Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2023 11:40:14 AM EDT
Planning on some deer hunting Oct/Nov in midwest states like MI and surrounding from a new to me RV. What is likelihood of having campsite/gear stolen or messed with? Would you lock everything up tight when leaving campsite? Would you avoid leaving something "sorta" valuable (like a Starlink router, or portable grill) and plan instead to pack it into vehicle when leaving?

I have a rough idea that it's maybe a 5% chance of getting victimized if leaving gear and having it messed with. Is this accurate?
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 11:43:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I would typically leave nothing of real value out. That said, folding chairs, portable gas grill on table, firepit I typically do leave out if spending time away during the day. Generator is always heavy-chained to trailer frame.

I'm constantly waking up during night hearing noises and assuming someone is breaking in to our trailer storage bins or tow vehicle - but that is just me...
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 12:06:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I've camped quite a bit with a 5th wheel over the past 4 years at RV campgrounds and state parks. Best rule of thumb is to not leave anything valuable out - out of sight out of mind. The externally accessible storage compartments on campers use generic keys - 1 key to open them all supposedly so don't leave your DSLR or AR in there... Otherwise I've had no issues. It seems that there's usually someone out and people keep an eye out for each other for the most part. I better go knock on wood now.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 12:29:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been fortunate, but I often hear of things being posted about problems with things being stolen.

The rule of thumb is to not leave anything out that you are not willing to have walk away. chairs, grills, etc.

I do chain my surge protection to the pedestal, but mostly because I don’t want to come back to the power being off if I’ve left my pup inside. SC gets hot enough to get hot temps inside in a short time.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 12:32:19 PM EDT
[#4]
We have camped a lot with a travel trailer and never had anything at all stolen - but we always keep all storage doors closed and locked, curtains drawn.

Link Posted: 8/2/2023 1:06:07 PM EDT
[#5]
We camp a lot.

BLM, National Forest dispersed camping. Some State parks. Never had a problem or anything that smelled like it might be a problem.

I leave low(er) value items out when I leave as more of a head fake than anything.

I'll say this though, despite the stigma KOA offer high value for what they cost (washers and driers, showers, dump stations,water and electric)  and are very safe in my experience. If we have been dispersed camping for several days/weeks we'll use KOA as a break.Memberships are very inexpensive and get you a discount, also a National Park pass is we'll worth the money if you are going to be out much.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 1:27:33 PM EDT
[#6]
We always cabled up our ATVs at night, when camping in the desert.  Theft is a thing there.  (Glamis, Imperial Dunes, Ocotillo Wells SRVA)

Make them move on to someone else's stuff.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 1:33:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks all of you for the responses.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 7:04:34 PM EDT
[#8]
You can buy locks for the storage compartments that are keyed different than the factory. I don't know how many options there are, but I replaced mine. It's not going to keep someone from breaking in the compartment, it will just make them tear it up instead of using a key.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 7:06:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Sitting in Ives Run in northern PA. Went on a day trip without any worry. Only have stayed in one "campground" that was sketchy and that turned out to be in town in Edmond, OK. The more rural it seems, the safer.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 7:42:54 PM EDT
[#10]
We were camping last month in Olympic NP and some piece of crap stole a box of firewood stored under the front of our 5th wheel. First time I have ever had anything stolen from my campsite.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 4:29:13 PM EDT
[#11]
The ex and I did have two bicycles stolen at Roaring River state park back in the late nineties one time. We are 99% sure they were taken by a couple of guys in their early twenties who caused a little trouble and were kicked out the park the next day. They rode them down to the end of the river and threw them in the water, they were just a couple of idiots. The park ranger knew one of their dads, and I'm pretty sure they were in more trouble than the law could have ever given them, LOL. That is the only trouble I've ever had, but then I try to not make things too tempting. Always make your neighbors be an easier target.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 9:25:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lizARdman15:
I have been fortunate, but I often hear of things being posted about problems with things being stolen.

The rule of thumb is to not leave anything out that you are not willing to have walk away. chairs, grills, etc.

I do chain my surge protection to the pedestal, but mostly because I don’t want to come back to the power being off if I’ve left my pup inside. SC gets hot enough to get hot temps inside in a short time.
View Quote

@lizARdman15 check out the Waggle monitor. We have one for when we leave the dogs in the camper. They often run sales too or we are selling our 5th wheel and no longer need our Waggle if it's transferable.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 9:31:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Having some personal experience with some thieves in northern MI , don't leave anything out of great value or anything you aren't willing to lose. If you are in a remote location , secure everything as there are groups of people that will cruise through areas looking for easy targets.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:00:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I've hunted and camped for years and never had an issue leaving anything set up like an outdoor kitchen, awnings, coolers, etc out. Granted I hunt and camp where I can and do hike out to hunt each morning. I may see a half dozen other people typically.

I've also hunted the border where there are people wandering by all hours.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top