Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2024 6:28:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: warhorse]
Looking for recommendations for rechargeable batteries with solar charging capabilities. Thanks

For AA, 123a, for NODs, thermal, weapon lights ect
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 6:33:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 6:37:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Solar charging doesn't relate to the rechargeable batteries. It relates to what is used to charge the batteries and how it's powered.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 6:42:17 PM EDT
[#3]
So you can’t recharge rechargeable batteries using a solar charger?
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 7:26:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 7:49:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry for the ignorance. I’m clueless on rechargeable batteries. Thanks for the replies
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 7:52:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:01:35 PM EDT
[#7]
There are so many layers to this I am not sure where to start.

Cheap or expensive high end?

Large or small?

There have been several threads on this in the past year.

You can have a couple small setups with some redundancy for a few hundred bucks but if you're looking to solar charger larger power generators then the game changes.

I was going to post some arfcom thread links, but a live search turns up a dozen plus results.  Archive even more.  Post up more specific requirements and I post what I know and have.

All my stuff is small, portable solar panels to be paired with battery banks for keeping small electronic devices charged.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:44:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, there are many different ways to approach recharging batteries using solar as a power source.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 11:20:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I use AA and AAA batteries.  I have regular Eneloop batteries and they are lasting and working well.  

Need more details as to what you are trying to power and what type of batteries you want to use.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 2:40:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: warhorse] [#10]
I’m looking to charge AAs and 123as in the event of long term power outages. I’ve stockpiled a bunch of lithium batteries but I’m more worried about something long term. Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it

Edited looking to power NODs, weapon lites, thermal, laser ect
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 3:07:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#11]
OP's title and first post are just completely aweful.  People are going to come into this thinking AA's.  When the it looks like he's talking about household level power packs.

FWIW, LiFe is generally the baseline tech for what OP is asking.  They come in various sizes and shapes, ranging from motorcycle and car battery looking packs, to 6-pack ice-chest cooler sized rigs.  I bought one for emergency use.  One space heater will drain a big one in maybe an hour or so.  But the unit can push up to 1000 watts of 115VAC to power things like a fridge or a sump pump on an as-needed basis for a while.

Car technology wouldn't be my top choice as those tend to focus on weight and size; where in your case - safety and deep-cycle and charge retention are going to be more important, which is why most packs he's interested in are LiFe, which tend not to catch on fire, etc.

I'm not an expert and have spent shockingly little time looking into this one.  Consider this a reply while awaiting someone else who knows more about it posts (which may even have already happened by now)

As to AA sized, they do make Li rechargable, which are a mixed bag.  They deliver a solid reliable 1.5A the whole time (most rechargables deliver pretty low A already before they even start to discharge, which is bad for Things That Matter).  But their each-cycle charge-life can be shorter than conventional NiMH.  Be aware that all listed AA sized mAH rates are total lies.  And aren't even cross comparable lies.  They completely make those numbers up.  Don't even look at them.  In fact, the vendor who is listing the lowest mAH of all the ones you are looking at, is probably the only honest one.  The bigger and more fantastical number, the shorter it likely will really be.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 3:18:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
OP's title and first post are just completely aweful.  People are going to come into this thinking AA's.  When the it looks like he's talking about household level power packs.

FWIW, LiFe is generally the baseline tech for what OP is asking.  They come in various sizes and shapes, ranging from motorcycle and car battery looking packs, to 6-pack ice-chest cooler sized rigs.  I bought one for emergency use.  One space heater will drain a big one in maybe an hour or so.  But the unit can push up to 1000 watts of 115VAC to power things like a fridge or a sump pump on an as-needed basis for a while.

Car technology wouldn't be my top choice as those tend to focus on weight and size; where in your case - safety and deep-cycle and charge retention are going to be more important, which is why most packs he's interested in are LiFe, which tend not to catch on fire, etc.

