 10:24:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Thanks - you're making me feel old with your comment.  Class 4/91 - proudly sported white thread on my tab.

(BTW...your avatar...I remember that from the recruiting brochure when I was 17, keep that page in one of my text books at school....I couldn't wait to become a Ranger!)
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 9:30:59 PM EDT
[#32]
LRRPF52 - have you had a chance to shoot the Hornady Black 123 gr ELD?

Hornady rep recommended the SST over the ELD for terminal performance.  It looks like they're doing away with the AMAX load.

130gr Hybrids will do better with an 8 twist in 6.5 Grendel.

Main advantage to them over the 123gr target pills is extended supersonic reach.

The drop and drift is really close with a 123gr SMK or Scenar because of the speed difference.

From 18" guns, you can get over 2400fps with CFE and LVR.

20" guns will give you 2450-2500fps.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:49:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LRRPF52] [#33]
I haven't shot the 123gr ELD-M yet.  Most that I've seen so far that have are getting great accuracy, which is the norm for Hornady.

Just got back from the range shooting Federal AE 90gr TNT and 120gr HPBT, both of which performed well.

The 90gr TNT is fast, averaging 2893fps from my Lilja 318 barrel (~18").

Both loads were accurate too.

I got 1.13" to 1.5" of vertical dispersion at 300yds with a rack trigger, rapid firing some of them.

Horizontal spread was 3.06" to 3.6" at 300yds, all 5rd groups.  I was shooting a very lightweight rifle off the bipod with rear bag, scope on 10x.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 2:12:46 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm working on my first 6.5 Grendel build now. The OP was also a driving force in my decision to go this round.

My first will be a RECCE-esque build
16" faxon barrel with 5r rifling
Larue MBT2s trigger
Magpul UBR 2.0 or ACS, still debating that
BCM kmr handguard
Some type of 1-8 scope

I'm looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 10:30:18 PM EDT
[#35]
About to start this journey, on the semi cheap just shooting wolf steel...

Saw a BHW "type 1" with bolt on the EE. Would the consensus be to stick with an AA barrel and bolt? If you ask/pay do they offer a headspaced bolt to a barrel that you buy from them?
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 11:11:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Bakke1:
About to start this journey, on the semi cheap just shooting wolf steel...

Saw a BHW "type 1" with bolt on the EE. Would the consensus be to stick with an AA barrel and bolt? If you ask/pay do they offer a headspaced bolt to a barrel that you buy from them?
View Quote

Most companies provide bolts that work with their barrels.

The Grendel bolt geometry works best for viable extractor lip material.

AA has been making bolts from the start, even providing them to other manufacturers.

I think best bolts are:

AA, PF, JP
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 11:18:51 PM EDT
[#37]

Most companies provide bolts that work with their barrels.

The Grendel bolt geometry works best for viable extractor lip material.

AA has been making bolts from the start, even providing them to other manufacturers.

I think best bolts are:

AA, PF, JP
View Quote

I think an AA bolt and 16 inch fluted barrel will be on its way here soon then. Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:49:26 PM EDT
[#38]

I was talking about drawing up plans for a shooting bench that fit into a 2" hitch receiver and that is what someone drew up for me.
View All Quotes

I knew a guy that had a hitch type mount with a tractor seat that he had his 1919A4 mounted on.  Saw him a few times over the years at a local MG shoot up here in northern Kentucky.

Oh and unfortunately it looks like someone else is going to have to be the guinea pig for the Hardened Arms Grendel upper.  I had an unscheduled automotive repair come up right before i was going to place my order.  Soooo maybe later this year if I am lucky.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 6:02:15 PM EDT
[#39]
My wallet hates you all...

This thread and LRRPF52's other threads/posts finally wore me down, had to get in on this. Rainier Arms was out of the 18" CA barrels but im pretty stoked about putting this together over the next few months while I do some research into reloading these.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:04:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By sovaprepper:

Some type of 1-8 scope

View Quote
If money isn't an issue check out the Swarvoski Z8i.....1-8x24....clearest piece of glass I've ever looked through...and a TRUE 1x.

about $2400
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 10:25:55 PM EDT
[#41]
LRRPF52 are you shooting these beyond supersonic range, or do they just carry 1200 yards before going subsonic where you're at?

I just built a 20" with a BHW barrel. I measured 123gr amax at 2461fps. Ballistic app is putting me at supersonic to about 1030 yards. I'm close to sea level. Normally this would be fine for me. I only ask because I may be shooting at 1200 yards in the next couple of months.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 11:55:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By mbtech:
LRRPF52 are you shooting these beyond supersonic range, or do they just carry 1200 yards before going subsonic where you're at?

