Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/19/2024 9:51:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bowmanch]
SHTF come in different forms, don’t act like some of my co-workers

I work for a small startup company that is still dependent on outside investor funding.  One of our investors was scheduled to give us money in November, instead they choose to not to give us the money.  That lack of money caught up with everyone when the company tried to make payroll on January 15, we didn’t have the money to pay everyone and the board of directors was not able to secure a bank loan.  This lead to no one being paid.

We are told some individual investors will loan the company some money to make payroll, but it won’t hit the payroll system until the 23rd, so a nine-day delay getting paid.  There have been numerous conversations discussing the payroll delay and in some of these discussions co-workers are sharing how this is impacting them.  

I am blown away on how many people can earn over $100,000 (and a lot of these people have a working spouse so I would have no doubt their household income is north of $175,000) and are so short on money that having a unforeseen nine-day pay delay is causing people to miss loan payments, get charged late fees for missing bill due dates, have to debate if they are going to skip a mortgage payment, pull kids out of day care, overdraw their checking account to buy “necessities”.

Just doing some basic stuff like; have an small emergency fund  and / or two months of expenses in the checking account and / or keep a full pantry of food so you can skip a grocery store trip; all would go a long way to keep this pay delay a minor inconvenience instead of putting your family one step away from financial ruin.  I would hate to hear the stories if we had to buck up and completely forego that paycheck…

Small update Jan 23 2024...

The loan came through and everyone's payroll was funded.  It is interesting to look through LinkedIn and see how many co-workers are marking their profile as "Open to Work" and openly asking other community members about job openings in other companies.  Guess I am going to get to see first hand on how the 2020's trend of "quite quitting" will impact an organization.  Also curious if my company is going to ask these co-worker their motives / seriousness on leaving the organization.  As many people have pointed out in this thread, not real shocked people are looking for a more stable job, just a little surprised about doing it directly in front of their current employer.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 10:11:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 10:19:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Isenhelm] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By meltdown:

you still might hear them. get a jump on the job search.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By meltdown:
Originally Posted By bowmanch:
I would hate to hear the stories if we had to buck up and completely forego that paycheck

you still might hear them. get a jump on the job search.
This right here, update that resume. Put off buying anything you will regret having bought when you get laid off because the company is out of funds.
Could be a hiccup or maybe its a sign of a greater issue..
People are like that though, they leverage everything, get a riase and leverage more, never thinking the economy or their source of income could have a downturn and they set themselves up for the fall.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 10:21:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a rule, that unless you have liquid one year of income, you do not have any extra money to play with.

My ex was a spend it as soon as it comes in, (or in her case often before it came in).

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 10:24:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Shoot 2 years ago I got paid quarterly. 4 checks all year and we were fine.

Link Posted: 1/19/2024 10:30:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mooseless] [#5]
Nine meals away something something

Though right before the COVID lockdowns I told a wealthy friend he should be stocking up on food, etc. He scoffed at me and said he can just order groceries online.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 10:47:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I listen to people bitch about no funds, all while discussing recent luxury purchases, trips, etc. The same people that buy breakfast and lunch, cigs and booze, every day.

My buddy's B&SIL are these people. DINK and no brains. Was still underwater on a POS car so he went and bought not only brand new but loaded, on a 7yr at a ridiculous rate. Next month he signed a $50k+ deal for replacement windows. For a ranch home that shouldn't have cost more than ~$15k for new construction. This is after my buddy and his wife explained to them why these were not good deals.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 10:51:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Bigger_Hammer:
I had a rule, that unless you have liquid one year of income, you do not have any extra money to play with.

My ex was a spend it as soon as it comes in, (or in her case often before it came in).

