Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2023 5:15:54 PM EDT
Howdy,

Growing up, my family had a pop-up and a travel trailer. I've towed a lot of different trailers in my time, so I'm familiar with that.

We're looking at getting a new truck- F350 with an 8' bed, and that opens up the option of an in-bed truck camper. I've been running some numbers, and I don't think the kids, wife, and I will have any trouble staying within weight restrictions. Currently, we tent camp, and have things pared down well. I'm looking for something that will require less setup time as well as be more comfortable for them in cooler weather. We're not the type to stay in an RV all day; I think of it more like a base camp. What I like about a truck camper is that one is not adding more wheels in contact with the pavement/trail, and the vehicle's footprint stays the same. Accounting for the extra mass, height, and change in balance, the camper can go where the truck goes.

So, spill the good, bad, and ugly with truck campers.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 6:31:42 PM EDT
[#1]
We went with a Scout Kenai for reasons similar to yours. Not dragging a trailer down some of the rough roads we like to take to our camp sites amd it's more of a basecamp than a home away from home. For our purposes it works well but there are only two adults plus our German Shepard and a lap dog.
Ours has a cassette toilet but no separate bathroom.
There isn't much room to pass one another without someone sitting down.

Not sure what else there is to tell. Ours is a minimalist camper so there isn't much to winterize it. Just make sure the water jugs are empty. The toilet takes the longest to drain but it's no big deal.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 9:53:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Have had several trucks campers over the years. Each time I've said NEVER again. Sold the last one and gave wife permission to hit me in the head with a bat if I ever even think about that again.

Biggest problem is lack of floor space. Having to do the dance of who's sitting or on the bed so the other can get dressed or cook, whatever. Take the camper on, then off, back on what a pain in the a--. Take a shower or use the bathroom, LOL.

Don't get a soft side that's a whole different level of misery. Especially if it rains and you have to move. Just use the tent as everything is wet. No stealth camping with the top up. Nearly impossible to heat or cool.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 10:34:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Good info, and nice to see opposing views.

I'm definitely not doing a pop-up or anything like that. The pop-up trailer we had served us well for years, but that was a lot of work. I'll tolerate one slide out, but that's that. I'm the type to delete the TV.

I'm looking at a Northwoods Arctic Fox, which seems to be well-regarded. I know I went through a couple Northwoods when I was waiting for my truck bed cap to get installed a few years back.

The lack of floor space I can see being an issue, but primarily as far as the dogs being in the way. I actually feel like the forced conflict/cooperation of close living could be a good thing for the kids to adapt to. And, if I need to throw a kid or two out in a tent, I'll do it. Adhering to weight limits would put a cap on the amount of shit the wife and kids might try to bring along. I'm a minimalist and thrive on neglect, so I can get by with little just fine.

Not having to title another vehicle is another plus.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 10:55:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I can't speak for the larger campers but loading and unlaoding ours is easy. Takes about half an hour if I'm taking my sweet time (my wife packs last minute so the slower I am the less time I have to sit around waiting for her to get ready) and working all the jacks manually.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 11:21:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HawkCreek:
I can't speak for the larger campers but loading and unlaoding ours is easy. Takes about half an hour if I'm taking my sweet time (my wife packs last minute so the slower I am the less time I have to sit around waiting for her to get ready) and working all the jacks manually.
View Quote

That's not bad at all. When out and about, I'd likely just leave it loaded on the truck, but having the option to dismount the camper is nice.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:32:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I wish I could have my 2000 Lance overhead camper back in new condition. I loved it. We had it on a 1992 F350 7.3 diesel pickup, and it needed every bit of that truck. It was an 11.5 ft. camper, at the time the biggest Lance made. It had 3 feet of overhang past the bumper. Was fully loaded. With no help I could have it loaded on the truck and ready to drive away in about twenty minutes usually. What I really liked about it was the ability to take the camper off the truck and use it. Some of the cheaper ones you can't do that without extra support under the camper. A couple of times on trips we got caught in bad traffic jams because of accidents. It was pretty neat to be able to find a place to pull off the road, fire up the generator, turn on the AC and take a nap while the traffic cleared up. It was also easy to fire up the AC for the dogs while we were shopping or eating or doing whatever on a trip.
The truck did need air bags to support the camper and make the truck drive good. But, as long as the air bags were properly aired up it was no problem doing 65 mph on good roads. Really never did any true off roading so I can't make any comments in that regard.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 5:50:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Wonderful testimony.