I just built a 20" with a BHW barrel. I measured 123gr amax at 2461fps. Ballistic app is putting me at supersonic to about 1030 yards. I'm close to sea level. Normally this would be fine for me. I only ask because I may be shooting at 1200 yards in the next couple of months.
View Quote
I'm at higher altitude, but I also have a 1/7.5" twist on my 16" AA barrel, and the 18" fluted light barrels from AA.

My Lija 318 barrel is 1/8" twist.

What really surprised me when I first tried it on a dare was how predictable my POI was at 1200yds with the 16" shooting factory 123gr AMAX.

I didn't make any sense to me at the time, and surprised all the guys I did it in front of, who had been hitting at the base of the hill all day with much larger cartridges.

They weren't using any proven long-range techniques, which is a waste of ammo when you're just trying to lob rounds out there and guesstimate with hunting reticles and dust kicking up, but it still was impressive for a little 16" AR to get 1st round right off the left edge of what they were trying to hit, then 4 rounds after it impact repeatedly like it was cool or something.

I had short-changed the Grendel for a 700yd effective range from the 16" at that point, and might not have ever shot it much past that if I wasn't challenged.

It made me re-look at everything.

My program is showing supersonic to just over 1050yds that day, at 80° F and ~4400ft elevation with 25.4" Hg bark pressure.  The heat and elevation was definitely helping me, combined with the 1/7.5" twist and a bullet with a decent BC.

With a tight twist, you stay stable through supersonic transition, and I have seen this in other rifles on both ends, mainly .308s with 1/12 twist coming apart at 800yds even at high altitude, and shorter barrels with tight twists staying spin and predictable into ELR.

For longer barrels down at sea level, I would use a really high BC bullet like the 130gr Berger Hybrid OTM.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 1:06:55 AM EDT
[#43]

I'm at higher altitude, but I also have a 1/7.5" twist on my 16" AA barrel, and the 18" fluted light barrels from AA.

My Lija 318 barrel is 1/8" twist.

What really surprised me when I first tried it on a dare was how predictable my POI was at 1200yds with the 16" shooting factory 123gr AMAX.

I didn't make any sense to me at the time, and surprised all the guys I did it in front of, who had been hitting at the base of the hill all day with much larger cartridges.

They weren't using any proven long-range techniques, which is a waste of ammo when you're just trying to lob rounds out there and guesstimate with hunting reticles and dust kicking up, but it still was impressive for a little 16" AR to get 1st round right off the left edge of what they were trying to hit, then 4 rounds after it impact repeatedly like it was cool or something.

I had short-changed the Grendel for a 700yd effective range from the 16" at that point, and might not have ever shot it much past that if I wasn't challenged.

It made me re-look at everything.

My program is showing supersonic to just over 1050yds that day, at 80° F and ~4400ft elevation with 25.4" Hg bark pressure.  The heat and elevation was definitely helping me, combined with the 1/7.5" twist and a bullet with a decent BC.

With a tight twist, you stay stable through supersonic transition, and I have seen this in other rifles on both ends, mainly .308s with 1/12 twist coming apart at 800yds even at high altitude, and shorter barrels with tight twists staying spin and predictable into ELR.

For longer barrels down at sea level, I would use a really high BC bullet like the 130gr Berger Hybrid OTM.
View Quote
What was your drop at 1200? Last time i took the creedmoor out to 1300 I ran out of elevation for the grendel when I tried it at the same distance. I want to say it had like 360 inches of drop and 2.6 flight time off the top of my head but I'm old and chasing the dragon. I finally buckled to 20 moa super precision, might have to try it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 8:32:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Finslayer83] [#44]
Alright gents, help me figure out my rut.

I've got my 6.5cm rpr that covers 500-1.25k - so that envelope is covered.

I've got a 16" AA 6.5G currently sitting on a stamped lower (all my lowers are stamped - got drunk at a wedding and efiled all my lowers ).

Also have a 6-24pst FFP without a home and just bought a Mack brothers mb762s to use with rpr and Grendel.

Do I - wait for the BA 12.5 to come out and re barrel and put the 6-24 on it.

Or

Do I - send AA barrel to adco and have them chop to 14.5/15" and re thread at 5/8x24 to work with future QD mount. And use 6-24 pst.

Or

Sell 6-24 and buy 2.5-10x32 in conjunction with the above.

End game is plate/swinger domination from bench/prone from 200 -600y which I can suppress, but won't always shoot suppressed.

Ammo will mostly be wolf steel with occasional brass loads.

