Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2022 10:45:28 PM EDT
Last Saturday it was 110+ with the heat index. I had chores to do so put on my long sleeve shirt and work pants.  All my safety gear. Started cutting up underbrush through my evergreens. After my chores I went inside. Put all those clothes in a pile to be washed (with dawn dish soap). Then took a shower, using dawn dish soap, a lot of it. Ensuring I had 0% of any Urushiol on my skin. Just as I have been doing for the past 20+ ish years. If I know I come in contact, or even close. I throughly go through all these efforts.  Usually also wash my eyeglasses, watch and cell phone in dawn dish soap.

I am covered 40%. I have it from my knees to my neck!  

My tried and trued treatment: I scratch all the irritated blisters open and pour rubbing alcohol on the open hives. Basically dries them out and usually works just fine. Gone in about 4-5 days.

I am on day 5 and it feels like it keeps spreading.  I have washed all sheets. Changed blankets.

Someone please tell me there is some magic way to become immune to poison ivy or alternate treatments.  I do not want to go to a dr and get prescribed prednisone. I like the current shape of my head.  I mean I would give a limb to not be so allergic to the damn plant.

Weirdest thing is I never had a reaction to poison ivy until I was about 17. Now I get it the whole spring summer and fall.

Please and thank you!
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:53:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you shower with cool water when you think you've been exposed?

I've found this seems to help. Hot water opens the pores and makes the exposure worse (my theory).

So if I know I've come in contact with it I shower in cool water with normal bar soap and it seems to help. I'll still get a spot here and there, but not widespread.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:08:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ubelongoutside:
Do you shower with cool water when you think you've been exposed?

I've found this seems to help. Hot water opens the pores and makes the exposure worse (my theory).

So if I know I've come in contact with it I shower in cool water with normal bar soap and it seems to help. I'll still get a spot here and there, but not widespread.
View Quote

I will add that too the list. Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:12:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Might not help now but I saw a youtube video of a guy experimenting with cleaning it off before the rash. His conclusion was that a very wet tericloth towel and firmly wiping off the oils worked best.

Wiping with the cloth was the key, not really the soap.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:28:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By RR_Broccoli:
Might not help now but I saw a youtube video of a guy experimenting with cleaning it off before the rash. His conclusion was that a very wet tericloth towel and firmly wiping off the oils worked best.

Wiping with the cloth was the key, not really the soap.
View Quote

Thank you. I do use a fresh wash cloth each shower.  It’s actually nice scratching it all open. The alcohol part, not so much.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:49:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AKJEFF] [#5]
Tecnu.  My place is covered with poison ivy.  Works well for us.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 12:12:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Vinegar will burn like fire but will dry it out faster than anything else
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 8:53:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Winkychevelle:
Vinegar will burn like fire but will dry it out faster than anything else
View Quote

Might give that a shot. 91% hurts pretty good.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 8:39:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Pvc purple primer. Definitely probably not healthy for the skin, but kills the itch every time for me and my guys. I work in utility right of ways and all my guys get poison ivy a couple times a year. A can of purple primer poured over the affected areas and you are good as new. You are purple, but Good as new.

Im lucky, none of it has ever affected me
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 9:52:37 PM EDT
[#9]
There are some poison ivy extract pills that may build up your immunity to it.

Took them as a kid and it helped alot on how bad I would get it.  Used to get it over 90% of my body and now it's just a little spot here and there.

I also took the hottest shower that I could stand while I had it and stood in the water stream for as long as I could stand the itching.  Would make it not itch for me afterwards and seemed to dry it out after a few days.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 9:08:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I used to get it super bad, like I had a PA tell me “this is the worst case I’ve ever seen, can I share photos with some colleagues” but I’ve only had one mild rash this year.
I still do the cold showers with Dawn routine, but I also eat mangoes and tomatoes more now. That seems to reduce sensitivity, for me at least.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 2:54:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 4HShooter:
Pvc purple primer. Definitely probably not healthy for the skin, but kills the itch every time for me and my guys. I work in utility right of ways and all my guys get poison ivy a couple times a year. A can of purple primer poured over the affected areas and you are good as new. You are purple, but Good as new.

