Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2022 11:34:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: diversmith]
I've had our two boys shooting and learning gun safety since they both turned 4 years old.  In the past year, I've been taking them coyote hunting with me numerous times to show them the ropes, and to teach them strategy and the do's & don'ts.  During a few different outings I've called in a triple, a double, a single, and another goose egg.  

Awhile back I finished building a Larue upper kit I've had sitting in a box to be tailored to an 11 year old for yote hunting.  It's a 12" barrel that I outfitted with an Aimpoint PRO, one of my suppressors, sling attachments and a QD Swagger bipod.  Slapped it on one of my SBR lowers and got him shooting it on a coyote cardboard target for practice.  Even with the suppressor, it slings up nice for him and he can carry it around with ease.  The Swagger QD bipod is great since it is directly mounted and he doesn't have to worry about the rifle sliding off of regular shooting sticks.  One less thing for him to manage.

Lo and behold, the first time out with him to hunt I called in a double and he took the first shot at about 75 yards. I first thought he just missed it and the yote that was facing to the right spun and took off to the left.  I was ready to go with my rifle so I took a shot and dropped it.  I looked to the second dog for a shot but it hadn't come in as close and had already hit the ACME rockets and was pretty far out there.  After we got down to the yote I realized that there were exit wounds on each side so my Son had actually made the first hit!  He was stoked!

Here is a pic of him and a pic of the Swagger bipod that I highly recommend. HAPPY HUNTING!
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 12:10:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Excellent!
That coyote looks very healthy, well fed
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 12:15:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tejas1836:
Excellent!
That coyote looks very healthy, well fed
View Quote

yes he did.  Had really nice teeth and fur.  He looked like a younger male from born 2 seasons ago if I'm not mistaken.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 2:57:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Congrats, that's a nice one!

Link Posted: 12/29/2022 6:50:01 AM EDT
[#4]
That is a fathering done right! Good on you OP! My daughter got her first yote when she was 12 and first hog at 15. At 17, she is doing more stuff with her mom but said she would like to go with me on the next yote hunt. I pity her boyfriend, lol.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 8:53:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Congrats!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top