Bigger_Hammer
View Quote

Income or expenses?  Income seems way overboard while expenses does have merit.  Although a year may be overboard to some, I understand the thought.  We have 9 months of expenses and a 2 income household so it probably equates to about 18 months
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 10:51:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Probably the same people who will pay on their student loans for 20 years, and owe more than they borrowed because they are college grads who don't understand how loan amortization works.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 11:16:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: InsaneRusher] [#9]
it amazes me that the focus of this thread is idiots not budgeting their money and no one is even mentioning the company that was so incompetent it missed payroll.

any halfway competent company has multiple ways to make payroll.  if they have missed payroll they are either monumentally retarded or on their last gasp before going under.  either one is really fucking bad

who cares about idiots and their spending habits, look to yourself and start searching for a new job
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 11:42:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#10]
The point of this thread literally is the coworkers and their individual inability to miss a paycheck. It’s not a “what do you do if you are a company and can’t make payroll” thread.

It’s a good thread by the OP. Good reminder not to live paycheck to paycheck. Live below your means and have money set aside for unexpected expenses.  I have a thread with a similar theme of lack of planning for retirement. Either way, money slows down coming in. Are you ready? Can you get by on what you have? How long can you last before a lack of a job becomes an emergency?  

Personally, I have never experienced a complete job loss and hope I never do. But, I have planned for it and am ready for it if it happens. I have experienced both planned and unplanned reduction in income (not a total loss of income just a reduction) and in each case, I didn’t even notice. Perhaps a little less money to spend on recreation or fun stuff. Otherwise, I did just fine.

I am amazed every day at the lack of financial planning on the part of people. It’s amazing to me. Personally, I think most preppers should get their financial house in order way before they start stockpiling fun stuff. If you have all the latest and greatest toys but the loss of a paycheck is going to do you in, you have failed at prepping.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 11:54:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thederrick106] [#11]
The way the world is going this is a problem more and more are going to face as time goes on.  

Two very large companies/ employers in my AO are closing up shop in 2024.  It's going to get worse before it gets better.

Everything has gotten significantly more expensive since 2019, prices outpacing wages for most.

Tangible goods, $ in the bank, $ on hand, and a solid investment for retirement...  No one knows what will really happen, but an all-around hedge on the possible future never hurts.  All scenarios and options should not be overlooked regardless of your Retirement/ SHTF/ TEOTWAWKI/ Preparedness outlook.

Just my two cents & YMMV.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 11:56:15 PM EDT
[#12]
the point of this thread is to shake our heads at people that can't handle missing a paycheck and to feel smug about having X numbers of dollars in our bank account.

there are dozens of ways for people to handle missing a paycheck without crying that the sky is falling.  if you can't than you are either dumb as a box of rocks or on the ragged edge of collapse which funny enough is the same as a company that is not able to meet payroll

Link Posted: 1/20/2024 12:20:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By InsaneRusher:
it amazes me that the focus of this thread is idiots not budgeting their money and no one is even mentioning the company that was so incompetent it missed payroll.

any halfway competent company has multiple ways to make payroll.  if they have missed payroll they are either monumentally retarded or on their last gasp before going under.  either one is really fucking bad

who cares about idiots and their spending habits, look to yourself and start searching for a new job
View Quote
The home builder I worked for right out of college missed payroll one week. Well he gave us all checks they just weren't any good. Everyone turned up at his house on Saturday morning because the checks bounced. He said it was because the clients gave him the draw late and the bank didn't put it online in time. Turns out he was fucking around on his wife and didn't get to the bank on time. She found out about it the next month and then we were all out of a job.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 4:40:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Its not just having a JIC/SHTF account(s) in the bank(s) or 401/IRA etc you can draw from, things do happen where you are unable to draw funds from those for a while.

You got to have at least 30 days of cash on hand to cover monthly expenses, preferably 90 days worth,

Down side depending on how much debit and other monthly expenses you have, is that is a shit load of JIC/SHTF funds you have stuffed under the mattress that isn't earning interest in a bank account.