Im lucky, none of it has ever affected me
View Quote

Nice. Not sure if I said it previously above, but I’ve watched guys run wet concrete right in there rashes as we were paving. Dries right out.  I’ll add purple pvc cleaner to my list of things to try.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 3:20:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't forget good old fashioned oral antihistamines. Benadryl  and zyrtec will both knock the edge off and reduce severity.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 3:24:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By AKJEFF:
Tecnu.  My place is covered with poison ivy.  Works well for us.
View Quote

This.
A light coating of Tecnu Ivy Guard on your arms, face, and legs before being exposed helps greatly. Fels Naptha soap soon after exposure will help also. I had a doctor from Doc in the Box tell me you could take up to six Loratadine tablets daily to help dry it up and stop the itching. Taking an Alka Seltzer Nighttime Cold medicine before bed will also help dry it up and will help you sleep.
We took a series of shots at work for a couple of years that were quite effective at preventing breakouts. Of course, the FDA took it off the market.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 3:48:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Another vote for Tecnu.
use as a Pre treatment and decontamination.
I have tried everything bleach gasoline alcohol Lysol hot water soap and even mud.
Nothing has worked as good as the Tecnu ,last time I had to ask for it at the pharmacy.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 4:23:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RodMI] [#15]
Never had it that bad but dabbing liquid dish or hand soap on it takes the itch away . Put it on strait from the bottle and don't wash it off.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 4:26:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Apple Cider Vinegar soak works quite well
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 4:58:13 PM EDT
[#17]
There's some wipes (like for after chicken wings) and a green grainy scrub that I have used after exposure or potential exposure that help tremendously.

the wipes apparently cut the oil.

The scrub is like fine green sand, and basically sands the oil off of your skin.

I'm like you, I can look at it across the yard, and somehow still get a rash even after doing all of the above.

I'll get the names later today.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:34:09 PM EDT
[#18]
All of these home remedies work to a certain extent. The only quick way to get rid of it is to go to the doctor, and get a steroid shot and a prednisone dose pack.
It was an occupational hazard for 30+ years in my telco career and this is really the only way to cure it.
I was good for about three rounds a year. Sweat spreads it but so does walking through the grass wet from morning dew.

I used to be able to just pull it up with my hands with no ill effect. Once I had some fresh cuts on my hands and got the juice in those cuts. It was Katy bar the door after that. I had a co-worker that missed several days of work after getting it in his lungs after breathing the smoke from burning it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 1:59:42 PM EDT
[#19]
By about day 5 I'd be going in for a steroid shot, especially if I thought that it was still spreading
Had that stuff too often as a kid to mess around with it as an adult
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 2:04:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By tc556guy:
By about day 5 I'd be going in for a steroid shot, especially if I thought that it was still spreading
Had that stuff too often as a kid to mess around with it as an adult
View Quote

This.

Also, be careful around mangos, cashews, and pistachios. They are all part of the same plant family, and if you have severe poison ivy reactions, it is possible you will become allergic to these things as well, if you aren’t already.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 2:09:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By DragonGuard:
Another vote for Tecnu.
use as a Pre treatment and decontamination.
I have tried everything bleach gasoline alcohol Lysol hot water soap and even mud.
Nothing has worked as good as the Tecnu ,last time I had to ask for it at the pharmacy.
View Quote

Yep, Tencu helps greatly after exposure, IME.

I did use straight bleach on the PI leaves, kilted them toot sweet.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 7:37:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Jewelweed is a good natural remedy for poison ivy. The sap from jewelweed will neutralize poison ivy if you wipe the sap on exposed skin right away after contacting poison ivy. Jewelweed normally grows in the same areas as poison ivy. Jewelweed is also commonly called Spotted Touch Me Not.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/13/2023 7:48:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By bolster:

This.

Also, be careful around mangos, cashews, and pistachios. They are all part of the same plant family, and if you have severe poison ivy reactions, it is possible you will become allergic to these things as well, if you aren’t already.
View Quote

I get PI bad. Cashews now will give me the itchiest asshole ever from their oils. Can't have them.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:45:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Against-The-Wind] [#24]
I do everything the OP does, whenever my wife can't find the dawn soap she knows to check the shower.

I got it severely this spring, after I cleared an area by a creek in my backyard and turns out I was cutting roots of posion ivy, but the plants had no leaves, which I can normally identify poison ivy leaves from a mile away.

I am extremely allergic, but do well when I wear long pants and sleeves and rarely get it if I'm dressed right.

Every time I get I think that its spreading as I will keep having new areas popping up almost everyday for the first week.  

This caused me to go nuts, as I dont know what I am touching around the house that keeps exposing me.

I have learned that, even though it appears it is spreading or that one is re-exposing themselves, that is actually not the case.

Poison Ivy breaks out at different rates on different parts of the skin and this is what makes it seem like its spreading.

The last time around I waited about a week and a half and then it just stopped, no more breakouts, no more cleaning things with alcohol, no more washing the sheets, it just eventually stops.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 4:22:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Short Poison Ivy Prevention Video

I deal with poison ivy on my land, this is the best thing that has worked for me.  

