Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2023 9:18:46 PM EDT
Was zeroed for 75 grain TAP (of the Frontier variety) but re-zeroed for the couple of boxes of 62 grain TSX (5.56 pressure) I bought at the peak of Covid. We’ve got roughly 4 weeks before firearm season opens here. Typical shot will be around 50 yards, but a 125-150 yard shot is possible at some of the property I sometimes get invited to hunt. I’ve shot the 75 grain TAP at pigs before, but I didn’t know how the minimum fragmentation velocity would fair from a 10.3” barrel. I know the TSX is supposed to expand down to 1,800 FPS.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 9:48:03 PM EDT
[#1]
77 grain TMK seems to be the answer

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/223-for-bear-deer-elk-and-moose.130488/
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 11:00:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Why would an ethical hunter pick the weakest rounds to bring down game animals?
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 11:18:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mike_Golf:
View Quote

There are plenty of other threads where 5.56 (of various barrel lengths to include SBR’s) has been used with  extreme success on whitetail. I’ve taken quite a few with the 64 grain Winchester Power Point and some of the 55 grain soft point offerings. But those were all 16”-20” barrels.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 11:36:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GlockPride] [#4]
The FFBI uses 64gr Federal out of their shorty .223 AR’s.  Might look into that, but I think the TSX would be ok too.  I don’t remember where I saw this, but it was a few months back.  

ETA: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1001660015/?pid=520900
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 12:19:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eclark53520] [#5]
View Quote

223 kills deer just fine.  They don't wear plates.  You don't need magnums to kill deer.

My kids have shot 4 deer now with 223 and all have gone down quickly.  All but 1 bullet has completely exited.  The one that didn't was just under the skin on the off side after hitting the on side shoulder bone and destroying both lungs and heart.

OP - I have the kids use the Federal Fusion 62gr bonded.  They work great.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:15:26 AM EDT
[#6]
My 2 thoughts.

The Barnes is 5.56 pressure. Velocity is a plus in an SBR with possible 100+ yard shots.

The Barnes is designed for expansion, not fragmentation. Another plus.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 6:54:53 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

Is a bow ethical?
Attachment Attached File

This one went the same distance with a 77gr TMK from a 10.5" barrel.
Attachment Attached File

Both "didn't go 20."

Both ended very quickly. Define ethical for us, please
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 7:04:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: garyd] [#8]
View Quote

Don't make the mistake thinking only your way of hunting is ethical.  You don't get a monopoly on that regardless of what you think.
They are not bullet proof.  One does not need a 300 wiz bang magnum travelling Mach 4, turning 1/4 of the target into a fine red mist, dislocating ones shoulder, being heard 3 counties over to shoot your average whitetail at 50 yds.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 7:38:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By garyd:

Don't make the mistake thinking only your way of hunting is ethical.  You don't get a monopoly on that regardless of what you think.
They are not bullet proof.  One does not need a 300 wiz bang magnum travelling Mach 4, turning 1/4 of the target into a fine red mist, dislocating ones shoulder, being heard 3 counties over to shoot your average whitetail at 50 yds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By garyd:

Now if a griz is hunting that whitetail, maybe. But even then, that removes some of the thrill.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 9:52:45 PM EDT
[#10]
A buddy of mine just shot a bear today with a .243. Should I tell him it was unethical?!
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 3:07:37 PM EDT
[#11]
My son killed his first deer last year with a 10.5” AR using 62gr Barnes TTSX at around 50-60yds.  She went about ten yards and crashed
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 4:53:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By 11B3XCIB:
My son killed his first deer last year with a 10.5” AR using 62gr Barnes TTSX at around 50-60yds.  She went about ten yards and crashed
View Quote

Did he take a double lung shot? Now that I’ve just about settled on the 62 grain TSX, I hear different opinions on a double lung vs. high shoulder/neck.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 8:29:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By canthony123:

Did he take a double lung shot? Now that I’ve just about settled on the 62 grain TSX, I hear different opinions on a double lung vs. high shoulder/neck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I'm interested in hearing too. Here is my experience on those two shot selections from someone who has killed deer with 5.56 pistols, arrows, slugs, and muzzleloaders.

-double lung is a huge margin of error and will result in a dead deer, period. They will almost always run a ways but it won't be far. Blood trail is dependent on the size of the holes you put in them.
-high shoulder/neck: much smaller margin for error, may drop them or anchor them right on the spot or may result in a runner if not precise. If it does not drop immediately it might be a rough tracking job. There are spots you can hit a deer and drop them right now and spots you can hit them and have them take off like a freight train that are only a few inches apart.

