Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2024 8:09:49 PM EDT
What are folks thoughts on the best unscented deodorant for SHTF etc, I'm going to buy a bit in bulk for the poke-family as a prep.

When hunting I've used dead down wind stick and it works okay, but is there something better?

-P
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:16:46 PM EDT
[#1]
My choice is Right Guard spray unscented.  It works for me and will surely kill skunk stink on a hound.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:20:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Mando. It actually works.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:36:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Mitchum unscented gel for me. It just works.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:53:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I absolutely hate scents....  

With that said, "Unscented" and "odorless" are two very different things...  A lot of people assume unscented means it does not smell.  This is untrue.  It smells like whatever the base smell of the deodorant is.....   Some still have a significant odor...

I've bought basic cheap Arm and Hammer stick and Mitchum gel in unscented form.  Both are nearly scentless.  My suggestion is avoid just deodorant and its largely just a masking agent.  Buy an antiperspirant, which slows or stops sweaty pits.  Less sweat in the pits, less bacteria to start smelling like a dirty hippie.

True story:   four years ago, I'm, walking out of my deer stand.  Its full black night.  I've got about a 1/2 mile walk on a trail thru swamps, around cornfields, thru woods.  I kick up a deer, which runs and stops what I guess to be 15 yards away.  And I KNOW its a buck, because I can full on smell the bastard.  He's got that full on buck in rut stink.  I dont know why, but it reminded me of the stories of US soldiers being alerted to Viet Long because of the fish sauce smell.  

Locating enemies in the woods because of the scent is pretty damned far fetched.  But smelling like a nasty hippie is disgusting.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:07:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I’ve been using this for decades. No scent and even putting my nose right on it I can only barely smell anything. This is the “original”. The newer “clear” I don’t like.

It can be hard to find sometimes so I usually order it from Amazon.

I know it’s not the most manly packaging but it works fine for me, is unscented and is not expensive.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:19:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dopple:
Mando. It actually works.
View Quote

They sure do advertise a lot.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:32:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:57:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By pikachu:
What are folks thoughts on the best unscented deodorant for SHTF etc, I'm going to buy a bit in bulk for the poke-family as a prep.

When hunting I've used dead down wind stick and it works okay, but is there something better?

-P
View Quote
Just rub local vegetation on you body.
Can also attach some of it to your body.

Worked for eons.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:47:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I use Secret Outlast. Works really well against smelling sweaty. It is a woman's deodorant.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:55:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TNC:
Arm and hammer
View Quote

This ^^^^
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:49:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By TNC:
Arm and hammer
View Quote

& hot soap and water.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:57:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I use Arm & Hammer for unscented on the daily.

Mando for that bourbon leather date night when not wearing other cologne.

I work from home, I didn't believe the Mando 3 day thing, I actually tested that claim... and it's true. (not my normal hygiene ritual, just wanted to see if it could be trusted going forward)
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:59:21 PM EDT
[#13]
the Lesser Generations
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:15:52 AM EDT
[#14]
I trad bow hunt and have absolutely winded other people in the woods based on deodorant/colone, easily the smell from vehicles, and on hiking trails those AT thru hikers a mile away.

Guess, I'll test the following and report back:

Mitchum
Sure
Speedstick
Arm & Hammer
Mando
Dead down wind

I'm not a fan of sprays, so any other recommendations to add?

-P
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:22:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Been using Dry Idea unscented roll-on for years.  Works well, doesn't stank.

I never understood scented deodorants. If you want to smell nice, why rely on a fricking deodorant, get some cologne.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:40:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Maroonfeather:
Been using Dry Idea unscented roll-on for years.  Works well, doesn't stank.

I never understood scented deodorants. If you want to smell nice, why rely on a fricking deodorant, get some cologne.
View Quote

Why bother with cologne when most deodorants/antiperspirants can make one not stink for most of the day and lessen pit sweat to begin with? Most cologne smells like skunk ass anyway.

Definitely interested in this thread. A non-scented deodorant can go a long way to remaining undetected. I've definitely smelled folks a couple hundred yards off when the wind was right. Nothing out in the bush smells like B.O.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:47:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Arrid XX Unscented for me. Hard to find and buy it locally anymore but Amazon has 6 packs that make it easy for me. Been using for decades and it just works for me.

https://www.amazon.com/ARRID-Anti-Perspirant-Deodorant-Solid-Unscented/dp/B001E77NUS
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 5:00:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Sure is what I always used, but almost impossible to find anymore at walmart.  I'm glad to hear amazon carries it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 5:39:48 PM EDT
[#19]
My go-to is Mennen Speed Stick unscented. In addition to the one in use I always try to keep two or three spares. The sticks last a long time so it's almost overkill to have that many but they're cheap

Having a few tubes of toothpaste and toothbrushes is probably smarter.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:16:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TigerForce] [#20]
Originally Posted By pikachu:
(snip)
I'm not a fan of sprays, so any other recommendations to add?

-P
View Quote

I’ll add Certain Dri Clinical Strength Roll-on Antiperspirant, which contains 12% aluminum chloride. The other versions of Certain Dri may contain fragrance.

PSA: Antiperspirants are most effective when applied at night, which is when the part of the autonomic nervous system which stimulates sweat glands is least active. They work by clogging up the sweat glands, which causes them to turn off. You’re welcome.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:19:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By frozenny:
Buy an antiperspirant, which slows or stops sweaty pits.  Less sweat in the pits, less bacteria to start smelling like a dirty hippie.
View Quote

Yes, you want an antiperspirant; that's what's most effective against bacteria which is what really creates the stink.

Having done more than a few multiday AT hikes, you quickly grow used to the body stink and don't realize it, but if you're just getting on the trail and run across somebody who's been trekking for several days and with poor hygiene, you'll notice long before you see them if down wind.

I met my wife for the last 60 miles of her 120-mile trip. I met her at a campground and just after a few days on the trail, she was pretty damn repulsive. I had to hike up wind for a couple days before I could tolerate the smell. We do practice routine hygiene when backpacking, but the constant sweat really activates the bacteria, and your clothes are often the first victim (another reason I try and wear merino wool T-shirts).

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:05:47 AM EDT
[#22]
A little "manscaping" of body hair helps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top