I'll look into the specifics more, but Ford does offer a trailer camper package for the 350. Otherwise beefing up the rear suspension isn't terribly difficult.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 3:12:45 PM EDT
[#8]
They are notoriously heavier than what they say they weigh.

Not much room especially if the whole family is in the camper on a rainy day.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 3:45:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eviioiive] [#9]
Have a slide in popup and love it. Go down any road, park anywhere, fits any camping spot, stores in a standard height garage, minimal weight.

Eta - heats well(mt)
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 3:55:53 PM EDT
[#10]
My grandfather had an 8' cab over alaskan camper, and I am sort of looking for one now. I travel a bit solo so the lack of space and a cassette crapper in a cabinet is not a huge deal. His alaskan was probably a 1960s model seemed to survive into the late 80s just fine, never leaked when i went deer hunting with him, etc.. but he did leave it in the garage when not on the truck.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 8:35:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Kubota3430:

View Quote

I forgot to say that I never weighed my Lance, but I'm pretty sure it was a little over 4000 lbs. loaded with everything. It was heavy! Also I had a class five hitch put on the truck because of the 3 foot overhang, then got a 3 foot extension and got a carryall(?) to haul firewood on.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 8:37:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Kubota3430:

View Quote

I forgot to say that I never weighed my Lance, but I'm pretty sure it was a little over 4000 lbs. loaded with everything. If I remember right it was about 3300ibs. dry weight.  It was heavy! Also I had a class five hitch put on the truck because of the 3 foot overhang, then got a 3 foot extension and got a carryall(?) to haul firewood on.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:33:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm looking at about 5100 lbs. wet weight.

I think a single rear wheel axle F350 will accommodate that, plus passengers and some additional gear. If I'm wrong, this is the time I'd like to find out.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 4:22:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By lew:
I'm looking at about 5100 lbs. wet weight.

I think a single rear wheel axle F350 will accommodate that, plus passengers and some additional gear. If I'm wrong, this is the time I'd like to find out.
View Quote

I don't want to sound like a know-it-all or like a smart guy, but I would not have even considered hauling my Lance on a single rear wheel pickup, even it was an F350. It isn't only the weight, but also the stability, especially in a crosswind. Maybe someone else has a different experience, that is just me. I had at one time even thought about getting an F450 with a flatbed and putting toolboxes down the side of the bed for extra storage space. If you haven't already, find some camping forums on google (Yes, I know), some of them have a lot of good info. It's been a long time since I have been on any so I really don't have any recommendations. It sounds like you are doing your homework ahead of time so you are already ahead of a lot of people that are new to campers.
Something else to think about is you don't have any trailer brakes to help you stop. I don't remember ever having any problems, but I always took it easy on a steep downgrade. I always tried to remember that it was better to slow down and get to the destination than to try to go too fast and not get there at all. Now you have me thinking about selling my travel trailer and finding a way to get another truck camper....thanks!
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 4:29:55 PM EDT
[#15]
No experience owning them but I've had customers that have had them. Almost all of them were just two adults. For two people they seemed fine. For the actual "families" they all ended up going to an actual tow behind camper for numerous reasons. Size being the biggest. Dollar for dollar you just get more floor space with a tow behind. Loading and unloading was another one. I'm sure it's way easier now but still can be a pain getting the slide in off the truck.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 9:49:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Crash1433:
No experience owning them but I've had customers that have had them. Almost all of them were just two adults. For two people they seemed fine. For the actual "families" they all ended up going to an actual tow behind camper for numerous reasons. Size being the biggest. Dollar for dollar you just get more floor space with a tow behind. Loading and unloading was another one. I'm sure it's way easier now but still can be a pain getting the slide in off the truck.
View Quote

