Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2024 11:40:02 AM EDT
I'm installing a 3200 watt grid tie 48v system with a sol ark hybrid inverter to my home, I've got the contractor picked out, etc. but for battery backup I'm a bit torn between gel or lithium.
Besides discharge and cycle advantages (far more useful I'd think for strictly off grid) is there any advantages that justify the price of lithium for what will be essentially a backup system?
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 12:23:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Lifepo4 gives you 100% discharge, so 100ah is 100ah, not 50ah then suffering damage.   Also cycles are important.  If the gel is good for 500 and the lifepo4 is good for 2000, but the Li is only 3x the cost, then you're ahead with the money up front on replacements.   Also factor in replacement logistics.  If you're in town with next day amazon, no big deal.  If you're off grid on an AK island, ship once cry once.  

I'm running Lifepo4 in my setup, which are all experimental, but getting used daily.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 1:39:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By phlat:
Lifepo4 gives you 100% discharge, so 100ah is 100ah, not 50ah then suffering damage.   Also cycles are important.  If the gel is good for 500 and the lifepo4 is good for 2000, but the Li is only 3x the cost, then you're ahead with the money up front on replacements.   Also factor in replacement logistics.  If you're in town with next day amazon, no big deal.  If you're off grid on an AK island, ship once cry once.  

I'm running Lifepo4 in my setup, which are all experimental, but getting used daily.  
View Quote

Are you using these off grid?
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 10:07:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3n1gm4] [#3]
My brother has been living off of 3 200ah batteries and a generator for almost 2 years now (power companies are sloooow)

Daily use powered by 6 100w panels, he's had 0 issues with them so far and we're planning on moving them to greenhouse / barn duty after power is setup and running.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 10:13:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By ihavesuperpowers:

Are you using these off grid?
View Quote
Yes, with exception that they are in climate controlled area.  Using them to run my computer desk/radios/projects.    Few weeks ago I had one on the roof of a hospital for an experiment.    It is in no way a permanent setup and I can mix/match power sources to loads.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 9:59:50 PM EDT
[#5]
That's a bit of the issue I'm dealing with, constantly drawing and charging from the battery, lithium, no contest. For my uses, occasional power outage from ice storms or bad storms that come thru Oklahoma (I live fairly close to twister alley), I'm not sure if cycle rate or more power storage makes more sense.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 10:05:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By phlat:

View Quote
This. I would go LiFePO4. Cycles and higher discharge rate make them worth it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 1:45:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Anybody recommend a batttery supplier?
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 1:55:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought mine from Signature Solar
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 4:43:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I have 12 of these no complaints. SOK 48V 100Ah PRO Server Rack Battery – User Serviceable

Battery
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 3:57:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Relion powers my boat.

3100W, Victron Multiplus2, 8 victron battery controllers, 5x 300 AH Relion LIPO.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 7:25:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Have 2 of theses on my off grid cabin and have been pleased

Attachment Attached File

Litime
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:13:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Slickbaby] [#12]
Been looking at this one:

48v 280ah lifepo4

Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:32:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Slickbaby:

48v 280ah lifepo4

View Quote
I'm probably going to pick up a couple of those soon.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:41:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Slickbaby:

48v 280ah lifepo4

Tons of great options coming out in the battery dept.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:30:26 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

I've looked into these and my thoughts are, if it goes it goes.
I believe I'd rather have multiple batteries, knowing I could loose several and still be operating. Could be something I'm missing though.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 1:49:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jodan1776] [#16]
I've lived 35 years off-grid on a completely self-designed and self-installed system, so I do know a thing or two about all of it.

Your best bang for the buck is Trojan T-105 6v golf cart batteries.   They, like all batteries, have gone up a lot in price over the last few years, but they are still the best value over time.   They weigh 62 pounds, so they are manageable, as compared to larger batteries.     I've never used AGM batteries, but they cost nearly double the T-105s.   My knowledge on this is current, as in a couple days I am picking up a new set of batteries.   The best price I found in NH is $175 each.   They typically last 7-10 years if well taken care of.

Lithium batteries are incredibly expensive, and they are a huge fire hazard.    If they catch fire, your house, and everything in it, is history.  Nobody's putting that fire out.    If lithium, better store them in their own building (preferably a solid concrete, fireproof one) away from your house.

Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:18:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quck question for you pro's. I have an interlock kit installed, switch over on the breaker box. I'm not concerned to selling back to the grid, they don't pay much anyway. Should I just do a offgrid setup, connecting to the interlock side?
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:33:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Jodan1776:
I've lived 35 years off-grid on a completely self-designed and self-installed system, so I do know a thing or two about all of it.

Your best bang for the buck is Trojan T-105 6v golf cart batteries.   They, like all batteries, have gone up a lot in price over the last few years, but they are still the best value over time.   They weigh 62 pounds, so they are manageable, as compared to larger batteries.     I've never used AGM batteries, but they cost nearly double the T-105s.   My knowledge on this is current, as in a couple days I am picking up a new set of batteries.   The best price I found in NH is $175 each.   They typically last 7-10 years if well taken care of.

Lithium batteries are incredibly expensive, and they are a huge fire hazard.    If they catch fire, your house, and everything in it, is history.  Nobody's putting that fire out.    If lithium, better store them in their own building (preferably a solid concrete, fireproof one) away from your house.
https://i.imgur.com/yJ9Rzeb.jpg
View Quote

How many cycles/depletion % are you getting off those during that time span?
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:52:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I would head straight to the Current Connected website and get the SOK 48 volt server rack batteries. I’m full time in a 5th camper with 2 x 206ah SOK batteries.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 6:42:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 6:53:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By ihavesuperpowers:
Quck question for you pro's. I have an interlock kit installed, switch over on the breaker box. I'm not concerned to selling back to the grid, they don't pay much anyway. Should I just do a offgrid setup, connecting to the interlock side?
View Quote
If you are interconnecting to PSO, you better make sure that there are approved cutoff switches to pull from the batteries and not from the grid.

I know at one point they were requiring specialized inverters if you were going to connect to the grid and have the option to isolate off-grid. Most people who install solar panels are not aware that if there is no grid power, there is still no home power regardless of your panel output.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 8:02:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By NoHarmNoFAL:
If you are interconnecting to PSO, you better make sure that there are approved cutoff switches to pull from the batteries and not from the grid.

I know at one point they were requiring specialized inverters if you were going to connect to the grid and have the option to isolate off-grid. Most people who install solar panels are not aware that if there is no grid power, there is still no home power regardless of your panel output.
View Quote

Going off grid, talked to a local installer/electrician and the process to get grid tied approval can be a huge pain in the ass. Ordered panels, 20x305 watt half cell. Deciding between battery and inverter now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top