I'm not an expert and have spent shockingly little time looking into this one.  Consider this a reply while awaiting someone else who knows more about it posts (which may even have already happened by now)

As to AA sized, they do make Li rechargable, which are a mixed bag.  They deliver a solid reliable 1.5A the whole time (most rechargables deliver pretty low A already before they even start to discharge, which is bad for Things That Matter).  But their each-cycle charge-life can be shorter than conventional NiMH.  Be aware that all listed AA sized mAH rates are total lies.  And aren't even cross comparable lies.  They completely make those numbers up.  Don't even look at them.  In fact, the vendor who is listing the lowest mAH of all the ones you are looking at, is probably the only honest one.  The bigger and more fantastical number, the shorter it likely will really be.
View Quote

Nah, for AAs, 123a batteries
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:15:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By warhorse:
I’m looking to charge AAs and 123as in the event of long term power outages. I’ve stockpiled a bunch of lithium batteries but I’m more worried about something long term. Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it

View Quote

Forget rechargeable 123 batteries.  If you insist on rechargeable for something that would be similar platforms to 123 batteries, look into 18650 batteries.  

For AA batteries, look into Eneloops.  I've used a lot of rechargeables and the Eneloop batteries have been the best.  

I also use Milwaukee M12 rechargeable batteries for some things.  We have a M12 spotlight and M12 lanterns and they come in handy when the power is out.  I don't charge them from solar though.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 7:21:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 8:46:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#15]
Originally Posted By TomJefferson:
Careful on the Cr 123a rechargeables, many weapons accessories do not recommend them to them having less power.

In regards to what I buy, I typically buy from Amazon whatever has the best ma rating for the best price.   A brand doesn't buy you more amps necessarily.
View Quote

Regular lithium CR123 batteries are about 3.2 volts when full and typically have 1500 mAh or more….usually more. The compatible rechargeable CR123 batteries are typically 450-700 mAh. Some claim a much higher mAh rating but don’t deliver what they claim. Not sure if anyone has tested the various ones on the market or not. Also, some rechargeable 123 type batteries have higher voltages…3.7 typical…..so the higher voltages might damage things.  

Personally, I don’t think rechargeable 123 batteries are generally useful at this time. That may change in the future but for now, I only use the lithium batteries.

There are some impressive AA rechargeable batteries on Amazon…..that don’t last very long. The eneloops don’t have the highest mAh rating you can find….but they last a long time. Meaning many recharging cycles. That’s why so many people recommend them. I’ve used many rechargeable AA brands in the past and now, I only use the white Eneloop batteries. None of the other brands have lasted nearly as many cycles as the Eneloop batteries.

Battery technology is getting better so it’s entirely possible/likely something better than the Eneloop batteries will come out. But, for it to be better it will need to have a higher mAh rating AND last as many recharging cycles as Eneloop batteries.

Some like his channel and some don’t….so YMMV….Project Farm has some good rechargeable battery test videos. What stood out to me the most was Japanese batteries are clearly better than Chinese batteries….although that’s no surprise.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:48:30 AM EDT
[#16]
I will echo the not messing the rechargeable 123.  18650 is the best option if your lights are capable.

I actually just ordered a Streamlight Siege X lantern that uses the 18650.  I have a few different flashlights that use the 18650 and really like them.  I have several other lantern options already, but it was one of the only 18650 I could find that seemed decent and wanted the rechargeable capability while also being able to replace the battery.  

https://www.batteryjunction.com/streamlight-siege-x-rechargeable-lantern-coyote

18650 options are a little pricey (IMO) so I don't EDC them they are stay at home for use there (for me anything more than a $25 light in my pocket I consider pricey.) The main reason I have gotten a few different 18650 options is the usb rechargeable factor.  I can use any one of my portable solar panels to keep a small battery bank charged then charge the 18650 and hopefully have some decent light options in an extended grid down situation.  I also have a decent supply of regular batteries in rotation but refuse to buy any preps I won't actually use during normal times, so I have about reached my storage limit as far as getting them used up through normal rotation.  The 18650 just gives me more options.  I also like that most lights that take the 18650 will also use two 123.  

For AA and AAA rechargeable I also have the eneloop brand.  My second favorite rechargeables are the Tenergy brand you can find at battery junction though I just looked and all the AA ones I have are blue.  I got them several years ago.