On a heavy overhead camper electric jacks are a must, as far as I am concerned. They take the hard work out of loading and unloading them off the truck.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:00:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: savage1971] [#17]
5k on a srw is a disaster waiting to happen. You will be exhausted driving it because the death grip on the wheel. My lance 850 wet, is around 3500lbs, much heavier than listed weight of 2100lbs dry. None of the options are added into the dry weights, usually including the slide itself if it has one and is optional. But solor, microwave, tv, etc, etc all add up really quick. My 2500 in stock trim was a white knuckle ride, 2 hands on the wheel and was not fun. I installed 2400lb springs instead of the stock 1600lbs springs and now it is a 2 finger on the steering wheel drive, but now the limitation is your tires. A standard 121 rated tire ( a typical "e") is around 3k-3500lbs depending on size and make. That doesnt leave much wiggle room. I did not want to upgrade to 19.5 so I found a 123 rated tire which is good for 3750.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 2:44:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lew] [#18]
This is why I asked this now. I do a lot of offroad travel and dualies are a fuckin' disaster on two track. Even on the highway, hitting twice as many bumps is just a gas. No way I'm going with one.

I'll look for another, lighter truck camper. If that doesn't pan out, an off road-oriented tow behind I've already specced out as my fallback (slowly coming to #1 choice). Plus, I'll have eight feet of bed space for more crap haulage.

Y'all have been tremendously helpful.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:46:27 PM EDT
[#19]
They make campers for SRW trucks, shoot, they make them for F250's and short bed trucks. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:57:27 PM EDT
[#20]
This is why I asked this now. I do a lot of offroad travel and dualies are a fuckin' disaster on two track. Even on the highway, hitting twice as many bumps is just a gas. No way I'm going with one.

I'll look for another, lighter truck camper. If that doesn't pan out, an off road-oriented tow behind I've already specced out as my fallback (slowly coming to #1 choice). Plus, I'll have eight feet of bed space for more crap haulage.

Y'all have been tremendously helpful.
View Quote
If its just you and the wife in the camper, the lance 850 is perfect. Throw the kids in a tent and make them stay outside. If it is raining and there is more than 2 in the camper, it is miserable. but for 2, it is the perfect size. Not too big not horribly small, yes, you are inconvenienced in some things, bathroom is tight, shower is interesting, but it is camping, you arent staying at a mobil motel. Hell, if you want to drive to CA I might even let my 2016 850 go for a good deal as we also have a 28ft camper as well for when the now adult kids go

Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:01:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:58:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By SixpackinOk:
They make campers for SRW trucks, shoot, they make them for F250's and short bed trucks. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
View Quote

I'm aware. Finding one for a family of five plus an occasional additional is a challenge. However, I have no problem with throwing one or two of the kids in a tent. Any recommendations on one particularly geared for cold weather camping? I really dislike pop-ups, but I could deal with a slide out or two.

Originally Posted By savage1971:
If its just you and the wife in the camper, the lance 850 is perfect. Throw the kids in a tent and make them stay outside. If it is raining and there is more than 2 in the camper, it is miserable. but for 2, it is the perfect size. Not too big not horribly small, yes, you are inconvenienced in some things, bathroom is tight, shower is interesting, but it is camping, you arent staying at a mobil motel. Hell, if you want to drive to CA I might even let my 2016 850 go for a good deal as we also have a 28ft camper as well for when the now adult kids go
View Quote

We're in the process of moving interstate, but, if you would be so kind, send me some pictures of that 850. I've done over a dozen road trips over 2000 miles: I really don't mind a drive.

Originally Posted By n0zzle:
Lance Enduro off-road trailer four season
View Quote

I'm eyeing the Black Series HQ17, actually;Winnebago's Minnie double axle as a backup.

The hits just keep on coming! Carry on, lads.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 5:16:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 6:15:19 PM EDT
[#24]
@savage1971

That looks fuckin' great. Would you mind carrying this conversation on via PM? Cheers, mate!
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 6:26:25 PM EDT
[#25]
@savage1971

That looks fuckin' great. Would you mind carrying this conversation on via PM? Cheers, mate!
View Quote
Hit me up

Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:32:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By savage1971:
Hit me up

View Quote

Inbound momentarily!
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 1:12:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BandM] [#27]
I’ve got a 1999 shadow cruiser, sitting on a heavily modified 03 f250 single cab with a 5.4.   No kids,  just the girlfriend and 100lb lab-dog.   It’s tight but I would not travel any other way.

