Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/10/2023 12:51:03 PM EDT
So I used to hunt in my youth with my elders and never remember worrying about any glands when skinning rabbits or squirrels, but then again, my memory is fuzzy. Maybe my elders took care of that.

I've been reading lately online that people say you should remove the glands from squirrels or rabbits during processing, otherwise it will taint the meat.

Any experience with this?
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 8:08:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Man, slow board?
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 10:26:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Skyler2000] [#2]
Just ate a rabbit last night and it was fine. I killed it with a .22LR to the head, a while back. As far as I remember, squirrels are the same.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 11:20:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Usually they come off with the skin?

I don’t put any effort into removing them deliberately. Tastes like squirrel/rabbit.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 12:36:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Cleaned a bunch over the years. Never removed them. Same with deer.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 10:00:13 PM EDT
[#5]
No glands in a rabbit that need removing.

Squirrels have a waxy gland under their armpits that I remove, otherwise the meat tastes a bit more strongly of how a squirrel smells like.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 5:26:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Hunted & killed squirrels and rabbits all my life.

Simple kill, skin, gut, wash, cut up and cook.

The glands come off with the skin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top