I don't have any high-end solar panels or battery banks, just decent deals I got on Amazon.  I don't have any much interest in going crazy with solar, or solar generators so the small portable options sefice for me.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:26:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Charging AA batteries via normal plug in chargers use such little power your generator will never notice the load. Also, you can get AA chargers that plug into a 12v power port (cigarette lighter). I have been using Maha (believe they are now Powerex branded) charger. Charger works with both 12v and 120v with the right cord.

It’s the MH-C204GT on Amazon and comes with both the 120v and the 12v power cords. Works with both AA and AAA batteries. I’ve charged 4 AA batteries overnight off a ATV and had plenty of battery capacity for a cold start in the morning.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:47:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the great info
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:48:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By ColtRifle:
Charging AA batteries via normal plug in chargers use such little power your generator will never notice the load. Also, you can get AA chargers that plug into a 12v power port (cigarette lighter). I have been using Maha (believe they are now Powerex branded) charger. Charger works with both 12v and 120v with the right cord.

It’s the MH-C204GT on Amazon and comes with both the 120v and the 12v power cords. Works with both AA and AAA batteries. I’ve charged 4 AA batteries overnight off a ATV and had plenty of battery capacity for a cold start in the morning.
View Quote

Good suggestion.  I also have AA & AAA chargers with the 12V plug.

Once I started getting a few portable solar panels and battery banks I picked up a little AA & AAA charger that is powered by USB C as well.  Haven't used it yet as I usually use an 8 bank smart charger.

I also have a nitecore universal that I use for the 18650.  Says it will do AA & AAA but I never really had much need to try it for that.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B5B4GY84/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:40:17 AM EDT
[#20]

Regular lithium CR123 batteries are about 3.2 volts when full and typically have 1500 mAh or more….usually more. The compatible rechargeable CR123 batteries are typically 450-700 mAh. Some claim a much higher mAh rating but don’t deliver what they claim. Not sure if anyone has tested the various ones on the market or not. Also, some rechargeable 123 type batteries have higher voltages…3.7 typical…..so the higher voltages might damage things.  

Personally, I don’t think rechargeable 123 batteries are generally useful at this time. That may change in the future but for now, I only use the lithium batteries.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TomJefferson:
Careful on the Cr 123a rechargeables, many weapons accessories do not recommend them to them having less power.

In regards to what I buy, I typically buy from Amazon whatever has the best ma rating for the best price.   A brand doesn't buy you more amps necessarily.

Yup...the RCR123a and 16340 batteries typically have less than half the mAh capacity as the lithium primaries.  The warnings from manufacturers are usually for the fact that a lithium primary (CR123a) is ~3 to 3.2V, RCR123a and 16340s have a nominal voltage of 3.7V with a high ~4.2V.

mm
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:56:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Eneloops are excellent AA and AAA’s.  Have probably 50+, ages vary from 2-6 years old, and have had exactly one crap out and stop taking a charge.  They are just great rechargables.  But I use AA and AAA’s less and less each year at this point…

For 123’s, consider stuff that takes 2x123’s or an 18650 rechargeable,  as 18650’s are better for recharging.  All my new headlamps take them, my weapon lights mostly can use either 123’s or an 18650, and my serious use handheld flashlights use 18650’s.  Guess my pistol lights can only take 123’s though.  Anyhow I would avoid new electronics/lights that only take 123’s, and go for 18650 powered devices if possible.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 9:47:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#23]
So you can’t recharge rechargeable batteries using a solar charger?
View Quote

You definitely can.  We have done it w/ Goal Zero solar panel and a small 4AA battery charger.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 11:29:03 PM EDT
[#24]

Forget rechargeable 123 batteries.  If you insist on rechargeable for something that would be similar platforms to 123 batteries, look into 18650 batteries.  

For AA batteries, look into Eneloops.  I've used a lot of rechargeables and the Eneloop batteries have been the best.  

