Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2024 11:49:43 AM EDT
No way I can get that unarchived, is there?

They've added a dedicated HF board to it, and now there is a chip to increase presets by like a factor of four, and I don't want to start a new thread.

Sorry i didn't tend this garden, family illness has been my priority, and I just can't focus on technical stuff...
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:17:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Uh, link?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:04:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:46:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know about that thread. This was mine:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/Anysecu-UV-K5-first-thoughts/22-705305/

I just hadn't had time to keep up with all the stuff people have been doing to the thing. I am still hoping for someone to massage the filtering stage over, or select a different component or two in the RF out stages to make it less shitty when it is being used wideband.

There is a LOT of custom firmware out there for it, including computer control, which I think is going to wind up being a big deal in time.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:29:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: smeeg] [#4]
Originally Posted By high_order1:
No way I can get that unarchived, is there?

They've added a dedicated HF board to it, and now there is a chip to increase presets by like a factor of four, and I don't want to start a new thread.

Sorry i didn't tend this garden, family illness has been my priority, and I just can't focus on technical stuff...
View Quote

This what you’re talking about? Listen only correct?
HF FULL BAND Mod. - Quansheng UV-K5 (Si4732 new chip module)
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:26:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By smeeg:

This what you're talking about? Listen only correct?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxwBlp8HfKU
View Quote
for now, anyway.
Makes you a $12 sw radio you can hand to someone and not worry about getting your good one back. Lots of other good things going on as well. Haven't had time to look at how they are getting along at trimming those horrendous spurs off though
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:34:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Who's offering an assembled HF chip kit for these?

Had an at length talk on the air last night with a local friend who did a bunch of firmware mods with his. Says he likes it better than his Baofeng. For $30 plus whatever money I'd have in better HF reception it would be worth experimenting.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:53:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#7]
Shootindave wants. But I have been humbled by tiny surface capacitor soldering before and have conceded defeat.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:28:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Damn Buy It Now ...
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:37:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By smeeg:

This what you're talking about? Listen only correct?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxwBlp8HfKU
View Quote

Interesting video.  For the price it would be fun to attempt the mod.  But I don't like having to leave out that screw to fit the new choke.  There has to be a way to fit it in there without removing the screw.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:45:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 11:35:47 AM EDT
[#11]
here's a digital interface board for it:

http://www.hamskey.com/2024/03/c-board-for-uv-k5.html#more
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:59:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By high_order1:
I don't know about that thread. This was mine:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/Anysecu-UV-K5-first-thoughts/22-705305/

I just hadn't had time to keep up with all the stuff people have been doing to the thing. I am still hoping for someone to massage the filtering stage over, or select a different component or two in the RF out stages to make it less shitty when it is being used wideband.

There is a LOT of custom firmware out there for it, including computer control, which I think is going to wind up being a big deal in time.
View Quote

Would like to see this thread unarchived as well. Good discussion taking place and significant development since.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 12:43:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Gotta say, this little radio has brought some of my interest back to amature radio. I'm running the nunu firmware, and the dock software for remote control. Pretty fun!
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 1:04:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Buy another one, and try the new two antenna HF mod. They say with a couple of component changes, it's actually pretty decent.

I haven't been able to keep up with all the firmware forks. Someone told me they are massaging the matching network and found a better PA as well, too.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:25:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm going to bump this to keep it out of the archives.

If I get to feeling better, I'll try to do a rollup/rundown of what's going on.

I also alluded to another inexpensive handheld for sat work, but, I have it, just can't characterize it presently for a few reasons.

Also, in the 152 thread, there is a guy that posted screencaps of him transmitting on... 53Mhz(?) pretty clean with the newest version.

Interesting time to be alive!
Link Posted: Yesterday 1:34:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: Yesterday 6:38:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By RED_5:
I got my UV-K5(8) about a week or so ago

An affordable, hand held general coverage receiver is of great interest to me
so the HF mod interests me, and I have the know-how and tools to do it... just
don't have a lot of time to mess around with it at that level yet.

the only thing I've done so far, is flashed a few changes easily here:

https://whosmatt.github.io/uvmod/configurator.html

you only need the UV-5R cable to do so, (as well as chirp for channel programming,
so if you have one already, it's pretty low-cost of ownership.)

View Quote
the entire thing is low bar to entry, and not showing any signs of slowing. Then, if it breaks, you can give it to a little kid to take apart...

You see any movement on them fixing the matching network?
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:43:00 PM EDT
[#18]
For whatever reason, my two metal faced k5(99) radios show a pretty clean transmit on 2m. The one plastic face I have is dirty on the 2nd and 4th harmonic. Allegedly they are identical on the inside. It's still a fun little thing to play with!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top