BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 8/15/2007 2:54:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GlockTiger]
Hi guys,

I'd love to find a source for technical, "eHam like" user reviews of Marine VHF radios (I'm in the market for a handheld). I've seen scattered reviews on various retailer sites, and I know how to compare technical features, but I like the eHam format that really exposes un-obvious pros/cons of products. eHam itself doesn't seem to have a category for Marine VHF.

I've tried a few google/yahoo searches but haven't hit on what I'm seeking yet.

Thanks gang!
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:30:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Grog] [#1]
Not sure offhand as far as reviews.  Amazon and google might turn up something, but I would bet most boaters don't "live" radio as much as some of us do.  In other words, they see a marine band rig like a CB, turn it on and turn a knob.  

One radio that would probably work well is the Standard Horizon HX370S.  It's the marine band version of the Vaesu VX170, so it's waterproof, tough, etc....  It's a marine band HT out of the box, but with software can also work on VHF business and/or ham freqs. It would also "work" on MURS, but I do believe they might require a different type-accepance and the power setting of 5watts would be over the 2watt limit on MURS.  

I'll quote a post I made a few minutes ago on another forum....

Originally Posted By Grog:

One radio that would be cheap and pretty sturdy is the Standard Horizon HX370S.  It's a marine band HT that can be programmed with up to 40 LMR freqs (including the hamband) and is the commerical equivilent of the 170  :ham: radio.  They come with the AA case, the LiIon battery, house and car charger and the drop in base.  This is the 1st place (that I've heard of) in a google search that has them, at $129.99.  I've seen them cheaper on ebay by some dealers.  12 digit alpha tags instead of the 6 on the VX170, and full DCS/CTCSS too.  

The software seems easy enough to use, a lot like /\/\ just without the anal-retentive /\/\ standing over your shoulder....

www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_58950?cm_mmc=froogle-_-200-1-5-_--1-_-38-524-414-00&hvarAID=froogle&mr:trackingCode=14146FB4-C549-DC11-8E88-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:50:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Good question. I asked my boater friend and came up empty on the site she recommended. I guess like Grog said, boaters don't care.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:42:51 PM EDT
[#3]

One radio that would be cheap and pretty sturdy is the Standard Horizon HX370S.

That's exactly the model I was looking at, and for the same reasons you mentioned (the LMR programmability)

The software seems easy enough to use, a lot like /\/\ just without the anal-retentive /\/\ standing over your shoulder....

Interesting -- so you've seen the software? My main question now is how do I (can I?) get the software etc. for programming? I googled myself silly trying to find any hits on LMR programming or mods etc. FWIW I have a prog cable that fits the funky screw-in 4-conductor plug on the VX-6/7 -- wonder if it fits this one? Terminates in a normal serial plug.

I was interested in the MURS aspect too, but I thought about the power situation you mentioned. At least could program 146.520 and some other stuff. Wonder if it'll accept a repeater shift?
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 10:28:54 AM EDT
[#4]
It is just like programming a LMR radio, program the TX freq, program the RX freq, set the RX & TX CTCSS/DCS, and the alphatag.  

I'll shoot you a PM about the other thing.....
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 12:36:10 PM EDT
[#5]
look around herelink

and here

link 2

Pretty much okay with anything from Standard Horizon or Icom.

Link Posted: 8/20/2007 11:35:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, Bubba -- the Continuous Wave site is awesome!

Well, after some research I learned several Standard Horizon (essentially Yaesu) radios come with a hefty assortment of accessories compatible with several Yaesu HT's.

I ordered the HX370S (was attracted to the LMR programmability as mentioned above) and lo and behold, it INCLUDES the following Yaesu accessories common to the VX-150/170 and FT-60 to name a few:

FNB-83 Rechargeable Battery Pack
NC-88B 120 VAC Charger
CD-26 Charger Cradle
FBA-25A Dry cell Battery Pack
These things alone cost over $100 if purchased individually.

