Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 27
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 6:05:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Does anyone know what size the fuel line is?
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 12:26:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I just ordered one.  $25 coupon still has one day left.

Item #63025
Discount
-$25.00
(26965120)
View Quote
Figured why not.  I have an older Coleman 5500 that can run 75% of my house but its a gas hog...  I have another smaller one that will also run my deep well, and while quieter and better on gas its thirsty when you start thinking 24 hour + outage.  I think it will be beneficial to have a smaller unit that I could run if I only need to charge things, or run a fan + light at night etc.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 2:27:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Powerkicker] [#3]
Well; HF shipped me the wrong unit (63025) and damaged it in shipping. When I called customer service from my local HF parking lot, they told me I could not exchange it at the store because the item I had in my possession wasn't the one on the invoice. This was because they shipped the wrong unit, of course. They then said they'd send me a prepaid label that I could put on the wrong one, then take it to a Fedex for shipping. I pointed out that it was not reasonable to have to go further out of my way  to fix their mistake. They then offered to mail me a return label and schedule a Fedex pickup from my front porch.

I'm mildly frustrated. Lesson to be learned; If there is a HF nearby, just drive there instead of ordering online just in case there are problems.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 7:48:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 8:08:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Powerkicker:
Well; HF shipped me the wrong unit (63025) and damaged it in shipping. When I called customer service from my local HF parking lot, they told me I could not exchange it at the store because the item I had in my possession wasn't the one on the invoice. This was because they shipped the wrong unit, of course. They then said they'd send me a prepaid label that I could put on the wrong one, then take it to a Fedex for shipping. I pointed out that it was not reasonable to have to go further out of my way  to fix their mistake. They then offered to mail me a return label and schedule a Fedex pickup from my front porch.

I'm mildly frustrated. Lesson to be learned; If there is a HF nearby, just drive there instead of ordering online just in case there are problems.
View Quote
I'd think you'd still have problems. I have never been impressed by Hazard Frauds customer service.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 12:04:47 AM EDT
[#6]
It may have already been mentioned here but these are on closeout at some Wal-marts for $25.00.
I just picked one up tonight.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/900-W-Generator-5hr-Run-Time/46517280?u1=&oid=223073.7200&wmlspartner=PxE

Use this link and put your zip code in to find them in your area:
https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker?sku=46517280

Happy hunting!
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 1:11:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thederrick106] [#7]
Originally Posted By thederrick106:

Figured why not.  I have an older Coleman 5500 that can run 75% of my house but its a gas hog...  I have another smaller one that will also run my deep well, and while quieter and better on gas its thirsty when you start thinking 24 hour + outage.  I think it will be beneficial to have a smaller unit that I could run if I only need to charge things, or run a fan + light at night etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Item #63025
Discount
-$25.00
(26965120)
Just got my "tailgator."

I must say, that initially I am very impressed by the fit + finish on this thing.  Its a pleasant surprise.  I don't always have high expectations with this sort of thing, but I am very happy.

I am going to run it a bit, but two cycle construction is pretty simple hard to screw up.  I also wonder if they have a new exhaust on these things because mine is really quiet.  Both of my other larger generators are significantly louder.  It much quieter than my push lawn mower, and weedwhacker.  To be honest, aside from the inverter generators I have been around its probably the quietest I have experienced.

This will come in really handy when we only want to run a few things at night during an extended outage.  I wasn't planning on it but its quiet enough that I wouldn't even hesitate to bring this hunting or camping.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 2:24:37 PM EDT
[#8]

This will come in really handy when we only want to run a few things at night during an extended outage.  I wasn't planning on it but its quiet enough that I wouldn't even hesitate to bring this hunting or camping.
View Quote
I often find that it's easier to break one of these out than to stretch an extension cord to the back nine to get something done with a power tool.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 5:09:11 PM EDT
[#9]
That and the little "hotdog" air compressor have made a great road side emergency service kit. Just pack a power strip and a small LED drop light.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 8:44:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I picked one of these up from walmart for $15 since it was a customer return. Long story short, check the little filter screen on the muffler if yours has problems running. Mine was totally gummed up and the generator would hardly run on half choke. Took the screen off and she runs great now!
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 3:02:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Just got my "tailgator."

