Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2023 12:56:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trod7308]
I am in search of a whitetail deer hunting rifle for Illinois gun season.

Land of extortion Approved calibers:

https://dnr.illinois.gov/content/dam/soi/en/web/dnr/hunting/documents/ilsingleshotrifle.pdf

I have a RRA AR-10 308 I plan on selling/trading in

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 1:04:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Whitetails correct? Dedicated deer? I think back east the preferred deer caliber is .243 so keep it simple with a bolt action Tikka imo. Not sure what your budget is but, I'm not sure it gets much better in the midrange class.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 1:44:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure what kind of terrain you plan on hunting, but if you're probably 200 yards or a touch more 450 Bushmaster has been absolutely devastating on them in my experience.  I've stretched mine out to almost 300 yards with a custom turret from Leupold.  CVA Cascade has been a great bolt action option.  

Other than that I know people that use a .243 and some that use a 300 Weatherby mag.  The latter being WAY overkill for typical MI hunting.    

I didn't read the link but 450 is a straight wall cartridge so If IL is like MI there are areas that only allow shotguns or straight wall cartridge. . . this would give you a gun you could use in rifle and shotgun areas (if it applies to IL.)
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 2:51:58 PM EDT
[#3]
After looking over the "approved calibers" list the 45-70 looks like your best bet depending on if you reload or not. Other good choices if you can find lever guns that fire them would be .357 mag .44mag .41mag although would be somewhat limited by range. At one time an outfit by the name of "Tar Hunt" IIRC made a 20ga. Bolt action slug gun that shot a 3" or 3 1/2" mag. That was badass but they were the only ones that made  3 1/2" slugs or ammo of any kind.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 3:11:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grinning_bob] [#4]
I’m using a 243 today in southern Wisconsin. It is a handy cartridge with proven knockdown power.

Can’t help with the IL rules. I live in the commie infested state but hunt in WI.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 9:49:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eclark53520] [#5]
360 Buck hammer would be my choice.  Henry Lever gun.

EDIT: Why can't people read the link?  It's crucial to the question being asked.  If you can't bother to read a vital point of the thread, why bother answering the thread?  243 isn't even remotely legal under the Illinois laws...
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 9:57:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Trod7308:
I am in search of a whitetail deer hunting rifle for Illinois gun season.

Land of extortion Approved calibers:

https://dnr.illinois.gov/content/dam/soi/en/web/dnr/hunting/documents/ilsingleshotrifle.pdf

I have a RRA AR-10 308 I plan on selling/trading in

Dont forget the assualt weapons ban and registration b.s.
Thanks in advance.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 12:33:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By eclark53520:
360 Buck hammer would be my choice.  Henry Lever gun.

EDIT: Why can't people read the link?  It's crucial to the question being asked.  If you can't bother to read a vital point of the thread, why bother answering the thread?  243 isn't even remotely legal under the Illinois laws...
View Quote

This. Cartridge restrictions folks. Midwest bullshit.

Then again, people can be stupid and rifle cartridges cover some ground.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 1:14:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#8]
I really liked the idea and the specs of that 400 Legend as far as straightwall cartridges, but it's not readily available yet.

338 Spectre would be an interesting option but not very commonplace. The case length spec should meet their requirements.

An idea occurred to me for a single-shot AR build, but you have that stupid AW ban now so can't get parts. Anyway the idea was to get a left-handed upper & BCG (if you're right handed), put a SLED in then you could easily drop cartridges in through the ejection port with your left hand to reload.

Simple break-open rifle would probably be my preference in a single shot. Not sure what is available.

Originally Posted By explodingvarmints:
450 Bushmaster has been absolutely devastating on them in my experience.
View Quote

My (very limited) experience with 450 Bushmaster was that the recoil was more stout than I was willing to put up with in a lightweight rifle.

What the world needs for the shotgun hunting states is a nice little bolt action 28ga with a rifled slug barrel and some well designed slug loads.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 11:32:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

This. Cartridge restrictions folks. Midwest bullshit.

Then again, people can be stupid and rifle cartridges cover some ground.
View Quote

Heck I was on a bike ride yesterday, with my kids in the bike trailer. I saw a guy with his shotgun over his shoulder tracking a blood trail, what it looked like anyways. I’m thinking, I’m sure there are guys out there that completely disregard the backdrop of a “buck of a lifetime”

I drove all the way down to a bass pro to try and trade in my .308 and of course the “guy” that does the pricing wasn’t in.  Eh, gets got to see Santa and I bought a 6x6 archery target.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 4:23:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kampster] [#10]
I killed two this weekend in IL with a 350 Legend. Both dropped right where they stood.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 8:59:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Kampster:
I killed two this weekend in IL with a 350 Legend. Both dropped right where they stood.
View Quote

.350L and .450 Bushmaster is what the majority here use during regular season.

.350L seems to be the darling.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 12:28:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:
I really liked the idea and the specs of that 400 Legend as far as straightwall cartridges, but it's not readily available yet.

338 Spectre would be an interesting option but not very commonplace. The case length spec should meet their requirements.

