Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2023 9:25:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SSgt82-02]
I have a 18” AR in 6.5G and recently picked up a Ruger American Ranch in 6.5G.

I’ve been handloading for the AR and was wondering for those who load for gas and bolt guns in 6.5G if you use different data for each.

The Hornady 11th edition has separate data for 6ARC gas gun (52,000psi) and bolt guns (62,000psi) which got me thinking ??.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 9:30:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Can't speak on 6.5G, but my .243win, 308win and 6.5CM are using same reloads for bolt action and AR. I haven't had any issues at this point.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 4:19:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#2]
The AR15 bolt gets a little thin for the increased thrust over 5.56, so the reduced pressure is just to prolong the bolt life.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 5:35:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SSgt82-02] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
The AR15 bolt gets a little thin for the increased thrust over 5.56, so the reduced pressure is just to prolong the bolt life.
View Quote

I know that, I’m just wondering why aren’t there any bolt gun listed 6.5G load data.  I don’t wanna “blow my face off” as said on YouTube Johnnys Reloading Bench being a guinea pig.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 5:48:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#4]
I don't know the full answer, but there are some 6.5 Grendel specific load manuals that might say.  I will say that basically yes, you can run an appropriately strong 6.5 Grendel bolt action much higher than the anemic 52k psi AR15 SAAMI spec; and many people do.  

I will say, here in 2023, you can also run most AR15's considerably higher than the 52K psi AR15 SAAMI spec as well, as metallurgy has been getting better and broken bolts in AR15 Grendels have become much more rare than they were initially.  So something changed, because reloaders are running that round strong, and I'm pretty sure several of my loads are well above 52k; as are a lot of people from what I'm seeing in the forum.  That said, obviously YMMV, and this isn't advise for anyone to exceed the official safety standards.  Also, beware Quickload et al are absolutely terrible in 6.5 Grendel - don't believe anything they say.

Also, and this is fighting words, beware that not all 6.5 Grendel brass is the same.  While many people love Lapua - I don't. Lapua runs the thinnest web out there, and if your chamber isn't fully supported very well....  The last 3 Kabooms in the Grendel Forum, were all with Lapua brass reloads.   Passions get high there when I bring that up, and I half expect to eventually just get banned.  But me, when I pick up Grendel brass on the ground, and some of it is Lapua, I throw those casings over in the 7.62x39 conversion pile of field-fire&forget.  My opinion of Starline is only marginally better.   Lapua and Starline are the first casings to start to form shelf-deformation on the case bodies near the head, when others do not. Johnny's Reloading observied and documents this as well.   Frankly, my favorite Grendel brass is actually Hornady.  Not saying they have Lapua QC. Am saying I like their internal dimensions better.   I'm also about the only Grendel shooter who actually feels that way, so take that for what you paid for it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 8:35:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got an AR in 762x39 and a bolt gun in the same....  same loads on each, though I won't bother with my mousefarts in the AR (85gr .312" Hornady XTP pushed to just over 1000fps by 4.0gr Titegroup) and even then only because they are a biatch to feed thru the bolt gun as it is (and I'll probably not make any more, gonna try some 100 or 110 gr pointy bullets next)
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 9:07:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
I don't know the full answer, but there are some 6.5 Grendel specific load manuals that might say.  I will say that basically yes, you can run an appropriately strong 6.5 Grendel bolt action much higher than the anemic 52k psi AR15 SAAMI spec; and many people do.  

I will say, here in 2023, you can also run most AR15's considerably higher than the 52K psi AR15 SAAMI spec as well, as metallurgy has been getting better and broken bolts in AR15 Grendels have become much more rare than they were initially.  So something changed, because reloaders are running that round strong, and I'm pretty sure several of my loads are well above 52k; as are a lot of people from what I'm seeing in the forum.  That said, obviously YMMV, and this isn't advise for anyone to exceed the official safety standards.  Also, beware Quickload et al are absolutely terrible in 6.5 Grendel - don't believe anything they say.

Also, and this is fighting words, beware that not all 6.5 Grendel brass is the same.  While many people love Lapua - I don't. Lapua runs the thinnest web out there, and if your chamber isn't fully supported very well....  The last 3 Kabooms in the Grendel Forum, were all with Lapua brass reloads.   Passions get high there when I bring that up, and I half expect to eventually just get banned.  But me, when I pick up Grendel brass on the ground, and some of it is Lapua, I throw those casings over in the 7.62x39 conversion pile of field-fire&forget.  My opinion of Starline is only marginally better.   Lapua and Starline are the first casings to start to form shelf-deformation on the case bodies near the head, when others do not. Johnny's Reloading observied and documents this as well.   Frankly, my favorite Grendel brass is actually Hornady.  Not saying they have Lapua QC. Am saying I like their internal dimensions better.   I'm also about the only Grendel shooter who actually feels that way, so take that for what you paid for it.
View Quote

I’m with you that brass wears out especially if it’s thin to start with. I’ve also broken bolts and extractors on my Grendels. Having bolt gun loads seems very reasonable to me, OP. I was a very early adopter. There was very little data at that time.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 9:29:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

View Quote

I agree about Starline 6.5G brass, I’ve been pushing it on the upper end of the Hornady and Sierra manuals in my AR and the brass has not held up well.  I’ve got some bulk Hornady ammo I’m turning into brass slowly and it’ll get its turn soon in the bolt gun.
Pray I don’t blow my face off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top