And it can cause other issues if anyone knows you keep that kind of funds.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:41:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 8:16:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 9:04:05 AM EDT
[#17]
the point of this thread is to shake our heads at people that can't handle missing a paycheck and to feel smug about having X numbers of dollars in our bank account.

there are dozens of ways for people to handle missing a paycheck without crying that the sky is falling.  if you can't than you are either dumb as a box of rocks or on the ragged edge of collapse which funny enough is the same as a company that is not able to meet payroll

View Quote

Maybe I don’t understand what point you are trying to make. I understand the point the OP is trying to make.

There are many ways people can handle missing a paycheck. What are some of your recommendations? What do you do to prevent a paycheck loss from being catastrophic?

No one here has posted anything “smug” about having money available to them. Quite the contrary, people are pointing out why it’s important to have cash available and what happens if you do not.

Your posts sound like “I’m envious” vs the OP’s point of “see how bad this is…learn from them”. Perhaps I misunderstood your post so please feel free to explain what point you are making with some more detail. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 10:34:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By ColtRifle:

Maybe I don’t understand what point you are trying to make. I understand the point the OP is trying to make.

There are many ways people can handle missing a paycheck. What are some of your recommendations? What do you do to prevent a paycheck loss from being catastrophic?

No one here has posted anything “smug” about having money available to them. Quite the contrary, people are pointing out why it’s important to have cash available and what happens if you do not.

Your posts sound like “I’m envious” vs the OP’s point of “see how bad this is…learn from them”. Perhaps I misunderstood your post so please feel free to explain what point you are making with some more detail. Thanks!
View Quote

No thanks!

not worth my time, unless you got a paycheck for me?
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 10:42:03 AM EDT
[#19]
I’m not going to work for a company that can’t make payroll.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:29:34 PM EDT
[#20]

No thanks!

not worth my time, unless you got a paycheck for me?
View Quote

I guess my suspicion was right. Oh well. Glad others have useful suggestions/thoughts on this topic.

Perhaps this part of AR15.com isn’t what you are interested in. That’s ok. It’s not for everyone.

Link Posted: 1/20/2024 7:34:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Taft] [#21]

I guess my suspicion was right. Oh well. Glad others have useful suggestions/thoughts on this topic.

Perhaps this part of AR15.com isn’t what you are interested in. That’s ok. It’s not for everyone.

View Quote

Comments removed. This is a tech forum, not GD. - Taft
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 11:09:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#22]
Originally Posted By Ndenway1twicetimes:
Its not just having a JIC/SHTF account(s) in the bank(s) or 401/IRA etc you can draw from, things do happen where you are unable to draw funds from those for a while.

You got to have at least 30 days of cash on hand to cover monthly expenses, preferably 90 days worth,

Down side depending on how much debit and other monthly expenses you have, is that is a shit load of JIC/SHTF funds you have stuffed under the mattress that isn't earning interest in a bank account.

And it can cause other issues if anyone knows you keep that kind of funds.
View Quote

Personally I think it's a better idea to have a decent amount of cash on hand vs the interest it will make.  Now I don't think all your money needs to be in easy to access cash.  I firmly believe that your money needs to work for you.  But, an easy to access cash reserve is very important to have in my opinion.  As many here have mentioned in the past, fast access to cash has saved their butt or allowed them to take advantage of a smoking deal.  Friend of mine recently had a chance to buy a car dirt cheap.  Put $1000 into it and he's got a good, reliable vehicle and fast cash made that smoking deal possible (and with the car market today, smoking deals on cars are extremely rare).  

Putting cash into Money Market accounts can still give you access to your cash while earning some interest so they would be worth looking into.

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/banking/money-market-account/what-is-a-money-market-account/
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 12:38:44 AM EDT
[#23]
I once had a company bounce a payroll check. When I went to the CEOs office and threatened to put a lien on his really nice office furniture and all his personal assets, he suddenly was able to come up with a cashier's check for my pay.