I must say, that initially I am very impressed by the fit + finish on this thing.  Its a pleasant surprise.  I don't always have high expectations with this sort of thing, but I am very happy.

I am going to run it a bit, but two cycle construction is pretty simple hard to screw up.  I also wonder if they have a new exhaust on these things because mine is really quiet.  Both of my other larger generators are significantly louder.  It much quieter than my push lawn mower, and weedwhacker.  To be honest, aside from the inverter generators I have been around its probably the quietest I have experienced.

View All Quotes

Item #63025
Discount
-$25.00
(26965120)
Just got my "tailgator."

I have run mine for a couple more hours and it seems the exhaust may be breaking in, its similar in noise level to a weed whacker @ 10~25% throttle...  Still IMHO that's QUIET for what it is.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 11:47:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I bit the bullet a while back and bought a 35kw diesel generator from the military auction.  Rebuilt and everything.  Also have a 3500w gasser as a back up.   Nice thing about the mil one is it runs on just about anything.  Motor oil. Diesel. ATF.  Whatever I have laying around.  And doesn’t struggle to run my ac
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 4:07:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Shipped back the first unit and picked up a new unit. Runs ok, but cuts off at about 1/3 tank. Runs great as long as you keep it above that. Weird.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 4:31:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Sounds like they welded the fuel pickup in the tank too high.  Take it back, or you have to rebuild the tank or buy a new tank.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 9:17:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Shipped back the first unit and picked up a new unit. Runs ok, but cuts off at about 1/3 tank. Runs great as long as you keep it above that. Weird.
View Quote
Try running it with the gas cap loosened.

The tank may not be venting properly.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 4:36:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Skibane:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Skibane:

Ok. I must print a retraction. The generator was on a mild slope when it cut off last time. I just ran it to empty by putting the opposite end up hill. This one actually works just fine.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 9:19:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By PCBliss:
Does anyone know what size the fuel line is?
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 8:37:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Somewhere way back in this post I posted about my generator starting and running but not producing power. I replaced a capacitor that was easy to get to but that didn't fix the problem.

So so it sat on my shelf for a long time. I didn't want to throw away a perfectly good motor. I decided to crack her back open again and give it one more go at fixing the no power out problem.

Low and and behold I found a bad diode inside the armature. Bought a 10 pack of new ones from a local supply shop for $3, soldered a new one in place and BAM... fixed the problem!
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 12:03:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By JerzeyTransplant:  Somewhere way back in this post I posted about my generator starting and running but not producing power. I replaced a capacitor that was easy to get to but that didn't fix the problem.

So so it sat on my shelf for a long time. I didn't want to throw away a perfectly good motor. I decided to crack her back open again and give it one more go at fixing the no power out problem.

Low and and behold I found a bad diode inside the armature. Bought a 10 pack of new ones from a local supply shop for $3, soldered a new one in place and BAM... fixed the problem!
View Quote
@PARover
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 5:39:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Anyone know why the Tailgator is only rated at 700 watts running when the older version was rated at 800? Mine seems to run a 750 watt heater fine.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 10:11:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Anyone know why the Tailgator is only rated at 700 watts running when the older version was rated at 800? Mine seems to run a 750 watt heater fine.
View Quote
Maybe they decided to under rate the newer ones by 100 watts so people don't complain when they are running them at the advertised threshold?
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 9:38:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: johnfz6] [#22]
On sale - looks like through to Sunday 11-25-18 $88.79

