Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2024 6:18:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: akcaribouhunter]

Wife brought in her salt fish.

Salmon is fileted then layers of fish and salt in the bucket.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 6:49:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmmmm
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 6:53:11 PM EDT
[#2]
The closest to that I've made is Gravlax with reds I dip netted on the mouth of the Kenai.  It's got salt, but sugar also.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:01:53 AM EDT
[#3]
@akcaribouhunter

Could you expand upon how it is stored, temperatures, how long it lasts, etc?  I keep wondering about doing some salted fish- salmon, or tuna maybe, just to try it out.  I know it used to be the main way cod was done.

Normally I freeze a fair amount, and while I can’t stand basic canned fish (too mushy), I do a lot of smoking it at low temp for just long enough to impart the flavor and firm up the meat, then pressure can it in pint or quarts (using AK derived data- nobody else publishes data for quarts.  Pints are a pain…). Smoked canned salmon and tuna is pretty amazing to be honest!  

But I would not mind learning how to salt fish, and see how it works.  (A small set net is also on my “to get” list for survival gear.  If SHTF, well not gonna be using barbless hooks and a fishing rod!)
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:21:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tac556:
@akcaribouhunter

Could you expand upon how it is stored, temperatures, how long it lasts, etc?  I keep wondering about doing some salted fish- salmon, or tuna maybe, just to try it out.  I know it used to be the main way cod was done.

Normally I freeze a fair amount, and while I can't stand basic canned fish (too mushy), I do a lot of smoking it at low temp for just long enough to impart the flavor and firm up the meat, then pressure can it in pint or quarts (using AK derived data- nobody else publishes data for quarts.  Pints are a pain ). Smoked canned salmon and tuna is pretty amazing to be honest!  

But I would not mind learning how to salt fish, and see how it works.  (A small set net is also on my "to get" list for survival gear.  If SHTF, well not gonna be using barbless hooks and a fishing rod!)
View Quote
Stored under the house where it keeps cool. Keeps best if it is kept cool.
We get temperatures up to the 80s but under the house keeps cool.

We have stored buckets of dry-fish and salt fish in holes in the ground.

Kept at least two three years at least if kept cool.

Rock salt in the bottom
Layer of fish
Layer of salt and so on.
Make sure fish is completely covered at the top.

Also make sure you soak the fish after getting them out of the salt.
Change the water a few times and test a bite of fish to see if most of the salt is gone.
It is eaten (raw) cured in the salt.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:00:24 PM EDT
[#5]
On one of my many trips we loaded the ship in Dutch Hbr with pallets of salted cod around 100,000 lbs from a Norwegian factory trawler.  Good lord what a mess that was.   It was all unloaded in Seattle 12 days later.   Only took one day for the gang to unload it, but they spent 3 days cleaning the mess so they could backload the boat for the trip north.    

Another bad one was bags of fish meal, 800,000 lbs of it.   After those two trips the office never booked those loads again.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:50:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Chinese have been doing that for centuries.  Hom Yu (salt fish).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top