User Panel

TRI AN/PRC-152 (Page 24 of 25)
Page / 25
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 4:00:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: chanrobi] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HansUSA:
How is it spam?

It's $9 to help you safely and properly repair a radio that often costs $500+ after shipping, to ensure you get longevity and value for your expensive purchase where no after care otherwise exists from the manufacturer.

If that is not worth it to you, do not buy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
How is it spam?

It's $9 to help you safely and properly repair a radio that often costs $500+ after shipping, to ensure you get longevity and value for your expensive purchase where no after care otherwise exists from the manufacturer.

If that is not worth it to you, do not buy.

It's spam because you registered a free account expressly to advertise a paid product, which is prohibited in the code of conduct which you should've read when you clicked register.

Specific to Sales

Companies or individuals may not advertise or sell products and/or services in the forums without permission from an admin. (This includes siglines and titles.) Industry Partners are allowed to post sales or specials on a limited basis and also require admin permission.

Have fun getting banned
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 4:09:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I've swapped connectors on an AN/PRC-148. I can't imagine it's that much more involved. Remove whatever is connected to the pins then loosen the mechanical locking device. From what I see inside my Harris stuff it looks the same.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 11:58:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Dang, I looked these up on aliexpress and they are kind of pricey. A bit over 300.00 for just the radio, and another 100 or so for the remote.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 5:54:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:
Guess I'm lookin in the wrong places. I missed a chance at a Civ MBITR a few years back, but there was a shitload of drama with that whole deal.
View All Quotes
Guess I'm lookin in the wrong places. I missed a chance at a Civ MBITR a few years back, but there was a shitload of drama with that whole deal.
Dude

I have no idea where the actual fountain of radio is. I've gotten closer but, have no clue. I assumed they were coming off the back of a foreign mil truck, or like the old moto ALT radios, from a harris garbage can.

No one will read me in lol.

Originally Posted By chanrobi:
For those of you with the latest TCA 2023 version with gps (or without). Can anyone confirm that real milsurp H350 6pin handsets (or any handset of that style, but has to be real military ones) work with it?

I'm seeing conflicting information online ...

I can't imagine why they wouldn't work. Most of the issues you read about in the forums and boards are issues with end users and not really the radios.

Hi I was directed here from another TRI owners group

As many of you know and have experienced the TRI PRC-148 has some common issues with the antenna connector coming loose or in some cases breaking off.

After experiencing this and seeing the problem repeated for many other TRI owners, including numerous radios bricked by failed repair attempts, I decided to disassemble one of my own radios and photograph the process in order to walk people through the repair step-by-step

I've also had a lot of people asking about the 10-Pin maritime connectors and converting their 6-Pin to 10-Pin (or vice versa) as well as the layouts for the two headset connectors, so I have included the pin-out for both connectors in the guide as well as a conversion chart between the two of them.

If you've had this problem with your antenna connector coming loose, or if you want to convert your radio to a different headset jack I've included the full instructions with pics of each step in a PDF

You can get it here (I removed)

Hope this helps some of you
- Hans

That would be great if you did that for free, as others have done. There are other guides out. I understand your rationale of time and expense, but this is a technical forum, and there are rules to prevent driveby sales. We have a for sale forum, but what would help you is for you to get vouched by someone that looked at your product.

Originally Posted By lorazepam:
Dang, I looked these up on aliexpress and they are kind of pricey. A bit over 300.00 for just the radio, and another 100 or so for the remote.

That's because they were invented for the specwargear hong kong gucci airsofter. They wanted the look, at minimal performance. They definitely got what they asked for. Since then, people have consistently confused them with the real steel versions and amazingly enough, got some innovations done.

I still can't recommend any of them outside of a few use cases. But they are unique if you collect radios, or have an emotional tie, or are looking for a particular 'look'.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 9:32:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HansUSA] [#5]
Originally Posted By high_order1:

That would be great if you did that for free, as others have done. There are other guides out. I understand your rationale of time and expense, but this is a technical forum, and there are rules to prevent driveby sales. We have a for sale forum, but what would help you is for you to get vouched by someone that looked at your product.