Tailgator
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 12:30:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Update on mine. I have maybe 15 hours on it. It is now hard to start when cold.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 1:00:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Update on mine. I have maybe 15 hours on it. It is now hard to start when cold.
View Quote
I might have 2 or 3 hours on mine.  Mine starts hard in cold temperatures as in less than 40 degrees but if I set it in my basement for 5~10 minutes it starts right up.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 1:21:18 AM EDT
[#25]
I've had mine for about 4 years, probably has 50 hours on it.  I ran it the other day for exercise, and wasn't getting anything from the plug; nothing worked.  Checking with my multimeter, I'm getting 6 volts at the 110-volt receptacle.  I'm not very knowledgeable about generators.  Is it even worth trying to troubleshoot/repair?  Should I just shitcan it?  At $88, I do kind of look at it as a disposable item.  I'd probably replace it with an inverter generator.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 10:47:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By intheburbs:
I've had mine for about 4 years, probably has 50 hours on it.  I ran it the other day for exercise, and wasn't getting anything from the plug; nothing worked.  Checking with my multimeter, I'm getting 6 volts at the 110-volt receptacle.  I'm not very knowledgeable about generators.  Is it even worth trying to troubleshoot/repair?  Should I just shitcan it?  At $88, I do kind of look at it as a disposable item.  I'd probably replace it with an inverter generator.
View Quote
Part it out on EBay. There appears to be an active market for parts there. You’ll likely get your $88 back. Then by a new one.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 8:18:41 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote
Try giving it a jump start using the drill method...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r3hoxMryEI
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 8:21:08 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote
Make sure first the cap is venting.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 1:58:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Try giving it a jump start using the drill method...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r3hoxMryEI
View Quote
Ok, I'll admit I have just enough knowledge of E&M to be dangerous.  That being said, I thought that video was total BS.  But then I dug further, and it actually seemed quite logical.

So I went outside, all excited to do some electrical magic with my corded drill, and the fucker started right up, and powered my drill right from the get-go.  After a warmup of a few minutes, I have it exercising right now running a 500-watt halogen work light.  Yes, I'm happy that it seems to be working now, but actually a little disappointed that I can't try the trick.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 1:29:09 PM EDT
[#30]

Ok, I'll admit I have just enough knowledge of E&M to be dangerous.  That being said, I thought that video was total BS.  But then I dug further, and it actually seemed quite logical.

So I went outside, all excited to do some electrical magic with my corded drill, and the fucker started right up, and powered my drill right from the get-go.  After a warmup of a few minutes, I have it exercising right now running a 500-watt halogen work light.  Yes, I'm happy that it seems to be working now, but actually a little disappointed that I can't try the trick.
View Quote
Another way you can do it is use a battery and jumper cables on the brushes, but from what I can tell using a corded drill is an easier, simpler method.  I have never had to do it myself but have been aware of the method for some time.

I try to run all my generators every few months, but don't always get around to it.  I never let them go more than 6 months without running.  Actually, snowmobiles, and my never used push mower aside I try not to let anything I have with a motor go longer than 6 months without running it up to temperature.

I got to run my big generator (5500) for 12 hours a couple weeks ago due to a 20 hour plus outage so that sure got a bit of a workout.  Finally got a good average on its fuel usage and figure it to be right around 1/2 gallon per hour mixed loads.  My smaller generator is probably about half that but can't run my hot water heater,  and I do enjoy a shower before going to work, especially after working your ass off shoveling during a wet heavy snow storm.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 12:35:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By WinstonSmith:

I often find that it's easier to break one of these out than to stretch an extension cord to the back nine to get something done with a power tool.
View All Quotes

It works very well for that.

Currently running mine to power my Dish box and TV...  Power went out at midnight last night and they have a 12-noon ETA so its not worth me fiddling my whole house setup or bigger generators just to run them for a few hours or maybe even less.  I keep the little tailgator in my basement so it starts easy.  Ran a lead cord in the door and through the house -good to go on my sub zero degree Saturday.

TV is hardly a necessity but its 10 degrees out and have nothing that needs to get done, and my laptop battery is down to 30%.

Another heads up for $89 sale:

https://www.harborfreight.com/

https://www.harborfreight.com/900-Max-Starting700-Running-Watts-2-HP-63cc-2-Cycle-Gas-Generator-EPACARB-63025.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiNDU4OTY0NDgiLCJza3UiOiI2MzAyNSIsImlzIjoiODkuOTkiLCJwcm9kdWN0X2lk%0D%0AIjoiMTE5NDIifQ%3D%3D%0D%0A

Sale $89.99 with coupon 45896448
Add item to cart to redeem coupon
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 10:39:58 AM EDT
[#32]

View Quote
Ditto. Plus being a two stroke they are a lot more tolerant of off-level positioning than 4 stroke engines, so I affix mine to the 4 wheeler front rack and then can use most electrical tools in the woods. For example, we have some trails, and I use the Harbor Freight pole saw to clear branches, etc.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 9:32:22 AM EDT
[#33]
This thread is really not to active as of late but hopefully someone will see this post and maybe give me some advice.

