Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2023 7:51:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ThatGuyTheCooler]
I am building a vertical display for European style deer mounts. This is simply a 24" diameter circular base with a vertical pole in which European style skull mounts will hang off the pole. The goal was to display as many mounts as possible, clearing up some wall space. I want to add some dried corn stalks to cover up the wood base. I have the corn stalks. How do I attach them? Someone told me epoxy mixed with dirt but I'm not sure how that would stick at all. I would need an inch thick pool for the corn stalks to be mounted in. Epoxy is expensive, so I figured I would ask here before trying and wasting product.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 9:32:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FredMan] [#1]
Maybe some modeling clay?  Build up a base of clay. Insert stalks.

You could also do something like set some stout wires or nails pointing up, drill some corresponding holes vertically through the bottom of the stalks, coat wires/nails with glue, slide on stalks.

The attachment doesn’t need to be particularly strong, but it does need to be secure.

You might also want to figure out some way to provide support for the upper ends of the stalks as well. Even something as simple as wiring together with fine wire, or some kind of support structure that makes sense (hell, wire one stalk diagonally between two verticals, or have a “broken” stalk act as a bridge for support).
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 8:44:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I ended up using expanding foam. Project was cheap and is completely adjustable

Link Posted: 1/27/2024 6:26:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks awesome from here. Great job.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top