View Quote

Thanks, fair point. I don't intend to do a "drive by" as the canadian suggested, I have helped a lot of people fix their radios and provide answers but obviously I'm new on this forum so I understand the reaction to a degree.

I've been trying to get ahold of the ultra-elusive programming software for the TRI-148 also and if I ever succeed I will share that with everyone along with the pin layout for the USB programming cable. I can reverse engineer the pin-out but of course this would require one of the lucky few who have the Monda USB stick to share the software files.

Link Posted: 1/31/2024 10:34:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I've seen that software in the wild.

We really haven't discussed the 148 clones in here much, preferring the 152's instead. Do you have anything for them?
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 11:01:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HansUSA] [#7]
I've seen that software in the wild
View All Quotes
I've seen that software in the wild

I'd love to get my hands on it, if you ever have the opportunity again I implore you to inquire.

We really haven't discussed the 148 clones in here much, preferring the 152's instead. Do you have anything for them?

I've been using both since the first release of the plastic TRI-152, my friends & I got 4 of the originals, since then we have owned at least a couple of all the rest except the FCS.

The 148 definitely has it's flaws, the antenna connectors have a tendency to fall off (hence my repair guide) and they're picky with external PTTs but when they work they're amazing.

We've used numerous of the TCA first gen & current gen 152's as well as the TCA 148. TRI first gen plastic as mentioned, second gen metal, and third gen 152's with KDUs, plus of course the TRI 148 in both 6 & 10 pin variety. We also had a Toysoldier 148 back in the day which was hot junk.

Message split because "New accounts are limited to 2,000 characters per post"
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 11:02:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HansUSA] [#8]
We've found the best performance in field from the TRI-148 and the TRI metal 15w 152s. They achieve the longest broadcast range by a noticeable margin over the others even when running in lower power, we have tested them from miles away in forested and mountainous terrain on numerous occasions & they outperformed even expensive ICOM manpacks with higher wattage much to the owners chagrin. The antenna is very important to get top performance, the real thales 30-512mhz and 136-174mhz both work great, and the oldschool CAG green tips in 400-470mhz are phenomenal on the repro radios.

The TCAs are good and have a much better clarity of sound when receiving transmissions, sometimes the TRI will receive a garbled transmission while the TCA's is clear, but then the TCA cannot transmit a response while the TRI can. The TCA's also play nicer with genuine PTTs & headsets in my experience.

I'm sure most of this has been discussed here already but it's another perspective from someone who has experienced most of the options out there and been able to directly compare them.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 1:26:47 AM EDT
[#9]
We've found the best performance in field from the TRI-148 and the TRI metal 15w 152s. They achieve the longest broadcast range by a noticeable margin over the others even when running in lower power, we have tested them from miles away in forested and mountainous terrain on numerous occasions & they outperformed even expensive ICOM manpacks with higher wattage much to the owners chagrin. The antenna is very important to get top performance, the real thales 30-512mhz and 136-174mhz both work great, and the oldschool CAG green tips in 400-470mhz are phenomenal on the repro radios.

The TCAs are good and have a much better clarity of sound when receiving transmissions, sometimes the TRI will receive a garbled transmission while the TCA's is clear, but then the TCA cannot transmit a response while the TRI can. The TCA's also play nicer with genuine PTTs & headsets in my experience.

I'm sure most of this has been discussed here already but it's another perspective from someone who has experienced most of the options out there and been able to directly compare them.
View Quote

Wattage doesn't correlate with range or reception.

How exactly were these "field tests" conducted?
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 12:33:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By chanrobi:

Wattage doesn't correlate with range or reception.

How exactly were these "field tests" conducted?
View Quote

No shit sherlock that's what I just said, and I'm not going to offer you a serious response or explanation because you come across as a prick.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 11:51:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chanrobi] [#11]

No shit sherlock that's what I just said, and I'm not going to offer you a serious response or explanation because you come across as a prick.
View Quote

Well i'm convinced

You going to tell us how these "tests" were conducted?