I bought one of these Storm Cat Generators years ago and havent used it much, maybe running 1 Tank full of fuel through it. I needed to use it the other day and noticed that under slight load it wouldn't keep RPMs. I plugged in a Kill-a Watt meter and it showed 62ish  cycles - 120 volts at no load and 50ish cycles - 90 volts with 250 watt load.
I can adjust the governor up to hold voltage under load but then the cycles and voltage goes up with no load - 150+ volts.
I have taken the carb off and cleaned it twice in an ultrasonic cleaner and have moved the governor spring to different holes on the governor arm with no joy.
If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 1:25:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By sandfantom:
This thread is really not to active as of late but hopefully someone will see this post and maybe give me some advice.

I bought one of these Storm Cat Generators years ago and havent used it much, maybe running 1 Tank full of fuel through it. I needed to use it the other day and noticed that under slight load it wouldn't keep RPMs. I plugged in a Kill-a Watt meter and it showed 62ish  cycles - 120 volts at no load and 50ish cycles - 90 volts with 250 watt load.
I can adjust the governor up to hold voltage under load but then the cycles and voltage goes up with no load - 150+ volts.
I have taken the carb off and cleaned it twice in an ultrasonic cleaner and have moved the governor spring to different holes on the governor arm with no joy.
If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.
Thanks
View Quote
If it is correct under load, why are you concerned about no load?
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 1:27:00 PM EDT
[#35]
^ Does the throttle linkage move smoothly?

Almost sounds like the governor is binding up - or doesn't have enough strength to move the throttle linkage.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 8:01:17 AM EDT
[#36]
All of the linkage moves as it should.
I have been thinking about this and I wonder if it is not the fuel. I believe the fuel in the generator if fairly old. I use non "corn squeezins" gas but it has probably been in there a while. I usually premix all of my 2-stroke in a 2 1/2 gallon can but don't use much in the summer. Most of my 2-stroke stuff doesn't really care but maybe this little genny does.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 11:05:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Er, PARover has gotten one of these started on charcoal lighter fluid and running on drug store rubbing alcohol, so kinda doubt it's your gas.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 11:29:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#38]
Originally Posted By sandfantom:
All of the linkage moves as it should.
I have been thinking about this and I wonder if it is not the fuel. I believe the fuel in the generator if fairly old. I use non "corn squeezins" gas but it has probably been in there a while. I usually premix all of my 2-stroke in a 2 1/2 gallon can but don't use much in the summer. Most of my 2-stroke stuff doesn't really care but maybe this little genny does.
View Quote
You may be on to the problem.

Older non-alcohol fuel often leaves a residue/sludge.

Drain and try 'corn' fuel to help clean up the system. It's all I run and store with no issues, the alcohol is a great cleaner.

Also, I have discovered re Honda EU2000 and 1000 gennys ---in my case...

Very fine [silica] particles accumulate in a certain orifice in the carb and only disassembly and using an air gun [over 30 psi roughly] get them to work OK.

Symptom is they run roughly when choked, but extreme roughness when choke off.

I wrote an extensive topic on this a few years ago.

The solution for 2 2000's and one 1000, has been to add a small, quality, filter [not Chinese, Honda and others have good ones] in the line, hard to fit in there, but doable. See topic in SF, some time ago.

Issue resolved, after years of cleaning carbs.

The EU3000i has not failed in this way after ~15 years.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 11:37:29 AM EDT
[#39]
I think there may be some sort of ionic layer compression coagulation of the silica and aluminum interface that creates favorable conditions for silica accumulation and resulting blockage.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 6:24:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By johnfz6:

Tailgator
View Quote
Website shows $125.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 9:41:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By MoparMike:
Website shows $125.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MoparMike:
Originally Posted By johnfz6:

Tailgator
Website shows $125.
Take a look at the date that was posted....
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 9:50:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Er, PARover has gotten one of these started on charcoal lighter fluid and running on drug store rubbing alcohol, so kinda doubt it's your gas.
View Quote
PARover didn't just fill 'em and fire 'em up.  There was a lot of horsing around to get them to work with alternative fuel.