If I do get a mild outbreak, TecNu Rash Relief spray stops the itching and shortens the healing time.  

Years ago, I carefully cut through a 6” PI vine going up a huge Red Maple along a field edge.  A few weeks later we were walking back there and my wife thought the tree was dying.  Nope, that is all poison ivy way up there.  Made me start itching just thinking about it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 12:07:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Attachment Attached File

This works pretty well. Oral antihistamines before bed help knock down mild cases faster.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 10:50:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By FZJ80:
Short Poison Ivy Prevention Video

I deal with poison ivy on my land, this is the best thing that has worked for me.  

If I do get a mild outbreak, TecNu Rash Relief spray stops the itching and shortens the healing time.  

Years ago, I carefully cut through a 6” PI vine going up a huge Red Maple along a field edge.  A few weeks later we were walking back there and my wife thought the tree was dying.  Nope, that is all poison ivy way up there.  Made me start itching just thinking about it.
View Quote

This advice is a little bit late. I have a very minor outbreak. I am not sure how I got it. This may not have helped for this instance, but I know a ton of PI is on my property.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:50:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Have your doctor prescribe you a prednisone steroid pack. My doctor knew that I was very susceptible to poison ivy so he made sure I had one on hand as soon as it started and got me a refill for the next time. By day two or three it would be drying up and going away.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 1:41:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By BuckMan123:
Have your doctor prescribe you a prednisone steroid pack. My doctor knew that I was very susceptible to poison ivy so he made sure I had one on hand as soon as it started and got me a refill for the next time. By day two or three it would be drying up and going away.
View Quote

The long term side effects of prednisone are horrendous. Give you a weird shaped head. I get PI 2-3x a year.

It does knock it out very fast

I got a deer Sunday and acquired another bout of PI.

I have it so bad I opted for the roid pack.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 1:52:46 PM EDT
[#30]
My wife always rubbed the lesions with cotton balls soaked in isopropyl alcohol or witch hazel. She said it allowed her to itch it without breaking the skin or spreading it. She also believed it dissolved the plant oils and carried them away with the cotton balls, as well as drying out the skin to make it less tender and reactive.

There used to be a product called Stokoguard (not sure on the spelling) that was a heavy cream you could apply to skin before exposure. Then when finished working near or being around poison ivy, shower to wash it away along with the contamination. I tried to Google it but came up empty.

I am one of the fortunate few who simply isn't allergic to either poison ivy or poison oak, which is good because they might as well be our state plants here. My downfall is watermelon and grass allergies.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 3:44:41 PM EDT
[#31]
I got lucky and was born immune.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 4:30:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rigian] [#32]
Poison Ivy is basically like invisible Pine sap. If you have ever gotten a lot of pine sap on your hands you know how hard it is to get it off. You should treat poison ivy the same way. If you are able to get it off within an hour you should be fine. But most people don't realize how much effort is needed to really rub it off. Any tiny bit left will cause the reaction.

I've had crazy reactions to poison ivy. It's actually your body that is causing the reaction to the poison. Once you have the oil from the poison ivy off of you it can not cause any further reaction but your body may over respond and cause boils in other areas of the body. Especially if you have had poison ivy a few times in the past.

For physical treatment of the weeping ive hand really good luck with the arm and hammer medicated foot powder. It has a really nice cooling effect. I rub it in really good.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 4:35:21 PM EDT
[#33]
One of the troubles with the remedy's here is that different have different levels of tolerance and sensitivity so what works well for one guy may not be worth shit for someone else.

I also expect there might be different varieties of the demon weed itself.

I know if it is hot enough to sweat I seem to get it much worse.

I used to work for a land surveyor and compared to all the rest of the field crew I got off easy most of the time. Any time I knew I had got into it If I showered carefully with strong soap and only used the towel once I got off pretty easy. I would get lumps and rash but if I left it alone for a day it would stop itching. To reduce the itching I would use regular Right Guard sport in the original brown can . It's mostly alcohol and would dry things out and cool the itch.

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 5:12:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Rigian:
Poison Ivy is basically like invisible Pine sap. If you have ever gotten a lot of pine sap on your hands you know how hard it is to get it off. You should treat poison ivy the same way. If you are able to get it off within an hour you should be fine. But most people don't realize how much effort is needed to really rub it off. Any tiny bit left will cause the reaction.

I've had crazy reactions to poison ivy. It's actually your body that is causing the reaction to the poison. Once you have the oil from the poison ivy off of you it can not cause any further reaction but your body may over respond and cause boils in other areas of the body. Especially if you have had poison ivy a few times in the past.