Or did you simply register here to post personal attacks and shill your own products for pay?
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:17:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:44:21 PM EDT
[#13]
buy this for me:

Harris Falcon III radio RF-7850M
View Quote

But, if it breaks you are fucked. My 5800 sat as a basket case for three years until one night I finally had the right combination of beers that I managed to fix it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 9:57:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By mancow:

But, if it breaks you are fucked. My 5800 sat as a basket case for three years until one night I finally had the right combination of beers that I managed to fix it.
View Quote
Bad cap if I remember

I don't really want to talk on it. I just want to flex on the local ARES and TACN nerds that have shunned me lol

k, that one didn't trip your squelch. How bout dis? You get one, I get one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134951871139
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:42:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I've got one of the newer TRI AN/PRC-152 with the aluminum body... it seems like I'm receiving on Frequencies A and B regardless of which I have selected. Do any of you know how to disable this?
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:59:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Your radio is set up for dual watch, but you want to unselect/mute one?
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 3:37:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ztrusler] [#17]
Yes, that's correct. I wasn't able to find a dual watch setting in the menu options or documentation on how to disable it like.

-- EDIT --

And just so we're clear... I do not want or need this functionality. The longer I try to find a solution, the more this looks like a glitch vs a feature involving the firmware.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:39:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HansUSA] [#18]
Originally Posted By ztrusler:
I've got one of the newer TRI AN/PRC-152 with the aluminum body... it seems like I'm receiving on Frequencies A and B regardless of which I have selected. Do any of you know how to disable this?
View Quote

You can't, it's a flaw in the newer models. If you only want to receive on one channel you have to set both to the same frequency.

If you want dual receive it will be always on while they are programmed.

If you want single receive, but the ability to switch channels, your best option is to pre-program them and save them as named channels then manually swap between them.

This is one reason to avoid the newer TRI 152's despite their reasonably good performance and prefer the TRI 148 or TCA 152. Although as I stated before the 15w TRI-152s have great performance even when running on lower wattage (as W does not = range as discussed previously), so it's a trade off you have to make your own decision about.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:45:41 AM EDT
[#19]
There is chatter that the newest TCA unit (post April 2023) can work 30-512 once unlocked. Trying to get some confirmation, have any of you heard this?

Also, may work on the previous generation.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:19:58 PM EDT
[#20]
There is chatter that the newest TCA unit (post April 2023) can work 30-512 once unlocked. Trying to get some confirmation, have any of you heard this?

View Quote

I am very interested in this....
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:46:16 AM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

Yea, that would be nice. I've been hoping the chicoms start turning attention to proper lowband coverage.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:54:28 PM EDT
[#22]
I am arguing with them now in that room.

Apparently, it does unlock the unit to be on low band frequencies. The problem is, the person that is verifying this behavior believes that whatever the wattmeter says is what is coming out on the frequency on the radio.

This is a problem.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 3:50:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HansUSA] [#23]

View Quote

Correct, it only works on the very latest model. You have to download the programming software to do it, the software is locked. Passwords for the software & parameter adjustment are: 11882 and 288288

Whether the radio performs well in those frequencies, well that's a matter that needs to be tested. I can't offer a definitive answer.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 6:09:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By mancow:

Yea, that would be nice. I've been hoping the chicoms start turning attention to proper lowband coverage.
View Quote

I just want something small/decent on 6 meters that works with all my antiques as well as repeaters. Be double plus nice if it did WbFM and NbFM as well.

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 6:10:25 PM EDT
[#25]
I am arguing with them now in that room.

Apparently, it does unlock the unit to be on low band frequencies. The problem is, the person that is verifying this behavior believes that whatever the wattmeter says is what is coming out on the frequency on the radio.