It is always a good idea to have a number of months expenses in the bank. And, the number of months that is should vary depending on the likelihood of being able to get another job paying similar to what you were earning. During a recession, you should have more in the bank. And, once you get to that "have enough money to cover expenses until I can get a job, even in a recession" level, don't reduce it when times are booming. As for actual cash, I would think you should be able to cover at least one month's expenses as it might take a month for the .gov to sort out your bank's issues where your money is normally. Further, there are times that plastic isn't being accepted (been in more than one disaster where that was the case).

Job loss (or change) is very common. During a 40+ year working career, you will likely either lose or change jobs at least twice. So, it's a no-brainer to be prepared for that because it's highly likely.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 1:18:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 9:37:23 AM EDT
[#25]
While I believe it is prudent to have savings, and shows personal responsibility, I guess I see this first as just something completely  unacceptable. They be paid and be paid on time, and as an employer, I would never question why someone needed their paycheck on time as promised.

Maybe they were going a trip, maybe they were closing on a home. I don’t know and it’s none of my business.

But as far as survival and economic collapse, yea, we’re all fucked.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 9:59:41 AM EDT
[#26]
If my employer can't make payroll, for whatever reasons, I would be out ASAP!
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 10:05:57 AM EDT
[#27]
OP is laughing that his fellow employees can’t miss a paycheck without missing obligations but seems unconcerned that he is employed by a company that is operating the same way.

Is the OP in line to reap big rewards if this startup company becomes successful, or is he just an employee that will suffer the bumps but not reap the potential windfall?
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 11:45:11 AM EDT
[#28]
My wife says to me several times a year we (family of 4) should go on a nice trip/vacation soon. I tell her I’d rather have the money or buy something like an atv that will last decades instead of pissing the money away and a week or two later you have nothing to show for. Last year we bought my fathers polaris utv with a 100 hours on it and can plow the driveway with it. It will last 20 years.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 12:39:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:
OP is laughing that his fellow employees can't miss a paycheck without missing obligations but seems unconcerned that he is employed by a company that is operating the same way.

Is the OP in line to reap big rewards if this startup company becomes successful, or is he just an employee that will suffer the bumps but not reap the potential windfall?
View Quote
Sometimes with a startup that should be an expectation - and its usually a risk/reward kind of thing. You hear about "I worked for a startup and we started with nothing, then sold out for $5 billion..." the flip side is the 50 others that went belly up and crashed, couldn't make payroll, pay suppliers, etc.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 12:47:14 PM EDT
[#30]
So if you have a job at next Christmas I’d gove
Out copies of Dave Ramsey .
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 12:59:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Lowdown3:
This.

Be careful though, I was told on this very forum by  a supposed freedom loving patriot/gun owner/wanna be survivalist that "anyone that has over $50. in cash IS a drug dealer" .
LOL

Yes, have CASH (FRNs) for many reasons- paying bills without access to the bank, no power for cards, flee in the night, etc.

It's not going to be Mad Max on Day 1.
View Quote

I used to live along the coast and have been through several hurricanes & bad storms.

Experience watching others stress out because they could not show up at a convenience or grocery store and run your credit / debit / ebt card & get your daily gas, groceries or prescriptions - it they are open and still have stuff, it is cash & carry at best.

As the poster above stated RFN = C-A-S-H and you should have a supply of a variety of bills from 1's to 100's in your SHTF supplies just like bullets, beans & bandages.

If you extend that out - could you pay for your necessities for 30 days or even 2 weeks in a major disaster?
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 1:32:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Don't mistake someone having high earnings for being wealthy or financially savvy, in
fact it's usually the opposite.

Kind of a long story but very illustrative:

In 2008 I was living with my fiancee at the time in the second wealthiest zip code in AZ.

I do very well for myself and it was pretty routine for neighbors and the parents of the kid's
friends to wealth-shame me for driving an older car, or not having whatever new pop culture
wealth indicator was. And it did feel like I was earning a fraction of what they were.