I've noticed that my older blue model is fairly sensitive to fuel quality.  It'll run on stuff that isn't fresh but it isn't happy about it.  Also, the fuel cap seal aint all that, so fuel left to sit in the generator itself goes bad faster than it would in a decent can.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 6:54:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MateFrio] [#43]
Well $@%# went to do a startup on my generators (3) and the Tailgator didn't work.  Not producing power.  I tried the old corded drill trick to recharge the coils and that didn't work.  I know I used it less than three months ago, possibly two.

Any other tips?

Looking for the extended warranty paperwork now.  I hope it was less than a year ago.   July 2017 @#$
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 9:37:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MateFrio] [#44]
Did some digging\research.  Hopefully it's the capacitor. (Capacitor 12uF 350V)

Here's a troubleshooting guide.  https://www.allmand.com/content/dam/allmand/na/en_us/files/support/Baldor_Generator_Troubleshooting_Guide.pdf

I did the battery 2 second hookup after removing the yellow wires.  Voltage was not within 2v of the battery charge... not even close.

Fuel tank off, 4 10mm bolts.  Disconnect the fuel line.  

Two yellow wires go to the capacitor.

Another view of the capacitor under the green ground wire head.  Remove the filter cover, one screw inside and two that are attached to the carb.  Watch the spring of the carb.

Link Posted: 9/3/2019 10:46:05 PM EDT
[#45]
So I replaced the capacitor and no good, didn't solve the runs but no power issue.

Next onto the diode.  I'll post pictures and a good idea how to replace those if it solves the issue.  See below video for an idea.

How to remedy no output Powermax/Homelite 700w Generator.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 11:21:00 PM EDT
[#46]
@PARover
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 8:21:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By MateFrio:
So I replaced the capacitor and no good, didn't solve the runs but no power issue.

Next onto the diode.  I'll post pictures and a good idea how to replace those if it solves the issue.  See below video for an idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znZcRPt1fyA
View Quote
In the failures that I had getting them to sync the diode was the failure. Diodes usually don't just go bad from sitting though. I saw you tried the drill trick, but did you try a 9v? Just tap and go while it is running to flash the genny.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 1:20:55 PM EDT
[#48]
BUMP...
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 4:29:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DUX4LIFE] [#49]
Well, it's been about 4-5 months since I ran mine.  Used it heavily late summer when I needed to treat my bee hives and needed a source of 110.  Wouldn't start which is unusual as I do run my gensets 3-4 times per year plus when needed.  Since this generator is about 8-10 years old it has had some age related issues.  Last year I replaced the fuel line as it was brittle.   When I did that I also installed an inline fuel filter.  When it wouldn't start I gave it a shot of starting fluid but still no start.  I noticed the spark plug boot was dried and cracked so I wiggled it a bit and the end came off. Played around with it and I could get it to run on and off.  It is simply a coil spring around the spark plug end with the 2 ends of the wire bent into a 90 degree angle and pushed into the insulation of the plug wire until it makes contact with the wire core.  Good old amazon to the rescue.  I ordered an new coil/wire combo as it was the only way to get it
Amazon Product
  • New high quality aftermarket Ignition Coil
  • Fits for Harbor Freight Branded Chicago Electric Storm Cat 900 Watts 63CC/64CC 2HP Handheld Gasoline Generator
  • Replace models #: 60338, 66619 & 69381

.  At $6.99 it is affordable.  Now it runs great.  
FYI the old coil is good.  There is a threaded stud on the end of the coil and the plug wire just screws onto it.  The threaded stud cuts its own thread into the core of the wire.  Easy fix in the future if needed.  Now I've got a spare.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 8:23:03 PM EDT
[#50]

PARover didn't just fill 'em and fire 'em up.  There was a lot of horsing around to get them to work with alternative fuel.

I've noticed that my older blue model is fairly sensitive to fuel quality.  It'll run on stuff that isn't fresh but it isn't happy about it.  Also, the fuel cap seal aint all that, so fuel left to sit in the generator itself goes bad faster than it would in a decent can.
View Quote

For the most part on the Alcohol it was drilling out the jet to richen it up and a castor based oil that would mix with it. The horsing around came with trying to get it to run on charcoal lighter fluid and boost the octane enough to get it not to detonate. Oh and also trying to get to of them run in parallel...
Page / 27
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top