Optional accessories with Yaesu commonality:
CMP460 Waterproof Mic -- Same for VX-6/7
E-DC-6 -- DC Cable, Plug and wire only -- works for VX-150/170/6/7/FT-60 and probably more.

So basically, by buying an HX270S / HX370S, you can look at it as buying a bunch of HT accessories and getting a free Marine VHF radio . Anyone who is looking to accessorize their Yaesu HT, check out these Std Horizon handhelds first -- you may get a better deal just buying a marine radio and getting all those accessories included.
Link Posted: 8/21/2007 12:13:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Well duh, that's why I included the link to show what comes with it  

Who did you but it from?  
Link Posted: 8/21/2007 9:15:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Is there any law that would prevent using a modified VX-170 for Marine use?

--Scott
Link Posted: 8/21/2007 9:51:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Grog, bought it from www.marine-radio-store.com.

Originally Posted By ThePrepared_com:
Is there any law that would prevent using a modified VX-170 for Marine use?

--Scott

Yep, can't do that. Most FCC services require type acceptance for that service, and the VX-170 (as well as most Ham radios) doesn't hold such a certification.

You can go the other way though -- i.e. operate type accepted radios on the ham bands (which is what I'll be doing with the HX-370S). People often do that with the commercial /\/\ gear -- have them programmed for ham freqs.
Link Posted: 8/21/2007 3:46:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By GlockTiger:
Grog, bought it from www.marine-radio-store.com.

Cool, never saw that site before.  Might get one now  

People often do that with the commercial /\/\ gear -- have them programmed for ham freqs.

Link Posted: 8/26/2007 11:27:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Update:

So my HX370S arrived Friday. I took it out of town this weekend and charged it. Kept showing low batt every time I thought it should be full (manual says 10 hrs), so charged some more. Kept popping the batt into my VX-170 to get an actual voltage readout, and yep it was low. So today I put it in my VX-170 and ran the poop out of it so I could cycle it all the way down and back up. We'll see tomorrow if it charges to full capacity and is happy. Otherwise I might have to send the puppy back on account of a dud FNB-83, which would be a shame because...

I programmed the thing tonight and it works! So my Marine VHF radio also has all my fav 2m repeaters and simplex freqs in it! A simple antenna swap and I'm hamming. I chatted w/ my friend on 2m simplex til the battery dropped out tonight.

So I hope the batt works out. I know what it's capable of because I've been using my new VX-170 (which takes the batt part number -- FNB-83) on its original charge since Wednesday and finally killed it tonight too. Lots of RX and scanning plus good bit of TX'ing through the week and over the weekend.
Link Posted: 8/27/2007 12:11:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Glad it worked out, never know about the battery.  It could be a dud.  Did you build a programming cable, buy one, or use something else?  
Link Posted: 8/27/2007 1:41:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok, the battery is officially kaput. Charged it for 10 hours last night, brung to work, tried it this morning. Won't even power up (the screen starts spazzing out). Put it in the VX-170 and it reads like 5 volts! So I've got a call in to marine-radio-store.com about my bum FNB-83.

Stinks, cause I just got the HX370S set up the way I like it. Good news is the programming is just one zap away since I saved the config on my computer. So getting a new one up to speed won't be hard.

Grog, I just used a VX-6 cable that came with the ADMS programming package. A friend bought that for me a while back and it works for every HT I own -- VX-6, VX-2, VX-170, and HX370. Now we just need Jim Mitchell to write the free commander software for the VX-170 (currently you have to buy the ADMS package for it -- no  freebies to my knowledge).
Link Posted: 8/27/2007 3:58:45 PM EDT
[#14]
They might just send a new battery and want the old one sent back.  

As far as the 170, there is another software package that AR-Jedi uses.  I would remember what it is, but I have had one hour of sleep since midday yesterday, so I am going back to bed  
Link Posted: 8/27/2007 8:09:52 PM EDT
[#15]

there is another software package that AR-Jedi uses

Perhaps FTB2070?
Link Posted: 8/27/2007 11:23:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Originally Posted By JaxShooter:

Perhaps FTB2070?