We use it like a mobile hotel.  Yeah the bathroom is tight, yes it’s a wet bath but it works.  Another plus is  I can literally go anywhere with it.  I will fit anywhere a standard f250 will fit.  Also we never take it off the truck.  

Op I can go on and on pm me if you’d like.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 2:43:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By BandM:
I’ve got a 1999 shadow cruiser, sitting on a heavily modified 03 f250 single cab with a 5.4.   No kids,  just the girlfriend and 100lb lab-dog.   It’s tight but I would not travel any other way.

We use it like a mobile hotel.  Yeah the bathroom is tight, yes it’s a wet bath but it works.  Another plus is  I can literally go anywhere with it.  I will fit anywhere a standard f250 will fit.  Also we never take it off the truck.  

Op I can go on and on pm me if you’d like.
View Quote

I think we're on the same page. Yeah, it's gonna be tight inside and overall storage is going to be limited, but that's going to be the case on anything less than a fifth wheel. Not having more tires in contact with the ground and being able to go wherever the truck can- whether that be in town or on tight(ish) trails- are huge points in the truck camper's favor.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 8:00:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Hey Lew just saw this thread i have a Arctic Fox, i can sleep 4 adults or 2 adults and 3-4 kids, 60 gallon water, two 30 lbs propane tanks, i upgraded tires and wheels to 19.5's to handle the weight better over factory tires
this thing is very comfortable and we love it, plan on roaming the country this coming fall/winter

Link Posted: 5/10/2023 9:18:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By CombatVector:
Hey Lew just saw this thread i have a Arctic Fox, i can sleep 4 adults or 2 adults and 3-4 kids, 60 gallon water, two 30 lbs propane tanks, i upgraded tires and wheels to 19.5's to handle the weight better over factory tires
this thing is very comfortable and we love it, plan on roaming the country this coming fall/winter

https://i.imgur.com/swtIAHB.jpg
View Quote

Congratulations, you are the first person to make me jealous today! That is a super nice rig!
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 10:13:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By SixpackinOk:

Congratulations, you are the first person to make me jealous today! That is a super nice rig!
View Quote

thanks Sixpack, bought in 2021 right before the ramp up in prices
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 6:04:57 PM EDT
[#32]

https://i.imgur.com/swtIAHB.jpg
View Quote

@CombatVector

Thanks for chiming in! That bitch looks so rad.

Which model is that? How would you feel running that camper on a single rear axle?
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 9:12:45 PM EDT
[#33]
its a 1150 drybath, i know people do run on SRW trucks, but man i dont know if i could they are big and heavy, i would probably get a lighter model if i was using a SRW truck
The 1150 is probably 5500Lbs+ loaded, i run 7500Lb airbags and upper/lower stableloads also, plus the 19.5 tires and wheels which are rated at 4500lbs apiece where the 17inch factory tires/wheels were only rated at 3000 each

lotta good info here https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 9:17:01 PM EDT
[#34]
1150 is the biggest one they make, the 811 is lighter and very nice, plus other brands have lighter ones Lance, Northern Lite etc

https://northwoodmfg.com/truck-campers/arctic-fox-camper/
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 4:51:26 PM EDT
[#35]
1150 is the biggest one they make, the 811 is lighter and very nice, plus other brands have lighter ones Lance, Northern Lite etc

https://northwoodmfg.com/truck-campers/arctic-fox-camper/
View Quote

That 811 looks nice. The other contender is a Lance 850. Size and weight for those is very close.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 3:58:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Chipper44mag:
Have had several trucks campers over the years. Each time I've said NEVER again. Sold the last one and gave wife permission to hit me in the head with a bat if I ever even think about that again.

Biggest problem is lack of floor space. Having to do the dance of who's sitting or on the bed so the other can get dressed or cook, whatever. Take the camper on, then off, back on what a pain in the a--. Take a shower or use the bathroom, LOL.

Don't get a soft side that's a whole different level of misery. Especially if it rains and you have to move. Just use the tent as everything is wet. No stealth camping with the top up. Nearly impossible to heat or cool.
View Quote

What have you switched to?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top