[#1]
For outdoor survival?

Aprilaire or Santa Fe/UltraAire.

Link Posted: 12/1/2023 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#2]
For making a water generator.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 2:13:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Love my Midea Cube, though never though about using it for water. It does have a built in pump, but not sure how well that would work for pushing through a filter. Could pump it to a higher container then let gravity do the rest.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 7:43:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 10:52:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Riter:
View Quote
Not gonna.  I have two dehumidifiers; one for my house; one for my shop office.

You want to dehumidify the air, I'm there.  You want to use a dehumidifier to get water?  You're on your own.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 7:44:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By TomJefferson:

Not a good idea.  That's some nasty water.  It pulls in every contaminants and germs in the air and condenses it.  You could probably in summer get one good flush out of it.   The other issue is if you have electricity to run it, you probably will have running water.   Otherwise, it uses about the same electricity as a refrigerator.  

Good news is it uses the same technology as a refrigerator, all are made overseas, but all of them last like a refrigerator, years.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TomJefferson:
Originally Posted By Riter:

Not a good idea.  That's some nasty water.  It pulls in every contaminants and germs in the air and condenses it.  You could probably in summer get one good flush out of it.   The other issue is if you have electricity to run it, you probably will have running water.   Otherwise, it uses about the same electricity as a refrigerator.  

Good news is it uses the same technology as a refrigerator, all are made overseas, but all of them last like a refrigerator, years.  

You could boil and filter the water. But I agree with TJ not a good idea.  You would be better off with rain water collection, but that is illegal in Colorado.

A good reverse osmosis will also clear it out  but it would probably clog up on the bigger bacteria in the water.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 7:50:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: StromBusa] [#7]
I have a big Frigidaire from Lowes that seems to work great.  Never drank the output though.
I use it in the ultrasonic cleaner for pure water
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 7:36:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been looking at getting one for a while given the summers here are brutally humid. I can't seem to find a model that has better than extremely mixed reviews, especially on durability and longevity. They all seem to last about a season before they clog up, burn up, or just stop working entirely. You'd think designing one would be easy as pie. They are simple devices for the most part. But that's not the case. Even the commercial units get checkered reviews and they are spendy as all get-out. I could really use one in my climate here. I just don't want to have to replace it every other year.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 8:14:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: protus] [#9]
I've got a hisense does 10l at a time.
We use Namco brand at work . They have a pump that'll push 10ft + uphill. But they run around 400  as they aren't box store fare.
Wouldn't drink it. That'd be like drinking your ACs condensation from the drain line.

The extra effort to filter/purify it would be a last ditch effort....but last ditch means no power to run a dehu.

Ymmv

Build a cistern or purchase an in ground storage tank...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top