After getting a whole four hours of sleep before my current shift, I do say that's the one  
Link Posted: 8/29/2007 9:24:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Update: Marine-radio-store has shipped me a whole new radio (to arrive tomorrow) and issued a UPS call tag to p/u the first one from my front door. So far so good on the service from this retailer.

I've got my programming cable primed and ready to personalize the new one. I realized over the weekend that I overlooked the fact that the 370 doesn't do DSC, but honestly I'd rather have all this LMR capability than DSC anyway. If I'm in a vessel, I hope it's properly equipped with a DSC radio/GPS anyway. I think the 370 will do just fine lashed to my PFD in a sea kayak

BTW, I'm on the Yahoo VX-170 Group, and someone was looking for recommendations on a commercial radio to use on the licensed hang glider commercial VHF freqs -- someone already told him about the HX370S . That's certainly what I'd recommend too -- where else can you get a tough-as-nails submersible commercial radio for under $120 shipped? I think you can actually use the software to disable Marine VHF altogether and only use LMR channels -- dummy proof!
Link Posted: 8/29/2007 8:34:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Update: Marine-radio-store has shipped me a whole new radio (to arrive tomorrow) and issued a UPS call tag to p/u the first one from my front door. So far so good on the service from this retailer.

I'd say that's much better than what you'd get from most (all) ham radio dealers.  They'd make you send it back 1st, so they get an A+ from me  

where else can you get a tough-as-nails submersible commercial radio for under $120 shipped? I think you can actually use the software to disable Marine VHF altogether and only use LMR channels -- dummy proof!

I will get one myself one day, just too tied up with money/family issues right now.  If you see how to disable the marine channels, let me know.  I never played with that part of the software enough to see how.  Being able to lock out some of them would be just as good.  Living somewhat close to the lake, it would still be a good idea for me to keep the major freqs in there.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2007 12:02:59 PM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By JaxShooter:

Perhaps FTB2070?

yes, and +1.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 8/30/2007 12:08:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ar-jedi] [#20]
EDITED as i had the wrong link, thanks GT.

ps:

Standard Horizon HX370S --> Sale price: $107.89
www.marine-radio-store.com/sthohxvhfham1.html

fuggin-A, that's worth it just for the spare batt, charger base, AA holder, and two trickle chargers!!!

like posted above, "FREE RADIO INCLUDED!"

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 8/30/2007 12:13:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Sure 'nuff. And for $10 more you can have the HX370S that I got with the programmable LMR channels .

My replacement one should come on the brown truck today.
Link Posted: 8/30/2007 12:21:45 PM EDT
[#22]

Sure 'nuff. And for $10 more you can have the HX370S that I got with the programmable LMR channels

ooops, i posted the wrong link!

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 8/30/2007 4:14:18 PM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By ar-jedi:
Standard Horizon HX270S --> Sale price: $107.89
www.marine-radio-store.com/sthohxvhfham1.html

fuggin-A, that's worth it just for the spare batt, charger base, AA holder, and two trickle chargers!!!

like posted above, "FREE RADIO INCLUDED!"

ar-jedi

Looks like I have you thinking about a backup to your 170  
Link Posted: 8/30/2007 4:39:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Looks like I have you thinking about a backup to your 170 channelized SHTF radio for my wife, one which just happens to have 100% accessories commonality with my vx170.

slight correction above.  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 8/30/2007 5:22:14 PM EDT
[#25]
As a true SHTF radio, I think the 170 wins because of being able to change the freqs on the fly.  

As a radio to use 95% of the time, I think the 370 would work well for me and lots of other hams involved in various amateur radio groups (RACES/ARES/etc).  As long as 440/220 is not needed, the ability to have a cache of HTs that are programmed with both ham and other freqs could prove useful.  