An idea occurred to me for a single-shot AR build, but you have that stupid AW ban now so can't get parts. Anyway the idea was to get a left-handed upper & BCG (if you're right handed), put a SLED in then you could easily drop cartridges in through the ejection port with your left hand to reload.

Simple break-open rifle would probably be my preference in a single shot. Not sure what is available.

My (very limited) experience with 450 Bushmaster was that the recoil was more stout than I was willing to put up with in a lightweight rifle.

What the world needs for the shotgun hunting states is a nice little bolt action 28ga with a rifled slug barrel and some well designed slug loads.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gamma762:

Originally Posted By explodingvarmints:
450 Bushmaster has been absolutely devastating on them in my experience.

I threw a Sims recoil pad on my 450 AR and it's not bad at all.  I don't have youth hunters shooting though that's for sure.  They get the 350L.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 9:10:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2009lockedOUT] [#13]
The 360BH has better ballistics than the 350L and 450BM.

I bought a 450BM to hunt Ohio a few years ago before the 350L came out. I was happy with the 450BM.

I think all 3 calibers would work fine but would have to hope the 360BH catches on for ammo availability.

Really depends on how your set up will be in woods or needing a flatter caliber for longer shots in fields etc.

45-70 is fine but the newer straight walls are better for whitetail.

Assuming it will be for next season, if you get the 360BH, I’d wait for more rifle options to become available. I’m sure Henrys are nice but not sure what kind of trigger pull they’d have compared to a nice bolt gun.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 11:51:22 PM EDT
[#14]
If I had to straightway it would be either 350, 400 Legend or Buckhammer.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 6:55:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Ruger American Ranch in .450 Bushmaster, with a Rex Silentium MG7 .458 suppressor.  250 gr Hornady Black ammo.   It's like a light switch that turns deer off.

Link Posted: 11/30/2023 8:28:41 PM EDT
[#16]
As of now, 350 Legend. Rounds are for sale in Illinois stores Walmart and Farm & Fleet.

Good luck
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 11:08:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shack357] [#17]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kampster:

My friend got 2 this week with the .350(he filled my tag for me, I didn't get a shot.)

My daughter has been hunting with the .350 for 4 seasons now.

Nothing we have hit ever goes far. Longest track has been 50 yards.

Daughter is a smallish 15 year old, very mild recoil if that's a concern.

Most years I use .45-70, have also used .450. Any of the three will do the job very well.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 12:07:41 AM EDT
[#18]
I know the 45-70 is gonna get some love, but loads vary dramatically, are stupid expensive, and there aren't fantastic rifles available for the cartridge currently.

Of that list, looking for decent performance, readily available ammo, and availability in a decent rifle at a decent price, I'd be looking at 350 Legend.  Drop it in a Ruger American Ranch, top it with something like a Leupold VX3 in 2.5-8x, and you're pretty much set right up for eastern whitetails.  I can't vouch for your area, but over the last three years I see more 350 ammo on the shelf at Walmart and other retailers than I do most other.  Its currently easier to find than 30-30, and as common as 308.

Link Posted: 12/6/2023 12:35:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shack357] [#19]
Originally Posted By frozenny:
I know the 45-70 is gonna get some love, but loads vary dramatically, are stupid expensive, and there aren't fantastic rifles available for the cartridge currently.

Of that list, looking for decent performance, readily available ammo, and availability in a decent rifle at a decent price, I'd be looking at 350 Legend.  Drop it in a Ruger American Ranch, top it with something like a Leupold VX3 in 2.5-8x, and you're pretty much set right up for eastern whitetails.  I can't vouch for your area, but over the last three years I see more 350 ammo on the shelf at Walmart and other retailers than I do most other.  Its currently easier to find than 30-30, and as common as 308.

View Quote

.45-70 really shines for us casters. With cheaply sourced lead(not as easy as it was, I know) I can load 405 grain .45-70 for about a dollar more per 50 than CCI Stinger .22s.

ETA-As for guns, I have a Walmart clearance 1895, a Navy Arms Enfield conversion, a Contender and a Bond Cyclops. Yeah you could say I like the caliber.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 8:34:17 AM EDT
[#20]
You don't have to talk me into reloading.  I'm all over it...

I will offer up the following:  You can pretty much get two .355" 350 Legend bullets out of the same lead used to cast one traditional 45-70 bullet....    Then that sauce hard to find casting alloy goes further....

For me, currently, the issue with 45-70 is rifles.  If this were 2001 and actual Marlin still made Marlin rifles, I'd be all over a 45-70 Guide Gun. But alas, Marlin is gone, and lives on as a trademark, made by others, and run into the ground.  Henry?  No thank you.  Not my cup of tea.  And these are $1000+ rifles...    Way over priced.

you can find 350 chambered in decent, accurate, hard hitting rifles that work very well at modest prices....
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 8:54:04 AM EDT
[#21]
That list of calibers is a travesty.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 1:31:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By entropy:
That list of calibers is a travesty.
View Quote

The list used to be

1.  Shotgun slug

That was it.  At least these boys can use some fun lever guns now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top