I've done both, had success with both, but will only recommend a double lung. It's the closest thing to foolproof, is friendly to meat, and will result in a quick and clean harvest if placed +/-4 inches off ideal POA with zero fuss and a short track, likely within eyesight. As I said previously, last year two deer went down almost immediately with two different weapons, both considered "low powered." Deer are not hard to kill if you put a hole in a good spot and that's all there is to it. To be honest I find coyotes much harder to kill due to wariness, speed and a small vital zone, plus they'll run for broke with their entire guts laid out. "Tough" deer do happen but it is almost always due to shot placement.

Just my.02, worth exactly what you've paid for it.

Link Posted: 10/3/2023 12:44:37 AM EDT
[#14]
60gr NBT worked for me from a stubby barrel
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 8:13:00 AM EDT
[#15]
62 gr speer gold dot and federal fusion work just fine on NC deer.
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 4:19:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11B3XCIB] [#16]

View Quote

Yep he popped both lungs.  In the video (and in person)  I thought he shot under her, but it was the dust cloud from the round coming out the other side and hitting the ground.  She jumped straight up, bounded once or twice and crashed into the vegetation right off the cut she was in when shot.

He took the closer of the two:

Shot juuuust going off.  I hunted with a .30-30 lever gun as a kid and mine is using a suppressed KAC SBR with an ACOG.  

Good blood not that we needed it

Walking around some briars to get to the doe

Thanking the deer for her sacrifice so that we may sustain ourselves
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 9:03:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Yep he popped both lungs.  In the video (and in person)  I thought he shot under her, but it was the dust cloud from the round coming out the other side and hitting the ground.  She jumped straight up, bounded once or twice and crashed into the vegetation right off the cut she was in when shot.

https://i.imgur.com/1fJFDc4.jpg

Shot juuuust going off.  I hunted with a .30-30 lever gun as a kid and mine is using a suppressed KAC SBR with an ACOG.  
https://i.imgur.com/Wkg5FRd.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/p0Y7kt1.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/atfkSAV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jFBNpq3.jpg
View Quote

Love it. You're doing it right with that boy.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 1:18:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: canthony123] [#18]

https://i.imgur.com/1fJFDc4.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Wkg5FRd.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/p0Y7kt1.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/atfkSAV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jFBNpq3.jpg
View Quote

This is exactly the info I was looking for
double lung it is! You’re raising him the same way I’m going to try to raise my son. Mine just turned 2, so he’s got a couple more years though lol.
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 10:38:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Mine is 8 and wants to go this year.  Was going to give him the 16" Larue, but good to know the 11.5 will work if he needs to.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 12:49:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11B3XCIB] [#20]
Originally Posted By NotIssued:
Mine is 8 and wants to go this year.  Was going to give him the 16" Larue, but good to know the 11.5 will work if he needs to.
View Quote

I definitely made sure it was 100yds and in just to ensure enough velocity downrange for bullet function and energy dump into the target.  I didn’t want my sons first attempt on a deer to end in tragedy like a wounded animal we couldn’t recover or something like that.

I shot this little Buck myself in 2019 (I think that was the year).  Normally try to let these walk but I only had a couple chances to get some meat and was about to get nothing for the year and he decided to play ball.   I was definitely using a 62gr TTSX bullet over RE15, same load I currently use, and had my AR with a 16” shilen barrel 1:8 twist.  It handles the longer copper bullets just fine.  Even though it’s a lighter weight, the copper bullets are typically longer than say a 62gr FMJ….it’s got roughly the same base to ogive length as a 69gr SMK but the same OAL as a 77gr SMK.  Anyways, he was around 80yds away, bullet was in and out.  He went from the right side of the power line cut to just inside the brush on the left side, so less than ten yards I guess.  He was angling away, so the bullet came out just behind his right shoulder.  If it was perfect broadside I’d consider this a little far back but due to his angle, I was fine with it and it worked pretty well

Link Posted: 10/9/2023 12:54:14 PM EDT
[#21]
I really like and have great success with soft points. Federal Fusion has worked well for me.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 11:14:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11B3XCIB] [#22]
Another one down to 62gr TTSX.  13.9” 5.56

60-70yds away, quartering towards.

Found good blood:

And a few minutes later:

Complete pass through, thought it had stuck in the ribs but it exited
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 11:38:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Thank you for the information and the awesome photos, 11B3XCIB.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top