Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2023 11:13:04 AM EDT
I put together a 6.5 Grendel build for my son to start hunting with me.  I have a few scope options I can put on there, but may have to purchase another after this question.  I’m looking for something that has generous eye relief so that both of us can possibly use it.  He would likely have the stock fully collapsed, where I would extend it the whole way. Am I asking for a unicorn? lol.  I know we could go with a red dot but I want a scope for him to start with.  
Thanks for any help
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 10:05:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sanman28] [#1]
Originally Posted By flathead977:
I put together a 6.5 Grendel build for my son to start hunting with me.  I have a few scope options I can put on there, but may have to purchase another after this question.  I’m looking for something that has generous eye relief so that both of us can possibly use it.  He would likely have the stock fully collapsed, where I would extend it the whole way. Am I asking for a unicorn? lol.  I know we could go with a red dot but I want a scope for him to start with.  
Thanks for any help
View Quote

My 6.5 16” Grendel.  3-9 vx-r

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 12:05:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Nice setup!
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 6:19:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Vortex makes good glass.  I prefer the diamond back series for hunting rifles.  All the ar's wear one.  

www.aaoptics.com

This is where I buy them, they are reconditioned but I have never had an issue and they still carry the lifetime warranty.

Link Posted: 11/17/2023 7:13:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Midway has the Vortex Diamondback HP 4-16x42 for $200. HPs have viper glass but a 1"tube. I have 8 of them now. They are an awesome deal.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 11:16:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Start simple and lighter:
Viper HS

Or if you want fancier:
Viper PST II
The PST II is super clear but those scopes weigh quite a lot. They also make 3-15 and 5-25 which regularly go on sale. The HS paired with a Ruger American in 6.5G is peanut butter and jelly.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 10:03:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I ended up putting a Nikon on it that I already had.  So far with limited shooting, both of us can use it with decent eye relief while adjusting the stock. I’m hoping to get him on a deer before the end of the season.  Thanks
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 9:16:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TurtlesAlltheWayDown] [#7]
Vortex viper line is a good bang for the buck.  Remember most hunting happens at dusk/dawn, light collection is important.  Vipers can be had for $300-350ish regularly, gun.deals is your friend.

As always buy the best you can afford when it comes to glass.

“Man this glass is so clear and it’s so bright, I hate it” - nobody ever
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top