Say you have a bike-a-thon that you are helping to provide comms for, but you have extra people that are not hams (yet ).   Hand them a 370 with several MURS (or other authorized freqs) and communicate.  

In RACES/ARES/etc our job is to communicate, but it does not always have to be via amateur radio.  Anything that is legal, and gets the job done is a good thing.  

P.S.  If I were still involved in emergency services (former volly fire fighter/medical responder), I'd love to use one radio for everything.   I know, that's why I have /\/ sabers, but even they have their weak points  
Link Posted: 8/31/2007 9:56:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Well the new radio is in and so far it works great. The battery took a full charge last night, so that's a good sign. I improvised a lanyard attachment by putting a loop of single paracord "inner strand" around the belt swivel screw (there's a small port on the bottom where small string can pass thru). Then I just tied a lanyard using one of the many ubertactical paracord knot techniques and cow-hitched it to the tiny thread. Did this on both the 170 and 370.

Ready for a weekend of sea kayaking!
Link Posted: 8/31/2007 10:38:54 AM EDT
[#27]

Well the new radio is in and so far it works great.

GT,
can you elaborate on how the radio handles memories for the LMR frequencies?  

in other words, the radio is initially set up for marine use; for example, memory location 16 corresponds to 156.800MHz, the VHF distress calling frequency.  and similarly, memory location 22 corresponds to 157.100MHZ, the coast guard working frequency.  

using the prgramming SW, do you/can you reassign all of the memories or do you "work around" the marine frequencies which are already programmed?

thanks,
ar-jedi

Link Posted: 8/31/2007 3:16:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Grog] [#28]
Well I picked up two today at the Shelby NC hamfest.  They were used, but in very good shape.  I got two radios (with antennas & NimH batteries), two charger bases, and one wallwart.  

He was asking for $50, and I was too lazy to drive him to $40  
Link Posted: 9/2/2007 2:20:27 PM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By ar-jedi:
GT,
can you elaborate on how the radio handles memories for the LMR frequencies?  
SNIP
using the prgramming SW, do you/can you reassign all of the memories or do you "work around" the marine frequencies which are already programmed?
thanks,
ar-jedi

Hey guys, sorry -- been at the beach for LD. Still here -- torrential rains too. Hope we can get off the island tomorrow!

Jedi, it's super simple and well integrated. Basically when you prog in the LMR channels you want, they're just added to the master list. You don't lose any Marine freqs at all. There's no band switching, you just scroll with the up/down keys to the LMR's you add. So if I'm on Marine 16, I just scroll down below Marine 1 and my highest LMR appears. You can also treat them the same as Marine in terms of presets and memory channels. I added a MURS channel to my Marine / WX scans and presets today.

You can alter lots of things about the actual Marine presets too, if you want. Eg some Marine channels have TX disabled by default...also some are configured as "A" channels (meaning they're Simplex in the US and half duplex in other areas) and you could change these attributes.

I'm pretty sure that you can disable all the Marine channels if you wanted to set the radio up strictly as LMR or Ham. They wouldn't even be in your scroll list.

Grog, great score on the 370's! That's really nice. Thanks for your other message too -- will respond when back on my home system.

HPI LD, all.
Link Posted: 9/2/2007 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Man, you and AR-Jedi are both having fun all weekend.  Maybe I'm in the wrong line of work?  
Link Posted: 9/2/2007 4:57:32 PM EDT
[#31]
I've been working on a "codeplug" for mine, and it looks like I'll be able to disable most of the marine channels.  I'm just keeping 13, 16, 21, 22, and 23.  Used to use/listen to those when I was at the beach running calls for the FD.

I wanted to test the RX on my used radio, and it's outstanding!!!  Hickory NC fire operates on 156.225 (ch 64A) and I had the 370 next to my /\/\ Saber II and my Icom T2H.   There was a plane in distress, so I got to hear a lot of comms and the 370 easily matched the Saber in clarity at high volume as well as RX sensitivity.  It's realaly a good rig, should have picked up one earlier  
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 5:13:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Just a note, but I finally had to charge one of the radios (after running it down by listening to the NWS for 8 hours ) and I noticed that the drop in chaarger that comes with the radio WILL change the battery by itself.  