This is a problem.
View Quote

Huh?
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 6:35:48 PM EDT
[#26]

Huh?
View Quote
It might be putting out ten watts at 50mhz, or it might be putting out 1w on frequency and the remainder spread across the band.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 3:31:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#27]
It might be putting out ten watts at 50mhz, or it might be putting out 1w on frequency and the remainder spread across the band.
View Quote

Ah I see. So no one with a spec has actually tested or looked at this. sounds  like someone with some test equipment needs to actually measure this.

Link Posted: 4/3/2024 6:43:29 PM EDT
[#28]

Ah I see. So no one with a spec has actually tested or looked at this. sounds  like someone with some test equipment needs to actually measure this.

View Quote
That is my understanding.

Just one dude overseas that dialed in 50, threw a watt meter on it and said yup!

Having said that, even if it threw spurs everywhere, if it put out about a watt, and you put a filter network on it, you might  be able to excite a ham transmitter with it. Wouldn't be handheld anymore, but...

I am continuing to watch the quan sheng thing unfold. Somebody told me they were working on massaging the connection between the chip and pa, and replacing the PA with something that worked better.

If you could get it to work, then get someone to build / write a driver for all those surplus FALCON II key panels... a 117 is only a 3d print away.

Wonder if you could wireshark it, or if it is some fruity proprietary harris language between the box and the control panel?
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:04:54 PM EDT
[#29]
That is my understanding.

Just one dude overseas that dialed in 50, threw a watt meter on it and said yup!

Having said that, even if it threw spurs everywhere, if it put out about a watt, and you put a filter network on it, you might  be able to excite a ham transmitter with it. Wouldn't be handheld anymore, but...

I am continuing to watch the quan sheng thing unfold. Somebody told me they were working on massaging the connection between the chip and pa, and replacing the PA with something that worked better.

If you could get it to work, then get someone to build / write a driver for all those surplus FALCON II key panels... a 117 is only a 3d print away.

Wonder if you could wireshark it, or if it is some fruity proprietary harris language between the box and the control panel?
View Quote

Yeah, way above my paygrade doing shit like that, I just want a reasonably priced 30-512 radio. Preferably with some bells n whistles.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 11:38:36 AM EDT
[#30]
the 12 dollar qs one is 13-1300, with old cell cut out. The problem right now is that it doesn't put enough out on frequency outside of 2m & 440 and what it does put out is trashy.

I know josh is working on an older TCA model, and I think some others are too, but I am not privy to any of it.

I want low band also and inexpensively. I feel pretty good it's getting closer
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:57:06 PM EDT
[#31]
The FB, TRI/TCA radio Mbitr owners group has a discussion on the unlocked TCA and one of the guys is saying:

"I just tested 70mhz, and there's harmonics on 140, 210, 280, 350 etc etc. No such issue with the official tx frequencies ..." There is some questions on if the chip was actually designed for the unlocked frequencises or if it is just "able" to do them.

Also thanks to this thread I contacted ShiQing and have a TCA ordered, its been awhile since I broke out the tech license and I had forgotten how damn expensive the radio hobby is.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 11:58:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Omni:
The FB, TRI/TCA radio Mbitr owners group has a discussion on the unlocked TCA and one of the guys is saying:

"I just tested 70mhz, and there's harmonics on 140, 210, 280, 350 etc etc. No such issue with the official tx frequencies ..." There is some questions on if the chip was actually designed for the unlocked frequencises or if it is just "able" to do them.

Also thanks to this thread I contacted ShiQing and have a TCA ordered, its been awhile since I broke out the tech license and I had forgotten how damn expensive the radio hobby is.
View Quote
Get a good antenna for it, and good battery. He gonna throw in a programming cable, too?
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 12:08:49 AM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Likely filtering problems, which might be fixable, but who knows. Shitty if it doesn't work tho.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 12:16:22 AM EDT
[#34]

Likely filtering problems, which might be fixable, but who knows. Shitty if it doesn't work tho.
View Quote
somebody credible is going to have to step up. I agree on the filtering, but it would suck to have to do a swap every time you want to select another preset.

