Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2023 1:13:10 PM EDT
The family and I have been getting into camping over the last couple years. Trouble is, we live in Texas and the hot weather makes it unbearable most of the year. Anybody have a free standing ac unit for our tent they'd recommend? We can go to a campground that has electricity, so no need for a generator or anything.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 1:26:44 PM EDT
[#1]
More of a super swamp cooler, but I've considered this one ICY Breeze  since actual portable AC units are pretty pricey. Right now we have battery fans and they dont cut it in the summer.

Link Posted: 4/19/2023 2:37:31 PM EDT
[#2]
How to a/c your tent and camp comfortably in 100 degree temps!
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 2:45:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Banditman] [#3]
Look at those that look like a window unit but have two 3to 4 inch hoses on the front. One hose is inlet and other is return. They even come with remotes

something like this

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 3:28:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TexasSheepdog:
More of a super swamp cooler, but I've considered this one ICY Breeze  since actual portable AC units are pretty pricey. Right now we have battery fans and they dont cut it in the summer.

View Quote

"I just got my Icy Breeze and this thing is amazing. This thing blows harder than my ex-girlfriend and just as cold -hearted. You're missing out if you don't have one."
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 3:47:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I’ve seen a 110 AC air conditioner on the ground in the door of a tent in Florida.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 5:33:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Urimaginaryfrnd:
I've seen a 110 AC air conditioner on the ground in the door of a tent in Florida.
View Quote
Before we got a 17' Travel camper with some of the trimmings, we had a 6 or 8 man tent that had some lil doggy door entrance on the side that looked like the entrance to an igloo...  We shoved a small window unit in it, sitting on a small 2x4 pallet thing I built,  Duck taped around it too seal it in better, and sent it.

Used it for a few summers.

A few nights I actually had to turn it off.  
Had a remote I stashed in the zippered bag on one of the walls were I kept a small light and a G19, when I was in it.
No idea where that tent went.  My guess is the kids ""Borrowed it"", never to be seen again.

Link Posted: 4/19/2023 6:07:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I've seen regular window ac sitting on a small table right against the screen inside a tent. It was like 95 outside and 70 inside.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 3:09:10 PM EDT
[#8]
bumping for more ideas

Link Posted: 4/25/2023 3:12:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By smullen:
Before we got a 17' Travel camper with some of the trimmings, we had a 6 or 8 man tent that had some lil doggy door entrance on the side that looked like the entrance to an igloo...  We shoved a small window unit in it, sitting on a small 2x4 pallet thing I built,  Duck taped around it too seal it in better, and sent it.

Used it for a few summers.

A few nights I actually had to turn it off.  
Had a remote I stashed in the zippered bag on one of the walls were I kept a small light and a G19, when I was in it.
No idea where that tent went.  My guess is the kids ""Borrowed it"", never to be seen again.

View Quote

I have done the same. Even the roll around with exhaust hose will work.

I finally went from tents to a 35’ camper.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 3:24:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BLKVooDoo] [#10]
If you are a handy, DIY type of person, this works better than a AC and will not draw as much juice. This is what I built for my K9 transport trailer.

Parts needed:
1 - Transmission cooler radiator
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C3F3SO?tag=arfcom00-20

1 - Small 12v submersible pump
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SQNJYR6/ref=emc_b_5_t
OR
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086N211TF?tag=arfcom00-20

1 - large 12v computer fan
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084RMYY32?tag=arfcom00-20

50' of hose that will fit the transmission radiator

Drop the pump into a cooler filled with ice and water. Run the hose into the tent to the radiator/fan. Run the return hose back to the cooler. Turn the power on.

It's like a hybrid swamp cooler/Air conditioner but no increased humidity.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 10:42:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I live in Texas and camp quite a bit. I use a Serene Life portable AC/Heater/Dehumidifier unit for all the seasons that we get. Last July I kept the temp of the tent down in the 60's while it was triple digits outside.

Link

Link above is to a 4,000 BTU Unit. It shows out of stock for the 8,000 BTU. I have the 8,000 BTU for reference. Love it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 9:21:41 PM EDT
[#12]
The Ecoflow Wave 2 may be an option for you.  You do have vent it.

Here is a thorough review of it:

EcoFlow Wave 2 Solar Battery Powered Portable Air Conditioner Heater Review
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 9:44:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Window unit on top of your ice chest. They are made for big rooms. Not small tents.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 10:02:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Idk what it's like in your part of Texas,  but if you can,  get higher up in altitude,  get in the shade,  get a better ventilated tent,  and don't hang out in the tent during the day.  Or camp where there's water to play in.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 4:46:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Get a 5kbtu window unit, if you don't want a new one, see them that work for cheap at yard sales.

Set it on a milk crate by the the tent, gray tape it to a hole in the tent, plug it in, turn it on and your gtg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top