So, if you are a VX170/177 or FT60 user, you can use the spare battery, AA case, and drop in charger and send the radio to me  

Ok, maybe not, but it is good to know you can charge the battery in place without needing to be attached to the radio, many chargers won't do that.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 11:06:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Darn tootin'. Just one more way this design is nearly commercial quality. Uncommon trait for ham HT's as you said.
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 5:02:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Darn tootin'. Just one more way this design is nearly commercial quality. Uncommon trait for ham HT's as you said.

That's because it's not a ham radio, this one will survive  

And it's actually tougher than a lot of commerical radios out there.  Heck, it's tougher than some HTs I used in my fire dept days.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 1:47:26 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm trying to understand which software pkg is needed for this radio.  Will the same SW pkg work on other Yaesu radios?

The radio sounds like a tremendous deal!
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 3:41:37 PM EDT
[#36]
The software is CE68, just for the HX270/370S radios.  Not for any other ham/marine/business rigs.  Not the easiest to find, I had one dealer say he was not allowed to sell it, but he would program the radios for $40 each  

I would say it would be less than $70 for the software, probably much less.  Sometimes Vertex/MaCom/Kenwood/etc actually sends it out for free.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 4:55:10 PM EDT
[#37]

The software is CE68, just for the HX270/370S radios.  Not for any other ham/marine/business rigs.  Not the easiest to find, I had one dealer say he was not allowed to sell it, but he would program the radios for $40 each  

I would say it would be less than $70 for the software, probably much less.  Sometimes Vertex/MaCom/Kenwood/etc actually sends it out for free.  

Grog, I found the programming cable w/ a G search but can't find the SW. Any suggestions who might sell it?
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 5:48:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Check your PMs..
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 1:09:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Would this radio be good for a beginner or will this reprograming blow my mind ?

Would it be best to just buy a VX-170?
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 9:05:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Grog] [#40]

Originally Posted By liquidsunshine:
Would this radio be good for a beginner or will this reprograming blow my mind ?

Would it be best to just buy a VX-170?

Are you a ham?  

Do you need to use business or marine freqs?

If I was getting my first ham HT, I'd probably get teh VX170 just so I could play with all the other things it can do (ham stuff), but the HX370 would be very simple to operate once programmed.  The drawback is if you needed to go to another freq that's not programmed, you'd not be able to switch without reprogramming.   The VX170 has a VFO, so you can switch to a new freq as needed.  

Edit.....

You'd need the cable to program, and the software (which can be found ) abd you do get more options with the HX370.  That being said, if you don't have any need for business/marine TX, and you don't have another (modern) HT, the 170 would be a good choice for a 2meter only HT.  

Any questions, feel free to ask....
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 12:15:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Not a ham yet, but want the most freqs and versatillity I can get.

The price on the 370 is pretty amazing. That's what has me tempted.
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 1:31:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Ok, here's some late night Jedi bait ...

So I was goofing around the FCC's ID search site reading all the abysmal power ratings of the bubble pack radios and decided to look up the HX370S. So it lists the PEP as 1 watt (low) and 5 watts (high) as I would expect. However I wanna know what ERP they measured with the stock rubber duck (in the 156 MHz range, which covers Marine and MURS).