For physical treatment of the weeping ive hand really good luck with the arm and hammer medicated foot powder. It has a really nice cooling effect. I rub it in really good.
View Quote

Sometimes it's black and tarry, exactly like pine sap. Beware that shit.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 5:56:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Just so you know, ripping open the blisters does nothing.

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 6:56:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AK47_COMMBLOC] [#36]
alot of youtube videos show hillbillies and old timers swearing that eating 1 or 2 leaves rolled up in a small bit of bread and swallowed cures it for at least 1 year to the point of total immunity. check it out. swallow as a pill or bread ball every spring once a year is the claim. ive not tried it and may have to if i get it again.

in the past ive had it yearly so bad what worked for me was scraping wounds open with razor blade and rubbing off the oily urishol residue with bleach. being careful to keep using a fresh paper towel soaked in bleach. last couple paper towels soaked in alcohol. that made it scab over and stop itching and spreading.

i get it so easily ive actually contacted it off of my shoes and couch cushions months after being indoors far from it in the winter. now when i see it i either stay away or remove it with a shovel. ive not had it in about 10 years which is really amazing.

one plant thats just now blooming and easy to find is goldenrod. goldenrod leaves boiled in water dried out my atheletes foot for days and is said to dry out poison ivy also. its good for alot of stuff like kidneys so i just started picking some and noticed its all over just about any open field has it. i just picked a 2nd batch couple days ago. you might check that out.

eating oats or oatmeal helps numb the itch alot and showering does also.
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 8:18:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By FredMan:
Just so you know, ripping open the blisters does nothing.

View Quote

Explanation?

If I have a small enough rash, it is easily contained by doing said method, and applying 91% alcohol.

Link Posted: 10/9/2023 7:16:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Trod7308:

Explanation?

If I have a small enough rash, it is easily contained by doing said method, and applying 91% alcohol.

View Quote

The only think you are doing with that method is opening a wound and cleaning it. But now it's an open wound that can be infected. Best to keep it closed. If it does open or start weeping, keep it clean and help it dry out. Like I said, I use the  arm and hammer extra strength medicated foot powder because it has a nice cooling effect as well.

If it starts getting worse go to a doc for an anti histamine and steroid shot.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 8:08:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By AK47_COMMBLOC:
alot of youtube videos show hillbillies and old timers swearing that eating 1 or 2 leaves rolled up in a small bit of bread and swallowed cures it for at least 1 year to the point of total immunity. check it out. swallow as a pill or bread ball every spring once a year is the claim. ive not tried it and may have to if i get it again.

in the past ive had it yearly so bad what worked for me was scraping wounds open with razor blade and rubbing off the oily urishol residue with bleach. being careful to keep using a fresh paper towel soaked in bleach. last couple paper towels soaked in alcohol. that made it scab over and stop itching and spreading.

i get it so easily ive actually contacted it off of my shoes and couch cushions months after being indoors far from it in the winter. now when i see it i either stay away or remove it with a shovel. ive not had it in about 10 years which is really amazing.

one plant thats just now blooming and easy to find is goldenrod. goldenrod leaves boiled in water dried out my atheletes foot for days and is said to dry out poison ivy also. its good for alot of stuff like kidneys so i just started picking some and noticed its all over just about any open field has it. i just picked a 2nd batch couple days ago. you might check that out.

eating oats or oatmeal helps numb the itch alot and showering does also.
View Quote

Those same hillbillies think drinking a shot of diesel will cure ailments too.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 8:09:46 AM EDT
[#40]

Explanation?

View Quote

By the time the blisters appear you should have washed off the oil. Pus from blisters does not cause spread, only the oil causes spread.

Ripping open blisters can lead to infection and scars.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 4:16:59 PM EDT
[#41]
I have had poison ivy from Oct 4-present.

3 rounds of prednisone.

It keeps coming back.

I think this time around it is finally dying down.

Link Posted: 11/17/2023 6:57:34 PM EDT
[#42]
I have had poison ivy from Oct 4-present.

3 rounds of prednisone.

It keeps coming back.

I think this time around it is finally dying down.

View Quote

There are alternatives to prednisone, at this point I would think your Dr would want to give them a try.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 7:17:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Shoes/boots and laces, door handles, basically anything can transfer the oil.

If you've got it on your twig and berries or other sensitive spots, go to the ER, they can give you a steroid shot that will clear it up in a few days.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 8:00:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RodMI] [#44]
Dish Soap put it on like a salve until gone but 40% is a lot I would try it but not shire if you should.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 3:46:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By RodMI:
Dish Soap put it on like a salve until gone but 40% is a lot I would try it but not shire if you should.
View Quote

I use Dawn dish soap exclusively for showering lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top