Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/29/2023 10:10:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bruh44]
I have hand warmers. But when the batteries run out it’s nice to have warm gloves. I haven’t found any gloves that really work. I was considering old army mittens with the trigger finger.
I have gear to keep the rest of me very warm. Just need some warm gloves or mittens.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 10:41:20 AM EDT
[#1]
You may give the "chemical warmers" a look as a backup.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 10:42:19 AM EDT
[#2]
It's NC. Unless you're way out west up in the mountains it's not that cold here. Just get some gloves and keep your hands in your pockets...and maybe pick up some of those chemical hand warmer pouches that don't rely on batteries.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 12:06:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#3]
I have fingerless gloves with mitten tops that snap back.

They’re perfect for what I do. In colder climates they may suck, though.

Mittens are warmer than gloves, but you get sleestak hands.

If I had to function in super cold weather I’d probably have fingerless gloves under overmittens that attached to my sleeves.  It’s slow, but warm.

What I have is similar to this-

What’s nice is that I can just stick my trigger finger out of the mitten part.

ETA: I don’t use gloves that much when hunting- mainly for driving the boat long distances when it’s cold.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 12:21:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 12:44:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bruh44] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By spectre3:
It's NC. Unless you're way out west up in the mountains it's not that cold here. Just get some gloves and keep your hands in your pockets...and maybe pick up some of those chemical hand warmer pouches that don't rely on batteries.
View Quote

I am in western North Carolina. I live at 3500 feet. It was 16 degrees this morning. But I also hunt in Ohio and Michigan.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 1:09:32 PM EDT
[#6]
The trick is a thin silk or synthetic glove inside your regular glove. Check out glove liners on the interwebs. That’s a trick my dad taught me 45 years ago before there were good hand warmers and thinsulate.
I say this as someone who needs to get some new ones. Mine are shot and I haven’t had to look for new ones in a long time.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 1:19:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Hand warmer muff and thin fingerless gloves.  Toss a few of the chemical hand warmers inside. It’s like shoving my hands in fire.  

MI hunter. Way colder up here.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 2:43:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Get a pair of leather chopper mittens and the buy the wool inserts.
Your hands will never be cold again!
You'll obviously have to take it off to make a shot but they'll keep you warm.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 6:50:11 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been hunting for 50 years.  Grew up in pa. Hunted from there to Colorado to Texas, etc.

I have never worn gloves, can't stand them.

I use one of those insulated hand pouch things with a bunch of hand warmers.  The chemical ones.

Or just throw a few hand warmers in my coat pockets.

In all honesty, I've had the warmers die out and gotten pretty cold hands in the past.

Link Posted: 11/30/2023 7:56:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Unkie Sam Mittens with wool liners work very well.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 2:20:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Pockets.  
Hand muff with chemical warmers.

Either of those work for me in sub zero Wisconsin winters.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 10:30:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I use thin UA gloves with a warmer pouch.

They are thin enough to fire the gun along with fitting in the warmer pouch.

Link Posted: 11/30/2023 10:43:46 PM EDT
[#13]
FWIW I've heard that chemical hand warmers secrete an odor detectable by some game.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 3:09:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By gearsmithy:
FWIW I've heard that chemical hand warmers secrete an odor detectable by some game.
View Quote

Hunt the wind.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 11:17:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Buckeye33:
The trick is a thin silk or synthetic glove inside your regular glove. Check out glove liners on the interwebs. That’s a trick my dad taught me 45 years ago before there were good hand warmers and thinsulate.
I say this as someone who needs to get some new ones. Mine are shot and I haven’t had to look for new ones in a long time.
View Quote

This is my favorite glove setup but with the flip top mittens.  I also prefer a thin wool liner, tried synthetics and they cause my fingers to sweat and freeze.  Problem is in the last 10 years I haven't been able to find a liner that lasts more than 1 season.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 11:45:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 2009lockedOUT:
I use thin UA gloves with a warmer pouch.

They are thin enough to fire the gun along with fitting in the warmer pouch.

View Quote

This is what I do too.  Not sure how I lived without the hand warmer muff thing.  I don't go hunting in cold weather without it now.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 10:41:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Glommits

Glove mittens.  As mentioned the mitten part flips back.  Gotta wash them every so often so the flap doesn’t stretch out and get too floppy.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 11:49:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Buckeye33:
The trick is a thin silk or synthetic glove inside your regular glove. Check out glove liners on the interwebs. That's a trick my dad taught me 45 years ago before there were good hand warmers and thinsulate.
I say this as someone who needs to get some new ones. Mine are shot and I haven't had to look for new ones in a long time.
View Quote
In the depth of winter I keep glove liners on when I need more dexterity and take the outer glove off. that way my hands usually don't get too cold.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 10:54:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Lightly insulated gloves.
Fanny pack style hand muff deal. USB rechargeable hardware in the hand muff.

Absolutely unbeatable for those cold sits and still hunts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top