Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2022 8:01:14 PM EDT
What tripods are we using out there? Any better entry-level 'pod than the BOG Deathgrip?
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:17:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for interest
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 7:09:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Although the death grip is great and fairly inexpensive, i was only able to afford a bog pod adrenaline tripod with the "switcharoo" attachments and it has worked very well for me.
It retailed for about 90 iirc
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 7:30:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm running a Slik 700 tripod with Feisol CB-50D ball head. The whole setup cost me about $280 shipped and works well. It's a little on the heavier side but it is pretty solid.

One of my friends has the Bog deathgrip and I was thoroughly unimpressed.

If your budget is unlimited then you want a Really Right Stuff carbon fiber tripod
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 7:40:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Currently] [#4]
I’m using a Gitzo carbon fiber tripod I bought 20 years ago when doing photography.  

Sold all the camera gear except the F4 camera bag and the tripod that has been modded with spiked feet that I can cover with rubber.

Point I’m making is look at used camera forums and such.  I paid half price for a professional tripod that is very stable.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:55:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Okay, I'll do some digging. As long as the weight rating can support your kitted out rig I suppose it'll work? I've been a little leery about looking at tripods that aren't marketed as "shooting" ones.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:04:59 AM EDT
[#6]
In for more info as well. A friend brought out the Deathgrip and I saw no issues with it and have almost ordered one a few times now, but I keep wondering if I'm missing something.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rzrsedge:
In for more info as well. A friend brought out the Deathgrip and I saw no issues with it and have almost ordered one a few times now, but I keep wondering if I'm missing something.
View Quote

Same. It just seems like the best option to get into tripods. You can scrounge the web for a used camera tripod but most of them don't get tall enough for standing shooting or have a high enough weight capacity for a full rig.

Seems most guys like using leveling heads and ball heads but the clamp/vise style on the BOG Deathgrip seems to be the best for everything because it doesn't require you to buy ARCA plates for every gun. You can just slap every gun you own and clamp 'er down.

It seems like in this scenario it's best not to "buy once cry once" because I don't even know how much I'll use the tripod. I've come to the conclusion to buy the Deathgrip, see if I love using the tripod, if I use it more than expected I can buy a fancier one in the future and keep or sell the Deathgrip.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 1:16:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I've been very happy with the night goggles Inc. Night atalker tripod.

Also NGI offers an arfcom discount.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 8:11:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I use either the slik 700 or nightsnipe elite hunter,  both with the ns67 ball head
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 6:07:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By BIgDAM:
I've been very happy with the night goggles Inc. Night atalker tripod.

Also NGI offers an arfcom discount.
View Quote

Oh my. I really like this one... I just bought the damn BOG.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 1:07:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Been hunting for years with every generation of trigger stick topped with some type of rifle clamp.
Now their coming out with the Apex this year.
Apex CF trigger stick
Primos
Strength and quick adjustments = no brainer.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 12:11:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Really wanting to move up to a tripod next season but after using a buddy's BOG pod I'm not sure. It's bulky and adjustment is a pain compared to the trigger sticks. Currently using a trigger stick bipod, downside is not being able to pick the rifle off of it to scan without leaning the bipod against me. For clarity, our use is coyote hunting with thermal, so being able to scan is critical.

Another buddy has both a BOG and a triggerstick tripod. He almost always uses the trigger stick for its light weight and ease of adjustment. Pretty torn right now with which way to go. The new trigger stick looks like a contender but that price is a bit far out if it isn't more durable than other trigger sticks. I haven't broken one but they're not exactly rock solid either. No issues with shot stability but it'd be nice to be able to lift the rifle out and not worry about manipulating the rest.  Lots of tradeoffs.

Anyone else have the same dilemma?
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 7:55:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By LeadBreakfast:
Really wanting to move up to a tripod next season but after using a buddy's BOG pod I'm not sure. It's bulky and adjustment is a pain compared to the trigger sticks. Currently using a trigger stick bipod, downside is not being able to pick the rifle off of it to scan without leaning the bipod against me. For clarity, our use is coyote hunting with thermal, so being able to scan is critical.

Another buddy has both a BOG and a triggerstick tripod. He almost always uses the trigger stick for its light weight and ease of adjustment. Pretty torn right now with which way to go. The new trigger stick looks like a contender but that price is a bit far out if it isn't more durable than other trigger sticks. I haven't broken one but they're not exactly rock solid either. No issues with shot stability but it'd be nice to be able to lift the rifle out and not worry about manipulating the rest.  Lots of tradeoffs.