When the financial collapse hit, the implosions I saw happen around me were insane. The most
notable one was also one of the worst braggarts, a husband and wife real estate team that owned
7 houses (in this neighborhood, McMansions all valued at $1.5M+ prior to the collapse), drove matching
brand-new top-end Land Rovers, and had all the usual trappings of the nouveau riche. It turned
out that everything they had was based on leveraging debt to the maximum, with rent and real estate
commissions pretty much going 100% to debt service, it took virtually nothing to disrupt their cash
flow and collapse their entire world. They disappeared, and in April of 2009 my GF went to get coffee
and the barista turned out to be the wife of the couple, and they'd moved to an apartment in a cheaper
area of town.

I saw so many variations of the above I became convinced the fake it 'til you make it crowd was the norm
and not the exception.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 2:49:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:
OP is laughing that his fellow employees can’t miss a paycheck without missing obligations but seems unconcerned that he is employed by a company that is operating the same way.

View Quote

Financial preparedness is one of the basic fundamentals that everyone should have on their list.

I’d think that if I worked for a startup that’d be even more important.

These guys:
https://youtube.com/@MoneyGuyShow
who are way more knowledgeable than 99% of us on this stuff put it in this order:

1. Deductibles covered

2. Employer match

3. High interest debt

4. Emergency fund

5. 5 more things…

If I worked for a startup or I started seeing signs of financial stress on a company I worked for and I didn’t already have number 4 covered I think it might move up the priority list.

I don’t see him laughing at them.  He is showing an example (an anecdote) of what can happen when one doesn’t have their financial house in order.  If you look at the data one would see that this is pervasive in American life.  It needs to change.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 2:59:36 PM EDT
[#34]
The more you make the more people seem to spend.

Just because you make 100+k a year doesn't make you rich by any means.

Plenty of poors make that 100+k because they don't know how to manage money.

Decent money doesn't equate to decent decission making.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 4:27:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burncycle] [#35]
The difficult truth is that a huge portion of our population struggles not exclusively because of the external circumstances imposed upon them, but also because of the choices they've made and continue to make, myself included at times.

This is not zero sum, short of the most extreme cases that are already so advanced there's very little that can be done without external intervention (which is why some social safety nets are important), there is almost always a chain of choices someone can make that can lead them to end up better than where they started.

This is dismissed as expecting someone to "pull themselves up by their bootstraps" by those who believe the lion's share of responsibility your wellbeing should be the purview of society and the state rather than yourself, but it's true. The same people who deride the idea are loathe to acknowledge that people in America have tremendous opportunities simply by virtue of the fact that they were lucky enough to be born here and in this time.

You could sit nearly anyone miserable with their lot in the US down in front of a counselor, psychologist and financial advisor and walk through how to fix their lives, people making $100,000 a year are no exception, because it's a mindset. Their additional money only allows them to defer it coming to a head for longer. That doesn't mean these people are always functionally capable of seeing it through, but if you haven't waited too long a path can usually be sussed out.

This isn't to say external factors cannot absolutely screw you over despite an extremely reasonable risk management framework (health issues for instance), or that nothing on the external end needs fixing too; you can absolutely do everything right and still lose, but such things are like the weather - you can't control it directly, all you can do is focus on what you can control.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 9:03:37 PM EDT
[#36]
I see examples of people living at the edge of bankruptcy all the time.  You can either learn from them....or not.  Everything in life is a series of decisions and consequences.  I'm responsible for every decision I have made.  I've had bad things happen to me.  I've had good things happen to me.  Bad things led to decisions...and good things led to decisions.   Either way, I had decisions to make.  I do not need to feel sorry for people who made bad decisions because bad decisions rarely result in good results.  

It's just sad that so few people have financial sense.  We can even see it with people on this site.  They have made lots of poor financial decisions which resulted in money problems......and then they are envious of those who made good financial decisions resulting in living financially comfortable.  Seeing this, I talk to numerous younger people at my job and I always try to encourage them to have financial sense...and if they express an interest, I try to teach them everything I am able to.  But, I never talk about my personal finances.  I don't want to experience envy like we see so often with people who refuse to make good financial decisions for themselves.  

