Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2024 4:31:52 PM EDT
Any suggestions for a packable day pack?

I have a trip overseas and plan to do several day hikes, 1-3 miles, and explore some towns so I'd like to throw some snacks and a water bottle or two into a pack. Bonus points for water bladder capable.

Current front runner is the MR In and Out 22

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 7:08:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Pardon my stupid but... "packable day pack?" Isn't that what you do with a day pack? You pack it and take it out for a day.
Or maybe you pack it along with you.

I'm so confused...
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:25:40 PM EDT
[#2]
rei flash 18 - weighs about 10 ounces and <$50 especially watch for the May sales usually -30%
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 10:05:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FrankSymptoms:
Pardon my stupid but... "packable day pack?" Isn't that what you do with a day pack? You pack it and take it out for a day.
Or maybe you pack it along with you.

I'm so confused...
View Quote

Probably something you can ball up and stuff into a bigger pack. Frameless, minimal padding, etc.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 8:45:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By ME2112:

Probably something you can ball up and stuff into a bigger pack. Frameless, minimal padding, etc.
View Quote

Ahhh, I see now.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 8:57:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Osprey makes a line of lightweight packs like that; I believe Vertx does now as well.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:09:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Check around for the brain from an Osprey Aether/Ariel series pack, they convert into a small summit pack. A lot of people don’t use them.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 12:58:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Yep, a pack I can ball up and throw in the bottom of another backpack.

I have a travel backpack with meds, cables, pens, etc. and need something that is empty to throw some water bottles into and do some light hiking.

Thanks for the suggestions. Currently really liking the In and Out 21 by Mystery Ranch, but the shoulder straps make me nervous with how unpadded they are..
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 1:11:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:08:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By rippr334:
Any suggestions for a packable day pack?

I have a trip overseas and plan to do several day hikes, 1-3 miles, and explore some towns so I'd like to throw some snacks and a water bottle or two into a pack. Bonus points for water bladder capable.

Current front runner is the MR In and Out 22

Thoughts?
View Quote
I almost got one of those, but i ended up with the Galigator for about 20 bucks less.I am very happy with it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:47:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I used a Sea to Summit silnylon pack for that last year. For a liter of water, sweatshirt, and lunch it’s fine. More than that, the straps get annoying.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:35:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By zercool:
I used a Sea to Summit silnylon pack for that last year. For a liter of water, sweatshirt, and lunch it’s fine. More than that, the straps get annoying.
View Quote

The straps seem to be where these style of packs skimp the most.

I settled on the 21 sized packed from MR due to it having a side pocket that will hold a 40oz insulated bottle. Of course, being so light, I'll have to see how that screws up the balance.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:00:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Any updates on this OP ?
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By XM21Nick:
Any updates on this OP ?
View Quote

Ended up with the MR In and Out 22. It packs up quite small and can hold a water bottle in the side pocket. Gonna start doing laps with it soon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top