Sending barrel to adco and going with 2.5-10x32.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 11:49:52 PM EDT
[#45]
That day, my calculator told me I needed 14.4 Mils of elevation.  80° F, 4400ft elevation, 25.4 barometric pressure IIRC.

I either bottomed out, or needed to hold.

I just remember the first shot impacting just below the left edge of the target, visibly kicking up dust that everyone on optics could see, with a lot of hollering that I had hit it ( I didn't with the first.)

I saw that as my new aiming point, and let another 4 go on target as fast as I could squeeze in between the conditions.

This is the area I was in, taken from another trip before that I think.  The 1200yd distance is off to the left in the foothills.

This target is only 400yds away, where I was letting my nephews burn some steel as first-time shooters at distance.

Link Posted: 4/3/2017 3:08:40 AM EDT
[#46]
That day, my calculator told me I needed 14.4 Mils of elevation.  80° F, 4400ft elevation, 25.4 barometric pressure IIRC.

I either bottomed out, or needed to hold.

I just remember the first shot impacting just below the left edge of the target, visibly kicking up dust that everyone on optics could see, with a lot of hollering that I had hit it ( I didn't with the first.)

I saw that as my new aiming point, and let another 4 go on target as fast as I could squeeze in between the conditions.

This is the area I was in, taken from another trip before that I think.  The 1200yd distance is off to the left in the foothills.

This target is only 400yds away, where I was letting my nephews burn some steel as first-time shooters at distance.

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j422/LRRPF52/2012-10-20154212.jpg
View Quote
I'm assuming you had no wind.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 3:36:56 PM EDT
[#47]
I had 2 opposing wind directions that cancelled each other out, as I was shooting over a draw at an angle from NW to SE, from the East side of other foothills, to the South side of the ridgeline where the target was.

I held left wind a little, maybe 1 Mil, for my first shot, and was just off the left edge, so it was easy to correct for my follow-up shots.

Everyone was surprised that I got that close with the 1st shot, many thinking I had hit it, since the closest they had been was at the base of the hill and maybe midway up it.

One of the things I like about semi auto with low recoil is how quickly you can exploit the conditions while staying in the scope picture.

Much of the time, with a bolt gun, the conditions of your last shot are gone once you cycle the bolt and get back on target.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 9:47:13 PM EDT
[#48]
I had 2 opposing wind directions that cancelled each other out, as I was shooting over a draw at an angle from NW to SE, from the East side of other foothills, to the South side of the ridgeline where the target was.

Those nefarious NW to SE eat the rookies alive.

I held left wind a little, maybe 1 Mil, for my first shot, and was just off the left edge, so it was easy to correct for my follow-up shots.

Everyone was surprised that I got that close with the 1st shot, many thinking I had hit it, since the closest they had been was at the base of the hill and maybe midway up it.

I find it sad that your friends have such little faith in your abilities.

One of the things I like about semi auto with low recoil is how quickly you can exploit the conditions while staying in the scope picture.

Much of the time, with a bolt gun, the conditions of your last shot are gone once you cycle the bolt and get back on target.
If you get a nice high end bolt gun lets say something with a short throw and glass action like a RPR you should have no problem staying on target and keeping the same conditions while working the bolt
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 11:00:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By RePp:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RePp:

Those nefarious NW to SE eat the rookies alive.

I find it sad that your friends have such little faith in your abilities.

If you get a nice high end bolt gun lets say something with a short throw and glass action like a RPR you should have no problem staying on target and keeping the same conditions while working the bolt
These guys didn't know me from Adam.  They were retired IRS, FBI, and other Feds with some guy that claimed to be a sniper instructor who used to work for the USMC training them in long range.

One of them drove up to me and my BIL and nephew and informed us that they were doing long range, and would be shooting Glocks slightly over our left at 800ds, not to worry.

We immediately packed up and got out of there, given the obvious.

My curiosity was peaked, so I had to stop by and see what kind of shenanigans this folks were up to.  They had been trying to hit the 1200yd for a while, with no success, when they asked if I wanted to try it.

I was surprised myself, because I had never shot my 16" Grendel past 700yds that I can recall up to that point.

I'm very familiar with bolt guns, including high-end ones for PRS ranging from AX chassis to JAE, KRG, McMillan, with custom actions, Barts and Kriegers, topped with NF, Razor HDs, S&Bs, and have been shooting bolt guns like this dating back to the 2000s.

Nothing is as fast as a gas gun, but you can rapid-manipulate and get your follow-up shot quickly with some training, I agree.  You still go through an attentional focus distraction from the conditions to an extent.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 6:37:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Top rifle - ring details please
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top