Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2022 10:48:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TCH2FIX]
Hello fellow Firearm Enthusiasts!   I am checking the box on a bucket list type fishing trip this year.  I have always wanted to do some fly fishing for some large Native Trout.   I am mildly successful at fly fishing so far.   I just pulled in a 16” rainbow two weeks ago on a dry ant.  We don’t have real big trout here in Virginia.  The natives here are small, and what’s stocked gets fished out fast.  There is no such thing as catch & release in my part of the state with trout. Everyone keeps them.  But I digress.

I have reservations for a campsite near the stream; a wall tent, wood stove, waders, all necessary gear for cooking/camping.   Is there anything I need to know?   I’m watching the weather, planning for cold & mild weather.  Do I need to worry about bears?  Tell me what I don’t know. I’m not looking for secrets or your honey hole, but any information is appreciated. I’ll check back a couple of times a day, so if you need more info I’ll give you what I can.

Paul

Edit for stupid title
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 11:07:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I used to hit it regularly.  Sunscreen and chapstick are your friends.
Be ready for any weather, and wind.  Always windy.
Probably a mob scene on weekends, particularly the stretch between spinney and that other reservoir.   Go fish the upper stretches around Hartsel to beat the crowds.   Tomahawk SWA is a good one.   Tons of good fishing around fairplay too.  

This is a good one, less than an hour from Spinney.

Only 4 vehicles allowed in, get there early.  If it is full go on to the Michigan creek drainage.

https://cpw.state.co.us/learn/Maps/TeterMichiganCreekSWA_geo.pdf

Beautiful country for sure, you will have a blast.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 11:47:48 AM EDT
[#2]
My bad, Teeter is the back up area if Cline ranch SWA is full.  Teeter has plenty of access, Cline allows 4 vehicles.  And no dogs at cline.

https://cpw.state.co.us/learn/Maps/ClineRanchSWA_geo.pdf#search=cline%20ranch
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 9:42:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info.  Can I take a bike and get any closer?
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 11:00:12 PM EDT
[#4]
IDK what’s bike friendly.  CPW site will tell you.
I haven’t hit the dream stream in years, but it was full of fish and fishermen back then.   Go to Hartsel and hit that branch. Trust me.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 11:13:00 PM EDT
[#5]
That is actually a great plan if you are camping near the river.  The Denver day trippers will be leaving early enough you could have decent solitude till dark.   I don’t know, but that place has got to get bombed from the front range.

Have you made sure there is not some lottery bs just to fish there?
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 11:29:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, it’s free to fish with an out of state license.  I’ll be there a Monday through Thursday so I am hoping to miss the crowds.  Thanks for the info.  I’m staying at the riverside campground in the national forest.  Is that a safe bet?
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 10:15:30 AM EDT
[#7]
If you are camping near spinney, that is as close as you can camp to the dream stream.   Don’t blow off bank fishing at spinney, there are some huge fish in there.  
I’ve done well in the streams there using hopper and beetle patterns when the time was right.  If you are kicking up hoppers walking thru the grass, that is the right time.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 2:04:44 PM EDT
[#8]
There is a general store right by spinney that had a decent selection of flies.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 12:09:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Loved chasing wilds in CO. I know though that as soon as I leave Missouri I'm leaving bigger fish behind although not native... If you can get over the native requirement you can get into some sea monsters here.

Next world record Brown will either come out of Taneycomo or the White River.  Our new state record last year was 6 oz away from the record and over 40lbs.

I have a 26in 6lb rainbow on the fly rod,  and a 32in 20lb brown on spinning rod at night out of Taneycomo.

One of the best fisheries in the US. White rivers a close 2nd down in Arkansas
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 10:09:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Wow thanks y’all!   I’ll be sharing some photos when I get back.   Anything else you think of would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 11:41:17 PM EDT
[#11]
When are you going? I fish the area quite a bit, but the trout in the dream stream section itself are highly educated, so usually I hit one of the other public waters in the area. The recommendations for Tomahawk SWA are spot on once runoff slows down a bit. Cline Ranch and Michigan Creek SWAs are ok, but I haven't pulled really large trout out of either. I have had pretty good luck at Badger Basin SWA also. If you're going mid summer using a hopper dropper rig there has always gotten me good results.

When I camp out that way usually I just dispersed camp on National Forest or BLM land. South Park is a gorgeous area. Have a great trip!
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 8:55:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TCH2FIX] [#12]
I set up camp tomorrow.  I have reservations in the riverside campground.

@powderhound
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 10:28:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice. I'd definitely stick to the waters below Spinney reservoir as we are right in the middle of runoff right now for all of our freestone streams, but it looks like they're letting Spinney and 11 Mile reservoir fill back up at the moment so streamflows are more reasonable below. I was up there last weekend (but at a little higher elevation) and didn't notice any grass hoppers yet so it may be too early for hopper/dropper rigs which are my favorite come mid summer on the south platte.

If you are happy to catch a bunch of stockers (but good sized ones) and want to get some gorgeous alpine scenery Montgomery reservoir, near Alma, right at the inlet is usually loaded with fish. Then drive up to Hoosier Pass (right there)  and hike around a little.

Good luck and enjoy!
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#14]
So I’m back after a successful, and relaxing trip!   @powderhound I appreciate the tip about Montgomery.  It kept my trip from being a bust.   The wind made fly fishing impossible.   I switch to a spinner rod and did much better.   I do plan to return.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 9:06:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Always liked Montgomery for easy catching.  Beautiful high altitude place too.
Glad you had fun, and the wind is often a factor in South Park, it wasn’t just bad luck.
Next time if the wind is kicking, try the lower sections of the S platte, below lake George.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 9:50:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Sorry I got caught up in stuff when I got home and forgot to post pics.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 10:14:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the photos, looks like a pretty good time. I'm headed up that way the next couple weekends and will probably fish the Middle Fork.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 10:58:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Great pics!  Those tents are the best for truck camps.  Breathable and waterproof, and plenty of room.   I’ve probably got 4 months total in mine.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 7:19:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I thought about a porch setup for mine.   I think next time I’m going to buy a pop out roof tent to cook in.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 7:23:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Mine is just a cheap tarp tied down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top