Techies: Can you help me ascertain the ERP in Watts from the table on page 17 of the HX370's FCC Testing Documents?

b) Raise and lower the test antenna from 1m to 6 m with the transmitter facing the antenna and record the highest received signal in dB as LVL.
c) Repeat step b) for seven additional readings at 45° interval positions of the turntable.
d) Replace the transmitter under test with a half-wave or horn vertically polarized antenna. The center of the antenna should be at the same location as the transmitter under test. Connect the antenna to a signal generator with a known output power and record the path loss in dB or LOSS.
e) Calculate the average radiated output power from the readings in step c) and d) by the following:

average radiated power = 10 log10 Σ 10(LVL – LOSS)/10 (dBm)

Here is what I think is the pertinent info:
137 MHz           156 MHz           174 MHz

Path loss, db:
0.30                    3.30                 1.30

Av. Radiated Power:
29.61 dbm       32.31 dbm        30.84 dbm

From the looks of it, the rubber duck is contributing to 3.3 dbm of loss, meaning 5 watts in is getting cut by 3.3 dbm, right? Since 3db loss usually means power is cut in half, does that make my ERP slightly less than 2.5 watts?

Ok, the rest of this is a result of creative Googling, b/c I don't know this math.

dB = 10 log (P1/P2)

This snipped from Cisco's website

dBm—The dB value is compared to 1 mW.
dBw—The dB value is compared to 1 W.

You can calculate the power in dBs from this formula:

Power (in dB) = 10 * log10 (Signal/Reference)

This list defines the terms in the formula:
log10 is logarithm base 10.
Signal is the power of the signal (for example, 50 mW).
Reference is the reference power (for example, 1 mW).

I'm thinking since the FCC data document lists in dbm, my reference (i.e. P2 in my formula) is 1 milliwatt. So I'm getting this equation (and then getting stuck):
3.3dbm = 10 * log10 (x/1)

So despite my A for effort and maybe a C+ for resourcefulness, I'm coming up short figuring this out mathematically. So I beg the number crunching aid of the hive mind.
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 6:48:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ar-jedi] [#43]

Ok, here's some late night Jedi bait ...

sorry for the one day delay.  
the bait is no longer fresh.  
replace with a new cookie please.

ar-jedi  

ps:

So I was goofing around the FCC's ID search site

you were what?!?!?!?!  

So it lists the PEP as 1 watt (low) and 5 watts (high) as I would expect. However I wanna know what ERP they measured with the stock rubber duck (in the 156 MHz range, which covers Marine and MURS).

very well.

Techies: Can you help me ascertain the ERP in Watts from the table on page 17 of the HX370's FCC Testing Documents?

you did a hell of a lot of typing...

but... here is exactly what you are looking for:

Av. Radiated Power:
29.61 dbm       32.31 dbm        30.84 dbm

above is everything you need to know, it's just in the wrong units.

as you figured out via google, dB(x) is simply a measurement relative to (x).  typically, related to radio appliances, you will see (x) as "m" (milliwatt), W (watt), uv or u (microvolt), and sometimes mv (millivolt).

in one's head, one translates "dBm" to mean "dB's referenced to a milliwatt".  always remember that dB is a relative value -- question should always be "relative to what?" if it is not explicitly stated.  

for example, an antenna manufacturer might say "this is a 6dB gain antenna."  your question should be "6dB relative to what?".  their answer might be "oh, we mean 6dBd, or 6dB relative to a dipole".  or it might be "oh, we mean 6dBi, or 6db relative to an isotropic point source".  note that 0dBd = 2.15dBi.  hence, antenna vendors almost always state the dBi value, since it is a higher value it looks "better" on a glossy advertising sheet.

to convert between dBm and watts, use
dBm = (10Log10(milliwatts))
or
Watts = 10((dBm - 30)/10)

0dBm = 1mW
3dBm = 2mW
6dBm = 4mW
10dBm = 10mW
20dBm = 100mW = 0.1W
30dBm = 1000mW = 1W
33dBm = 2000mW = 2W
36dBm = 4000mW = 4W
and so on.

ergo, every added 3dB doubles the power.

whipping out the calculator and applying the conversion to the FCC's HX370's values...
29.61 dBm = 914mW, or .914W
32.31 dBm = 1702mW, or 1.702W
30.84 dBm = 1213mW, or 1.213W.

