Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2024 7:43:00 PM EDT
I was watching a documentary on Ukraine, and there's a clip where they show Mariupol residents using adhesive tape on windows and mirrors to help reduce shattering in the event they experienced nearby concussive blasts from ordnance. I understand that the city in question was virtually leveled by both governments, so I don't know the results of using tape there, but I can assume their efforts were somewhat initially effective. However, for domestic applications (i.e. earthquakes with prolonged aftershocks or small-scale civil unrest, etc.), would it worth it to exert yourself and expend the supplies to do the same to your home's windows?

See 11:56
20 Days in Mariupol (full documentary) | Academy Award® Winner | FRONTLINE + @AssociatedPress
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 9:01:38 PM EDT
[#1]
People use to do it for hurricanes and tornados.  Was good intentions but poor result.  The result was it created large flying projectiles of pieces of glass.  For an earthquake I wouldn't think there'd be any time to do so, even if it was deemed effective.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 9:31:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd look at 3M window film or a similar product.

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:17:58 PM EDT
[#3]
This is how you tell the newcomers from the experienced residents when a hurricane comes to town.  Taping does nothing for your windows except leave big lines of tape residue on the glass that looks like shit for several years after the storm.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 7:28:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Would like to get the 3M security film for daily use and have looked into plylox for being able to add precut plywood window covers. I'm not in hurricane zone so its stayed low on the list for now but would like to have on hand eventually.

https://plylox.com/

Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:53:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scalped] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Deny_Everything:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Deny_Everything:

Normally, I'd consider this outstanding advice as I'm quite familiar with 3M's security film. However, in exigent circumstances where both the opportunity and means of solely using tape (duct, painter's, masking, electrical, etc.) in emergency situations involving unprepared structures is what I'm mainly interested in. For example, if one were to experience one of the adverse environments above at someone else's house or if one had to recommend unorthodox safety measures to another person at a remote location.

I did go down the rabbit hole a little bit and found that an Ukrainian site (owned by a Ukrainian politician) advises such practices:

OBOZ.UA talks about six ways to protect windows from the effects of nearby explosions and about the advantages and disadvantages of each of them.

Adhesive tape

Adhesive tape alone will not help prevent glass from breaking during an explosion, but it will prevent it from shattering and injuring those in the room. Therefore, it is necessary to seal as large an area as possible. There is no correct form of sealing. Apply the tape crosswise, in a chaotic pattern, or even completely cover the entire surface of the glass: all these methods will help better protect against shards. You can also tape frames together to prevent them from flying out during an explosion.

https://eng.obozrevatel.com/section-life/news-not-just-duct-tape-how-to-protect-windows-from-shock-waves-03-01-2024.html

However, a Ukrainian civilian reported the ineffectiveness as some above have posted:
We returned only after the emergency response team came. We collected windows and debris, looked through the rubbish and gathered it into bags. It was then that I noticed for the first time then that taping up windows with masking tape didn’t work — it didn’t protect from broken glass at all.

(this link also has a lot of pictures of the various ways people barricaded their windows)
https://birdinflight.com/en/architectura-2/20220524-dmytro-zaiets.html

Alternatively, I scoured some Japanese sites and found one blogger who cited a FEMA hurricane publication that called the practice a "myth" despite reports of Japanese citizens "panic buying" adhesive materials :

Because of the Typhoon Hagibis (typhoon no.19) curing tape stockists are running out out one after another. “Orders are rapidly increasing.”

Dreading the hassle of finding curing tape (what even is curing tape?!) and X-ing all your windows one by one?

Well, the measure seems to actually be a myth.

https://blog.gaijinpot.com/tweet-of-the-week-50-typhoon-hagibis-causes-panic-buying-of-tape/

Alternatively, Hong Kong government also encouraged such practice:
Typhoon Mangkhut: Hong Kong shops run out of masking tape – but is there any point in using it on your windows as a safety measure?
Advice from Hong Kong Observatory is to fix adhesive tape to large window panes to reduce damage and injury. But US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration says it is ‘waste of effort, time and tape’

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/2164276/super-typhoon-mangkhut-hong-kong-shops-run-out

It would be interesting to see if the same effectiveness is reported with those who continually deal with large earthquakes and their subsequent and prolonged aftershocks like in Japan or Chile. But this whole thing is funny because a couple of months ago one of our glass-framed pictures, which was secured through 3M's "Command" strips, failed, and it fell and broke into hundreds of small shards.. the easiest part of the cleanup was picking up the large pieces
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:54:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By flcracker:
This is how you tell the newcomers from the experienced residents when a hurricane comes to town.  Taping does nothing for your windows except leave big lines of tape residue on the glass that looks like shit for several years after the storm.
View Quote

I could probably make some good money there with a bottle of Goo-Gone and a heat gun
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 6:24:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Scalped

Not 'cane rated but tornado...

Texas Tech University has had a tornado lab going for decades.   TTU is in Lubbock TX.  Lubbock was vacuumed up and thrown over more that one county of TX in a F5 tornado in the early 1970s.

The lab built an air gun to simulate a common 2X4 wood stud moving at tornado speeds.

For a time in my life I was a vendor to the lab and got to go there.

I'll just say that a cinder block wall is does not hinder a tornado 2X4.

Now about taping windows...

Once upon a time.
There was a door.
This door had double pane window.
A veteran had a new build.
Vet was doing reloads with new build.
OOPS
NOW everyone is awake.
Ok nobody hurt and the only thing that the projectile could have hit is a cotton plant.
Well there is now a hole in the glass.
After cooling overnight there are cracks.
Ok tape the glass
All of it both panes inside and out.

Short answer is tape allowed me to put 42 pounds of glass in the trash at once.  I'm still finding some of the remaining 87 pounds to this day.

I live in tornado country

Tape before tornado Nope No time
If a tornado took a window
I'd tape just to control what's left

Tape for 'cane Nope... If I live in FL folks are gonna talk about my house as looking unfriendly... boarded windows.

Link Posted: 3/9/2024 8:06:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Board up the windows .

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top