Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2024 11:29:35 AM EDT
I have a few pounds of dried beans, rice, and canned foods stashed away just in case.  Thinking I should fortify my provisions with some freeze dried foods for 6 months or so for my family of 4. There are LOTs of companies out there that sell these products.  Can anyone recommend a company or "package" of products I should look into?
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 11:36:31 AM EDT
[#1]
My main go tos are Mountain House and Augason Farms.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 11:40:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I have bought a lot from Honeyville.  They sell more than just freeze dried, lots of baking ingredients.  The freeze dry food is primarily single ingredient, not pre mixed meals.  Everything I have tried was good with low shipping cost.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 2:18:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Hit the LDS store
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:35:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MyrnaTheMinx] [#4]
I've used Honeyville and Be Prepared (Emergency Essentials).  Honeyville does not seem to be as well stocked as it used to be but that could be a temporary thing.  I just got in an order from Emergency Essentials.  I am very happy with the packing.  The single cans are wrapped with bubble wrap so  no dents and even the full cases get extra packing on the bottom and a layer of thick bubble wrap on the top.  No dented cans. I also got a single case (6 cans) from My Patriot Supply and it is a very sturdy box.

If you have not investigated Be Prepared/Emergency Essentials, I suggest you give them a look see.  Look for sale prices.

Also will second the LDS store, but it is very basic.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 7:47:38 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks for the great suggestions
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 11:25:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a layered approach.

MREs - U.S. Military, U.S. Commercial, Canadian, French, Dutch, Norwegian.
Packit Gourment - 2 year shelf life, get rotated annually, expensive but damn good.
Backpackers Pantry and Alpine Air - A small assortment of freeze dried meals that we liked. Not fond of most of their meals.
Peak Refuel - officially a 5 year shelf life, get rotated often due to camping and backpacking trips.
Mountain House - 30 year shelf life, both pouches and #10 cans, I have a 300+ pouches and accumulate faster than I use.
LDS - 20 to 30 year shelf life, #10 cans of wheat berries, flour, onions, potato flakes, carrots, apples as ingredients for cooking meals.
Augason Farms - 10 year shelf life, potatoes, scone mix, pancake mix, black bean burger, powdered milk, eggs, banana chips, powered honey, butter powder, freeze dried fruits.
NutriStore - 25 year shelf life, freeze dried meat, vegetables, and cheese.
Self packaged in mylar with O2 absorbers - 20 to 30 year storage life, TVP, rice, flour, oats, pasta, beans, spices, lentils, wild rice, chia seeds, hard candy, instant coffee, cocoa powder.
Packaged w/o O2 absorbers - sugar, salt, baking soda.
A couple of 1.75 liter bottles of homemade vanilla.

Harmony Foods and Lost Lakes dried vegetables (soup mix).
OvaEasy Egg Crystals
Bega Canned Cheese
Red Feather Canned Butter

Some assorted Ready Wise but this is for handing out to others or just never eat.

About a year's worth of what we eat in canned goods and a two to three year supply of common household consumables and non-prescription meds.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 12:43:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By jharpphoto:
I have a few pounds of dried beans, rice, and canned foods stashed away just in case.  
View Quote

Don't forget to rotate through those canned goods as well as anything like Knorr mixes, seasoned rice, stuffing mix, biscuit mixes, etc.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 6:54:10 AM EDT
[#8]
My advice is to get a few meals to sample. Most are pretty high in sodium, so if that's a concern, there are some companies that have lower-sodium options. The one or two entre backpacking options are expensive compared to buying in a bulk #10 can, but recommend you try before buying a big can.

Soups are the universal survival meal. I really like Harmony House Backpacking Soup and Chili Kit, as it gives you a lot of flexibility to add various meets, thicken up with flour, etc.

I tried this My Patriot Supply 4-week as a sampler. They were pretty good.

ROCK6

Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:07:10 PM EDT
[#9]
If you are Keto or can't do all of the carbs:

Next Mile Meals

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:28:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Over the years, I have stacked up on LDS and Emergency Essentials. MH is great for camping, but I don't think I would want to subsist on it for a prolonged period.

The best bang for your buck is packing dry goods yourself. I have at least a ton in 5 gal buckets in mylar with o2 absorbers. Pasta, rice, wheat berries, lentils, split pea, beans, oats, etc. I haven't done a batch in a year or so, but I was able to pack for about $1 per pound. I get buckets for free from the Publix bakery department.

I rely on #10's for fruit, vegetable and soup/stew bases.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:22:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 2:41:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By migradog:
Mountain House is having a half price sale on some of their #10 cans

https://mountainhouse.com/collections/sale?sort_by=price-ascending&limit=48
View Quote

Have an order arriving today! Put another order in a couple days ago. Probably make another order Friday when I get paid, if the sale is still going.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:20:32 AM EDT
[#13]
What do you guys prefer for eggs? Freeze dried like MH or powdered eggs?
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 2:40:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By SIG_gunner:
View Quote

Freeze dried or OvaEasy Egg Crystals.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 7:17:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By SIG_gunner:
View Quote

I have both. I have used the Ova Easy eggs a couple of times just to get used to cooking with them. They make good scrambled eggs and they integrate well into baking items. I recommend you get a bag to try (with all of this stuff) and then use it to make sure it is something you might want to stock in bulk.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 7:40:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By migradog:
Mountain House is having a half price sale on some of their #10 cans

https://mountainhouse.com/collections/sale?sort_by=price-ascending&limit=48
View Quote

Great deal on those!
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 8:49:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a combination of the following:

My Patriot Supply dried goods that come in the pouches.  Mostly a stash of the 72-hour kits from when you could get them for like $10 each.

Mountain House, #10 cans and the camping pouches.

Augason Farms #10 cans.

Humanitarian ration meals.

A couple cases of MRE left back from pre COVID when they were affordable.

I don't have any large amount of one specific item and try to diversify.  I also don't buy anything unless I have the intentions of actually using it during normal times at some point before it expires so I choose things I like and will use be it camping, home cooking etc.  I think it's incredibly stupid to waste money on something without the intent of using it during normal times prior to it expiring or going bad.  With that said I prep for the most realistic events first, least likely last.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top