ar-jedi

ps:
homework assignment:
(1) what is the power output, in dBm, of a 50W transmitter?
(2) what is the power output, in W, of a 50dBm transmitter?
(3) what is the power output, in dBW, of a 1mW transmitter?
(4) a 5W transmitter feeds a 6dB antenna.  what is the ERP?
(5) a 10dBm transmitter feeds a 3dB antenna.  what is the ERP?

ps#2
note the computational ease of 5 versus 4.
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 2:09:50 AM EDT
[#44]

i purchased an HX370S (via the link provided earlier in this thread) and received it on thursday.  i got around to programming it and operating it this evening.  for the money, you get a very good LMR package -- the kit includes the radio, NiMH battery pack, antenna, charging stand, cigar lighter car charger, wall charger, and a 6xAA battery case.  the accessories are 100% compatible with the VX170, for example, the VX170 drops into the charging stand just fine.  the commonality with my VX170 was a key buying point for me -- i could employ the same programming cable, and the batteries etc would interchange.  

the HX370S comes pre-programmed for marine channels, but using Yaesu SW and a level conversion cable the radio can be reprogrammed for use on other frequencies -- this is the LMR (land mobile radio) capabilities advertised in the ad linked to on the previous page in this thread.  in addition, the built-in marine channels can be masked off as desired.  

after backing up the OEM factory configuration, i reprogrammed the radio for the MURS frequencies, my local 2M repeaters, and also simplex 2M frequencies.  btw, the repeater frequencies have CTCSS/PL enabled as well.  i also disabled (masked) many marine channels, leaving only 9, 16, 22, and 68 active.  these correspond to the marine calling channel, USCG distress channel, USCG working channel, and recreational ship-to-ship, respectively.  i live on the water, and for casual or SHTF use these are about all the marine channels you'll ever need to deal with.  i left the preprogrammed weather (WX) channels in place; these do not occupy user memory locations so there is no downside.  

the result is that i have about 20 channels available to the user -- 16 of which are LMR channels out of a total of 40 available LMR channels.  so there are a lot of unused LMR channels should i want to add on.  

the now-programmed HX370S radio brings up not only my local 2M repeater but also the repeater near work, nearly 30 miles away.  i had QSO's on both machines with reports of good signal and good audio quality.  since the internals to this radio are likely remarkably similar to the VX170 and Vertex's other commercial use gear, i wasn't expecting anything less.  

once programmed, user operation is simple -- this was an essential element as this will be a radio for my wife or other non-ham to use during SHTF.  in fact, by depressing the H/L key for one second, the front panel keys are disabled and thus the radio configuration (channel setting, etc) can't be inadvertently screwed up by the user.  knowing this, you can set up the radio, lock the config, and hand it to someone with confidence that they won't accidentally change the channel etc.  

so far, the single downside that i have found is that the radio lacks an external DC input.  however, making up for this is that the charging base accepts the same Yaesu 12Vdc power plug found on the VX6R, VX170, and so on.  hence, my homemade charging cables (with powerpoles etc) work just fine with the charging base.  i have also been looking for a clever way to modify the supplied 6xAA case so that power could be directly brought into the radio through there.  doing this without compromising water ingress integrity is the goal.  i have another 6xAA case which i bought with my VX170, so drilling into the new 6xAA case isn't an issue.  

summary:
based on admittedly short usage experience, the HX370S is a good value for a LMR-programmable VHF-only HT.  

on the plus side --> the HX370S has a lot of accessory commonality with the VX170.  the radio itself is packaged in tough housing, and is watertight.  the supplied antenna is both flexible and seemingly very efficient.  reprogramming the HX370S  for MURS and other LMR frequencies is a breeze.  the weather channels come in handy, and support NOAA weather alert.  all needed accessories come with the radio kit.

on the minus side --> it is not a true frequency-agile 2M radio like the VX170; a PC and cable are required to reprogram channels.  there is no provision for direct to radio 12Vdc power; the charging base is required to replenish the battery.

ps:
a thanks to the SF Ham community for finding this HX370S deal.  it truly is a remarkable setup for the price.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 9/15/2007 8:08:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Grog] [#45]
Great review, much better than I could write  

I am rewriting the file for the two used ones I picked up, but so far, so good.  A local county uses narrowband modulation on their preivous wideband freq (155.235) so it was good to hear the loud audio coming out of this radio, with it programmed properly.  Since mine were used, they did not come with any attachments for belt carry, but a found out a case for a Kenwood TK280 (I think) works rather well.  If I can confirm the size, it'll be good to know for those who need a duty-ready case.  