My sister-in-law has made constant bad decisions in life with predictable results.  She's insanely jealous of us because of what we have but we have worked very hard for what we have.  I don't care what happens to her because she could have had any chance to lead a good life but she chose poorly.....time and time again.  We tried to help her multiple times and we paid the price for that...never again.  "We don't walk away because we want to teach you a lesson...we walk away because we finally learned ours."  

Link Posted: 1/21/2024 9:14:36 PM EDT
[#37]
I have worked for 2 start ups and given sweat equity in both. The main owners did without paychecks several times. it came down to us sweat equity guys missing checks 2 or 3 times.
During COVID, we cut owners (I own 1.25%) pay but not employees. Their hours were cut to 0 OT.
If you are at a start up you should expect such things. Are they offering you any options being there from the beginning?
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 2:33:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By reb0957:

Are they offering you any options being there from the beginning?
View Quote

In a round about way.  I am not a day one employee.  Employees are being granted units of equity(since you can’t call it stock and we not taking actual possession of any part of the company when joining).  Those only go into effect if the company is sold.

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 2:39:22 AM EDT
[#39]
The people on the “board” should probably sell a bunch of shit to pay the people. Maybe sell some of their own assets. The owners of the company should accept responsibility. They shouldn’t have had people working if they couldn’t pay them.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 3:29:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By bowmanch:

I work for a small startup company that is still dependent on outside investor funding.  One of our investors was scheduled to give us money in November, instead they choose to not to give us the money.  
View Quote

You work at a Ponzi scheme fronting as a small startup company.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 7:59:23 PM EDT
[#41]
I agree OP.

Small startup as well. I went a year w/o pay - my wife carried us through it and we had savings for those 'oh shit' moments. We seriously curtailed our spending - It was kind of a good exercise for us, we began to seriously question everything we thought about buying. The amount we spent on Amazon before that was surprising when we stopped and thought about it.

Finally a big contract came through that we had been working on for some time and we are set for at least a few years, most likely a decade with how things are going.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 9:10:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Excellent post OP...

I get two take-aways...

1) Huge income, no savings...  Its utterly amazing how many people make good money, yet have zero cash.  The reason is simple:  Even though income is good, outflow exceeds income.  Every single dollar that comes in next week is already earmarked to go to this loan company, that mortgage, this phone bill.   It is insanity.   I simply cannot wrap my head around this stupidity, but it's widespread.  Its the norm...

I've successfully coached a few people out of this rat race treadmill existence, using s few common principles.  Basically, its Dave Ramsey the stuff.  Track your dollars.  Understand where they are going.  That Startbucks habit ISNT just a couple of bucks.  Its $6 twice a day on a frivolous stupid expense, and it quickly adds up to $3,000 a year.  And your various streaming services, while only $19.99, when combined are often running another $3,000/$4,000 a year....

People whine they aren't paid enough.  Bullshit.  Globally speaking, we have EXCELLENT wages.  The issue is 100% people can't manage their money

2) We get a nine day delay in paychecks and all of a sudden it's doom.  Payments are late.  Payments are missed.  There isn't any grocery money.  This should scare us.  What it really means is that when there is a hiccup in the system, our neighbors suddenly get desperate.  Stress levels go up.  Initially, its just Jimmy and Joanie next door fight more often than usual.  But in a very really sense, it can quickly mean Jimmy and Joanie get really desperate in a big freaking hurry, and then the "Its just not fair that HE"S got heat and food, and fuel and and and I dont have any!  I DESERVE what HE'S got!!!".    You can finish the rest of the story,,,,
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 2:17:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By frozenny:
Excellent post OP...

I get two take-aways...

1) Huge income, no savings...  Its utterly amazing how many people make good money, yet have zero cash.  The reason is simple:  Even though income is good, outflow exceeds income.  Every single dollar that comes in next week is already earmarked to go to this loan company, that mortgage, this phone bill.   It is insanity.   I simply cannot wrap my head around this stupidity, but it's widespread.  Its the norm...

