Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2023 4:46:17 PM EDT
Do deer really use trophy rocks or other mineral type rocks?
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 4:57:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Trophy Rock attracts daily visits in NE PA. They last 3-6 months.

Link Posted: 12/29/2023 6:29:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Hunter8282:
Do deer really use trophy rocks or other mineral type rocks?
View Quote
Yes, in fact Trophy Rock is my favorite brand of those.  I've tried a dozen or so, seems deer (atleast in my AO) love the Trophy Rock best.

I usually buy two or three at a time.  I put one way out back of my property, just far enough inside my fence that the cows in the pasture can't reach it.   They have tried and got one.
Then about 3/4 from the house to the back/pasture fence I have an old wooden shed, almost dead center of the yard. It was there when I bought the place.  I have a home made Corn Feeder made out of a 4' Length of 4" PVC, a 90deg elbow and a 2.5' length of PVC.  Part of the top has been cut out, so when I pour "Deer Corn" down the top it works as a gravity feeder for the deer.

I put 2 Game cams on that thing, one on pics, one on videos.
About 12' or so out from that thing I put another Trophy Rock, so I can get pics of the deer that aren't too close up to be any good.
Maybe once a week or a little more often I'll slice up a half bag of red Apples in a large bowl, take it out there and sling them all over in front of the cams and around that Trophy Rock.

I've counted up to 28 deer in my back yard and a bunch more in the pasture behind us.
They lick the shit out of that Trophy rock, so much that now they have rooted a hole, just a bit bigger than a good sized rock that about 6-8" deep.  Both Trophy rocks they rooted a hole at.  I just keep putting them there.

Sometime I will fool around with DeerCaine, Deer Butter, Doe Scent and other crap to see if I can make more come.
No matter what Trophy Rock seems to draw them the best.

There is a wood line about 300ish yards behind my property and the pasture, I see the deer come outta the woods starting a dusk, make their way over for my Trophy Rock and sliced Apples Buffet, then when they have had their fill they meander the rest of the way down my property and cross the road and hop the fence into the pasture over there and about 15' in, there is a pretty decent sized creek that there are some areas they can easily get down to get a drink after the Mineral rocks.

When its well below freezing, I can see them any time a day.
I'll come home at lunch and they'll be half a dozen mingling in my back yard, then another handful or two or three scattered about out in the pasture. Sometimes standing around with the cows..

I definitely like Trophy Rocks...  Reminds me I need to pick a few up this weekend.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 7:27:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Are Trophy Rocks against the regulations to use in states where there is CWD?
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 10:42:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes!

I placed one in a location years ago. Camera recorded a shit ton of deer and elk on it. Three years later, without replacing it, there was a 2’x3’ hole where they kept coming back for the minerals had soaked into the soil.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 10:54:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SpeyRod:
Yes!

I placed one in a location years ago. Camera recorded a shit ton of deer and elk on it. Three years later, without replacing it,there was a 2'x3' hole where they kept coming back for the minerals that had soaked into the soil.
View Quote

Thats what I was talking about above..
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 9:31:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 10:55:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Water softener salt works well also.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 1:38:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By grinning_bob:
Are Trophy Rocks against the regulations to use in states where there is CWD?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Yes, it’s a great way to concentrate and spread CWD on your land.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top