The scrolling alphatag is useful, but I set most as follows.  
R-145.350, then the next setting would be simplex of that, programmed as...
SIM-145.350

That way I don't have to wait for it to scroll all the way to see what it is.  Just in case, I also have all the repeaters programmed as such (repeater 1st, then simplex of same).  

There are certain letters/numbers that can be entered in the CH display field, I'll post them this afternoon as I left my list at work.  Some uppercase, some lowercase.  Luckilly, "LF" can be entered, so my local stuff is entered as....

LFd for Fire dispatch
LF2 for fire Tac 1
LF2 for fire Tac 2
LF3 for fire Tac 3
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 10:09:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Very good posts here in all respects.
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 10:20:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Ref the ability to use 12VDC directly into the 370, is there a schematic available to compare power condx ckty with the VX170?
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 11:27:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Besides all the extra accessories what would be the advantage of a 370 over the 170?

I may order one for the accessories alone but am curious if there are any advantages to this radio?
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 11:36:36 PM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By EXPY37:
Ref the ability to use 12VDC directly into the 370, is there a schematic available to compare power condx ckty with the VX170?

i have not seen a schematic for this radio.

my thinking was that i would use the 6xAA battery pack as a proxy; the only available way to get power into the HX370S is via the battery input contacts which can be seen on the back of the radio with the battery pack removed.  so my idea was to wire up the empty 6xAA battery pack to an external 12Vdc source such that once in place, the contacts on the 6xAA pack would carry current from the wire to the radio.  if any RF filtering etc is needed, it can be done in the ample space internal to the 6xAA battery pack.  

my only question is whether the circuitry behind the radio's battery contacts can accomodate a 12Vdc input.  the stock NiMH battery is 7.2Vdc, and the 6xAA pack puts out the same (6x1.2=7.2Vdc).   so i'm not sure that a direct 12Vdc can be used.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 9/15/2007 11:50:34 PM EDT
[#50]

Originally Posted By ThePrepared_com:
Besides all the extra accessories what would be the advantage of a 370 over the 170? I may order one for the accessories alone but am curious if there are any advantages to this radio?

the HX370S is a type-certified channelized land mobile radio which may be legally used on MURS, marine, LMR, and amateur frequencies.  it also has a few handy features, e.g. NOAA WX alert.  the HX370S can not be field programmed by the operator; should a new frequency be needed for whatever reason, the radio must be connected to a PC and reprogrammed.  because of the channelized mode of operation, the HX370S is simple to operate -- turn radio on, press the up/down arrow buttons to select a pre-programmed channel, depress the PTT button, and speak.  release the PTT button to listen.  the HX370S has a single mode of operation: memory.  there is no VFO mode.

the VX170 is a non-type-certified frequency-agile amateur radio which may only be legally used on amateur frequencies in the 2M band (144-148MHz).  it has many handy features.  the VX170 can be operator-tuned in the field to RX on any frequency in the 137-174MHz range, and can be operator-tuned in the field to TX on any frequency in the 144-148MHz range.  while pre- or re-programming the VX170 with an PC is a time saver, especially with lots of memory assignments, it is by no means necessary.  every function of the radio can be set/reset using the front panel, including operating frequency and memory channel assignments.  the VX170 has two modes of operation, memory and VFO.

what didn't i cover in my review above that has you wondering?

ar-jedi
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Top Top