I've successfully coached a few people out of this rat race treadmill existence, using s few common principles.  Basically, its Dave Ramsey the stuff.  Track your dollars.  Understand where they are going.  That Startbucks habit ISNT just a couple of bucks.  Its $6 twice a day on a frivolous stupid expense, and it quickly adds up to $3,000 a year.  And your various streaming services, while only $19.99, when combined are often running another $3,000/$4,000 a year....

People whine they aren't paid enough.  Bullshit.  Globally speaking, we have EXCELLENT wages.  The issue is 100% people can't manage their money

2) We get a nine day delay in paychecks and all of a sudden it's doom.  Payments are late.  Payments are missed.  There isn't any grocery money.  This should scare us.  What it really means is that when there is a hiccup in the system, our neighbors suddenly get desperate.  Stress levels go up.  Initially, its just Jimmy and Joanie next door fight more often than usual.  But in a very really sense, it can quickly mean Jimmy and Joanie get really desperate in a big freaking hurry, and then the "Its just not fair that HE"S got heat and food, and fuel and and and I dont have any!  I DESERVE what HE'S got!!!".    You can finish the rest of the story,,,,
View Quote

Agree 100%.

So many people are living at the edge. We have a lot of people on this site who are living at the edge of bankruptcy. They tend to be the ones who get most upset when their stupid financial decisions are pointed out.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 2:47:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Agree 100%.

So many people are living at the edge. We have a lot of people on this site who are living at the edge of bankruptcy. They tend to be the ones who get most upset when their stupid financial decisions are pointed out.
View Quote

Because they think they deserve to have that stuff. Not want, but deserve. I have never met a single person living beyond their means who didn’t believe that.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 10:35:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bionicmonkey] [#45]
OP, when companies stop making payroll, shit has really hit the fan and they rarely survive.  folks looking for alternate work are exhibiting survival instincts.  you seem to have disdain for them, but i dont hear that they cant survive 9 days without cash so much as they are staring down unemployment and freaking out.

Link Posted: 1/29/2024 7:49:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 8:49:25 AM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

Absolutely this.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:58:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Some of them are just whoring for attention and sympathy, but the majority truly are hurting. Most people don't practice basic financial soundness principles. They spend it as fast as they earn it. I once had a neighbor that was a regional manager for a nationwide used car dealer,  made so much money he got new cars every 6 months and bragged about it, went on numerous cruises every year, made many trips to casinos all over the country, moved into a $1M+ house around the time we left the neighborhood. And when my wife told his wife we paid cash for our purchase of a modest used car she couldn't fathom having enough cash to buy a car. She truly couldn't comprehend that we didn't have a loan and that we had paid cash...
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 7:35:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 7:59:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fxntime] [#50]
Originally Posted By OTHP:
The more you make the more people seem to spend.

Just because you make 100+k a year doesn't make you rich by any means.

Plenty of poors make that 100+k because they don't know how to manage money.

Decent money doesn't equate to decent decission making.
View Quote

I had 2 choices maybe 10 years ago, bust my ass and make more, thereby wearing out my body completely by retirement time, OR, cutting back spending, closely budgeting, not going into hock for ANYTHING, and keeping my decent pay a bit higher but my stress level lower.

I chose the second and don't miss a single toy, payment, and I have more money put away then I likely would have had if I had killed myself working all the time. One of the guys who went the first way hard is having some serious health and stress issues now and he's well over 10 years younger then me. He'll be dead by my age unless he changes how he spends. [and giving expensive shit like a Beemer SUV to his useless daughter who is an adult]

People wold likely laugh at my living costs per month, if I spend a month on all monthly expenses minus stuff like car insurance and house insurance and auto tags, it's well less then $1000 and that includes property taxes because of how long I've lived here. And I live far better then one may think off that.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top