On another front, I just bought another cheap radio to see if it will work satellites. Supposed to run from about 130 to 600 continuous according to the manufacturer. Once I get it and throw it on the machines I'll put some info in my qs thread if anyone is interested.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 5:00:38 PM EDT
[#35]
I already had a programing cable for it coming from Ebay, I also picked up two real Harris batteries to run it.

Should be fun to play around with, hope to have it sometime next week.

Any antenna suggestions?
I was toying with the idea of getting one of the real Harris UHF/VHF 115-420Mhz goosenecks that have been pulled from service that are on Ebay; but am not real sure.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 5:25:14 PM EDT
[#36]
I already had a programing cable for it coming from Ebay, I also picked up two real Harris batteries to run it.

Any antenna suggestions?
I was toying with the idea of getting one of the real Harris UHF/VHF 115-420Mhz goosenecks that have been pulled from service that are on Ebay; but am not real sure.
View Quote

Only problem is finding one that isn't a counterfeit or was red tagged and surplused.

I don't really have any suggestions. The antenna for me is like a golf club, more I need to move and not baby the radio the worse they get lol.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 11:17:32 PM EDT
[#37]
somebody credible is going to have to step up. I agree on the filtering, but it would suck to have to do a swap every time you want to select another preset.

On another front, I just bought another cheap radio to see if it will work satellites. Supposed to run from about 130 to 600 continuous according to the manufacturer. Once I get it and throw it on the machines I'll put some info in my qs thread if anyone is interested.
View Quote

please do.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 5:53:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Shoot me the details on what antenna you're seeking,  I tend to run across oddball "NIB Harris surplus" accessories on occasion and typically ignore the stuff that doesn't fit my Harris radios.

Only problem is finding one that isn't a counterfeit or was red tagged and surplused.

I don't really have any suggestions. The antenna for me is like a golf club, more I need to move and not baby the radio the worse they get lol.
View All Quotes

Any antenna suggestions?

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 6:27:36 PM EDT
[#39]

please do.
View Quote
It is literally on the slow boat, which is the easy part. Finding my satcom antenna and digging out my test tools now that I don't work at a shop... (shrugs).
Originally Posted By juan223:
Shoot me the details on what antenna you're seeking,  I tend to run across oddball "NIB Harris surplus" accessories on occasion and typically ignore the stuff that doesn't fit my Harris radios.

View Quote
I can vouch for juan. Good people.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 7:27:00 PM EDT
[#40]
It is literally on the slow boat, which is the easy part. Finding my satcom antenna and digging out my test tools now that I don't work at a shop... (shrugs).
I can vouch for juan. Good people.
View Quote

Thanks,  but i must have misread, thought you needed one.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:43:23 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote
nuh uh, I got a bunch of stuff I may wind up having to sell before this is all over here.

There are a couple of CD's I have been asking around for, next time we talk, I'll tell you more. Not a real priority though
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 10:06:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Omni] [#42]

View Quote

It was me who was looking; I am trying to find one of these in good condition, working, for less than $100.00

https://www.ebay.com/itm/395294784306
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 3:29:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: high_order1] [#43]

It was me who was looking; I am trying to find one of these in good condition, working, for less than $100.00

View Quote

You're gonna put a donkey dick on a handheld radio? I'm not even sure what adapter you'd need for that...
edit: that's also going to be oob for GMRS, too
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:07:07 AM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

Unless you have a legit 113 don't do that.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 7:59:38 PM EDT
[#45]

You're gonna put a donkey dick on a handheld radio? I'm not even sure what adapter you'd need for that...
edit: that's also going to be oob for GMRS, too
View Quote

Holy shit! they call it a Donkey Dick! Ha ha ha ha ha haaaa!

I am going to use the context clues you gave and asume that it is grossly oversized for what I had in mind. I liked the way it looked, for some reason I was assuming it was around 1x16 or so in size. Being called a Donkey Dick I am going to say my size assumption was off!

I like the way this one looked, since my original plan was amazingly flawed does anyone have recomendations on what antenna to get for this radio?

Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:35:47 AM EDT
[#46]

Holy shit! they call it a Donkey Dick! Ha ha ha ha ha haaaa!

I am going to use the context clues you gave and asume that it is grossly oversized for what I had in mind. I liked the way it looked, for some reason I was assuming it was around 1x16 or so in size. Being called a Donkey Dick I am going to say my size assumption was off!

I like the way this one looked, since my original plan was amazingly flawed does anyone have recomendations on what antenna to get for this radio?

View Quote
That's the big fat one you see on the 80's backpack army man radio.

You've asked a very complicated question. It depends on where you're gonna carry the radio and antenna, how efficient you want the antenna to be, and what frequencies you want to be on.

If you only want to be on one frequency, and stay close to people, and leave it in a pouch, you can get away with a really tiny antenna.

If you want to use all the frequencies in the radio, the antenna starts getting bigger. The biggest one is made essentially from a tape measure, and it behaves like one.

They make a tampon tube looking one on a gooseneck, but most of them perform like shit.

This right here is about the cream of the crop in all the checkboxes I said above:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/235080986067?itmmeta=01HV5WZ8RT52EZ7TRZQCDWXPC8&hash=item36bbeb2dd3:g:b5gAAOSw~mRkqH1D
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 1:38:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DaveThePook] [#47]
Can we get a mid-2024 update? Are there any new releases as of 4/2024? Which is now the more capable, feature-packed model?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:44:55 PM EDT
[#48]
That's the big fat one you see on the 80's backpack army man radio.

You've asked a very complicated question. It depends on where you're gonna carry the radio and antenna, how efficient you want the antenna to be, and what frequencies you want to be on.

If you only want to be on one frequency, and stay close to people, and leave it in a pouch, you can get away with a really tiny antenna.

If you want to use all the frequencies in the radio, the antenna starts getting bigger. The biggest one is made essentially from a tape measure, and it behaves like one.

They make a tampon tube looking one on a gooseneck, but most of them perform like shit.

This right here is about the cream of the crop in all the checkboxes I said above:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/235080986067?itmmeta=01HV5WZ8RT52EZ7TRZQCDWXPC8&hash=item36bbeb2dd3:g:b5gAAOSw~mRkqH1D
View Quote

Not sure how I missed that one when I was looking on ebay. I'm going to give it a try and we will see how it works compared to the stock antenna, at least it's a real harris.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:49:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By DaveThePook:
Can we get a mid-2024 update? Are there any new releases as of 4/2024? Which is now the more capable, feature-packed model?

Thanks!
View Quote

When I ordered from Shiqing I asked for the newest model and he said that is what they are sending. Whenever it arrives I will look and see what the manufacture date is on the back; the FB groups havent mentioned a newer one yet so I am expecting the 2023 model.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 4:51:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mancow] [#50]
I know it would be some work but I would think a guy could come up with a pin diode switched SMT based harmonic stripline filter network to place in the RF path right after the TX amp on a Quansheng or one of the 152 things being discussed. The quansheng would likely be way too small but there should be room in a 152 variant. Figuring out how to flag for frequency range switching would be another challenge. Some of the custom firmware might be able to spit out the current freq data for a microcontroller to monitor and act on. Basically, that's what the inside of a real deal MBITR seems to do with the entire inner side of one RF deck arranged in lines of switched filters with an Atmel microcontroller managing it all. The XG100M appears similar as well with filter networks branching out both the RX paths and also from the various RF amp blocks, switched with PIN diodes and RF switching QFN packages. I have a demilled but RF section intact XG100M RF board and a DER-EE meter and 0-1500 MHz specan with tracking gen. If I had time it would be fun to try to model something similar, maybe starting with 29-54 to see what could be achieved using a 5K HT as the DUT. I've used the specan to sweep and adjust a Syntor X9000 RF deck to bring up the 50 MHz end and regain about 20 watts output, similar overall concept.
Page / 25
TRI AN/PRC-152 (Page 24 of 25)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top