I also use Milwaukee M12 rechargeable batteries for some things.  We have a M12 spotlight and M12 lanterns and they come in handy when the power is out.  I don't charge them from solar though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

This x 1000
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 6:39:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ROCK6] [#25]
The wife and I are going to do a week of partial “boondocking” next week. We (actually my wife’s) have a small utility/camping trailer (that’s she’s pimping out with a bunch of add-ons), but we’ll be running solar. There’s not water or electric hookups where we’re staying, so it’s mostly primitive.

I have a Bluetti solar charger and 200W panel, and her trailer has a 12V AGM battery with 100W panel; that’s for the bigger stuff like the wife’s heater/AC unit, hot water heater, and fridge/cooler…we are bougie campers without a camper

I’m going to bring my PVS14 and IRay Thermal to play with along with an assortment of flashlights. I plan to play with my Big Blue (28W) and a smaller Suntactics (5 or 8W) for recharging my smaller batteries.

AA, AAA, 14500, 18650, and maybe some RCR123's, but I don't use those outside of a couple of optics a single CR123 flashlights. Just about all of my older two-CR123 battery lights have bene upgraded to li-Ion 16650 batteries. Need to finish packing before Friday, so maybe I'll get a few inventory pics...

ROCK6  
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 6:12:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By thederrick106:
I will echo the not messing the rechargeable 123.  18650 is the best option if your lights are capable.

I actually just ordered a Streamlight Siege X lantern that uses the 18650.  I have a few different flashlights that use the 18650 and really like them.  I have several other lantern options already, but it was one of the only 18650 I could find that seemed decent and wanted the rechargeable capability while also being able to replace the battery.  

https://www.batteryjunction.com/streamlight-siege-x-rechargeable-lantern-coyote

18650 options are a little pricey (IMO) so I don't EDC them they are stay at home for use there (for me anything more than a $25 light in my pocket I consider pricey.) The main reason I have gotten a few different 18650 options is the usb rechargeable factor.  I can use any one of my portable solar panels to keep a small battery bank charged then charge the 18650 and hopefully have some decent light options in an extended grid down situation.  I also have a decent supply of regular batteries in rotation but refuse to buy any preps I won't actually use during normal times, so I have about reached my storage limit as far as getting them used up through normal rotation.  The 18650 just gives me more options.  I also like that most lights that take the 18650 will also use two 123.  

For AA and AAA rechargeable I also have the eneloop brand.  My second favorite rechargeables are the Tenergy brand you can find at battery junction though I just looked and all the AA ones I have are blue.  I got them several years ago.

I don't have any high-end solar panels or battery banks, just decent deals I got on Amazon.  I don't have any much interest in going crazy with solar, or solar generators so the small portable options sefice for me.
View Quote

18350's seem ok if you want a smaller flashlight but I agree 16340's aren't really worth it. I had one of those little Olights and I never trusted the run times on it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 11:26:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Probably an odd run of luck on my part but I'm running into more devices that want a consistent 1.5v and several AAA and AA rechargeables like to operate closer to 1.2-1.25v. The result is I'm getting low battery warnings sooner or as soon as I put batteries in that were charged a week prior and stored, and I'm seeing some devices shut down before the batteries are truly discharged because they need 1.2 or greater voltage.

Anyone seeing any good 1.5v rechargeable AAA/AA to consider?
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 6:52:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Wangstang:
Probably an odd run of luck on my part but I'm running into more devices that want a consistent 1.5v and several AAA and AA rechargeables like to operate closer to 1.2-1.25v. The result is I'm getting low battery warnings sooner or as soon as I put batteries in that were charged a week prior and stored, and I'm seeing some devices shut down before the batteries are truly discharged because they need 1.2 or greater voltage.

Anyone seeing any good 1.5v rechargeable AAA/AA to consider?
View Quote

That’s the voltage rechargeable AA and AAA batteries run at. Some devices don’t like those voltages. I remember some handheld CB radios we had when I was a kid they used something like 6AA batteries but there was a space for a 7th AA battery if you used rechargeable batteries (I think that was the number it used). It used one more AA battery if using rechargeables to bring the voltage up to where the circuitry was happy.

Any device that doesn’t like the lower voltages, just run regular batteries. If you don’t mind the expense, lithium batteries usually work well for those situations.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top