Anyone else have the same dilemma?
View Quote
When I'm using my tripod my rifle is attached by an Arca swiss mlock adapter. I just pick the whole contraption up and carry it on my shoulder like a hobo stick. It works as long as you don't have to worry about the rifle falling out off the tripod while carrying it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 8:07:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By BIgDAM:
When I'm using my tripod my rifle is attached by an Arca swiss mlock adapter. I just pick the whole contraption up and carry it on my shoulder like a hobo stick. It works as long as you don't have to worry about the rifle falling out off the tripod while carrying it.
View Quote

My buddy does the same with his BOG deathgrip. I have used it, it works well, but the weight, bulk, and it not adjusting as easily are definite cons. On the plus side, it is very stable. I like the notion of the Arca swiss plates but also want to be able to scan without picking the whole works up.

There has to be a better way, I'm just not certain what it is yet.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:19:22 AM EDT
[#15]
So I've used the BOG Deathgrip tripod twice for coyote hunting now. My buddy uses a BOG Havoc bipod which is so light and compact compared to the BOG Deathgrip tripod. I clamped my rig in it and carried it over my shoulder. That rig weighs about 19 lbs. Over the shoulder it wasn't too bad but we didn't hike in too far to our stands.

I had complications with my NV scope and returned it and decided that I wouldn't get much night hunting in the rest of "this season". The night hunting was the main reason I got the tripod. So I think I'll be selling the Deathgrip and get an affordable Primos Trigger Stick bipod or something similar.

In the future, I think I'll be going with the ARCA Swiss/Ball head setup for my next tripod. I'll save ~3-4lbs in weight that way and can use it for rangefinder and binoculars for other hunting trips. Can't use the Deathgrip for that. I don't regret buying it because now I know I want to have the twist lock legs as well.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 12:42:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TROB] [#16]
Innorel RT90c with a leofoto ball head and arca attachments.  Pretty reasonable price.  I’m into my personal one about $400.  I have put my entire body weight on mine. No issues so far.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 7:22:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Attachment Attached File

What’s your budget? I love my RRS, probably 2-3 pounds less than a big and much sturdier.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Smid:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/325907/0C14E122-E29E-41C6-B4EF-6D4AA69C6B87_jpe-2328526.JPG

What’s your budget? I love my RRS, probably 2-3 pounds less than a big and much sturdier.
View Quote

Wow, those RRS are nice  How do you go from tripod  to gun?

Link Posted: 4/2/2022 2:10:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I use a RRS leveling base and have an m-lok arca rail on my handguard
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 2:21:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Recently picked up a Manfrotto tripod for $7 at a thrift store. I bought a two pack of adaptors off Amazon for $10.

I mounted the adaptor to the m-loc on my fore end. A bit heavy but nice For the range.

For hunting I have a Bushnell light weight tripod, managed to break the original head, so I replaced it with a basic one off Amazon.

The adaptors work well, once they are attached to the gun.

I would have liked to have a hog saddle or the likes, but funds were low.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 9:18:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By MrSprocket:
Recently picked up a Manfrotto tripod for $7 at a thrift store. I bought a two pack of adaptors off Amazon for $10.

I mounted the adaptor to the m-loc on my fore end. A bit heavy but nice For the range.

For hunting I have a Bushnell light weight tripod, managed to break the original head, so I replaced it with a basic one off Amazon.

The adaptors work well, once they are attached to the gun.

I would have liked to have a hog saddle or the likes, but funds were low.
View Quote

Nice score!

ARCA>a saddle. Only reason I see to run a saddle is if you want to run an old bolt gun you don't want to drill to mount an ARCA plate to.  Even better are ARCA rails that lock into the head so they can't slide, like the Area 419 system.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 9:05:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GimmeLibertee] [#22]
I just picked up the Primos Trigger Stick Gen3 Tall, and couldn't be happier.  The squirrels in my backyard area can't say the same...
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 10:42:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 8:39:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I use the carbon Deathgrip. Love it. I paid 203 to my door.

Thinking about ordering the Arca compatible head too.

Use it exclusively on our 10 acres killing freaking foxes. Bastards are relentless.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top