Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2023 8:04:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thederrick106]
Wife and I fell into an amazing deal this fall and got our first camper.  2018 Crossroads Sunset Trail Super Lite 200.

In like new condition and used very little.  Older couple used it as a bedroom while they had their camp rebuilt.  Was only towed from the dealership to their property.  water systems, gray water, black water had never been used.  According to them it was winterized and unused while they had it...

Well, me being me got it home and figured it best to pump some rv antifreeze into the system and I quickly found a few leaks which I have since fixed.
New pump, new toilet valve, another external plug for air or wash hose and everything is fixed except the hot water heater.  Going to tackle that in the spring, pull it out take it apart and hopefully have the aluminum tank welded.  If that doesn't work, I will install a new one.  Originally, I was a bit frustrated but even with the repairs I did, and have to do, we made out well.  The sellers probably never even realized that when they bought it, it was not winterized and because they never used it, never realized their error.

We have been ground tent or tent trailer campers and this is as big as I would ever want for our uses while we both still have to work full time.  We will still tent camp several times a year but it's going to be nice to have our campground setup always ready to go.  We are not looking to cross the country or live in it, just hit up local campgrounds in a 2 or 3 hour radius for extended weekends.

My truck is a 2017 Nissan Titan.  Towes very smooth and with ease.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/4/2023 8:05:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 8:11:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a weight distribution hitch and wash the roof twice a year. Check the sealant after every trip. Enjoy!
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 8:13:11 PM EDT
[#3]
This is our 2020 Coachmen Apex Nano 187RB with the outfitter and off grid packages.  
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/4/2023 8:29:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thederrick106] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dopple:
Get a weight distribution hitch and wash the roof twice a year. Check the sealant after every trip. Enjoy!
View Quote

While I have only towed it a little bit and on meandering / hilly back roads it seems to pull fine.  I don't plan on any highway trips and if I do, I will consider one.

I got a solid shank hitch to match height, so it sits level.

Truck is rated at 9230.
Trailers GVRW is 6800 and 3966 dry.

While I know its apples and oranges, I grew up working excavation and towing mini excavators, tractors all behind various vehicles on equipment trailers.  I am sure equipment trailers have a stiffer and lower stance to them, but I am used to taking my time.

What do you use to wash the roof with?  And more details on checking the sealant would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!  

I am not new to working on or fixing stuff and can probably repair any issue or problem on my own but am new to owning a real camper.  I am comfortable working on plumbing, electrical, axles, can rebuild motors, weld etc.

Just in fixing the few issues I outlined in my OP I learned more about where everything is on it and how it functions than I planned too!

I appreciate all suggestions and tips.  I prefer arfcom to modern social media.

Link Posted: 12/4/2023 8:30:02 PM EDT
[#5]
This is our 2020 Coachmen Apex Nano 187RB with the outfitter and off grid packages.  
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/334993/IMG_5476_jpeg-3049604.JPG
View Quote

Very nice!
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 11:08:28 PM EDT
[#6]
The sway control part of the wdh is good for safety, too. Plus, it distributes more weight to your front axle to improve braking and steering. Ours is 3800 gross, Jeep is rated for 7200.  

good video to watch
The Difference Between Using Weight Distribution and Air Bags to Level Your Load

We use Best rubber roof cleaner, also has a uv inhibitor.  The sealant is slathered all over everything mounted to the roof. It's usually Dicor brand self leveling lap sealant. It's not very durable, and adheres better than fun-tak.  So, anywhere you see it on the roof, just make sure screw heads, or other bits aren't poking thru. You can clean it with denatured alcohol before adding more if needed. When I upgraded our solar from 1x100w panel, to 4x100w panels, I had to peel that stuff off the mounting brackets, power ingress, etc. wasn't that difficult.

Also, get tire covers.  Sunlight will age tires faster, so if you keep them covered, they'll last longer.  We've done so many upgrades to ours, it's ridiculous.  Even added sumo springs since we're always at max weight. Only about 430lbs of cargo capacity, which doesn't include anything that wasn't on the trailer when it left the factory.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 11:09:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Our longest trip with it was about 2500 miles. NY to OH to GA to FL to SC to PA to home.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 11:23:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Our longest trip with it was about 2500 miles. NY to OH to GA to FL to SC to PA to home.
View Quote

Thats a haul! We don't have any long trips planned for the camper.  100 or so miles max.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 8:54:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks like a great camper.

-Great deal
-You know how to do basic maintenance
-Already have the tow vehicle

The trifecta of a happy and excited new camper owner.

Enjoy!!!  I do love going camping, too.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 10:37:09 PM EDT
[#10]
What part of NY are you in?  We're in Ontario county.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 10:52:17 AM EDT
[#11]
What part of NY are you in?  We're in Ontario county.
View Quote

E$$ex county.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 11:32:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Thank god there are no blue geese wall paper or curtains. Looks nice.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 9:24:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By thederrick106:

E$$ex county.
View Quote
Oh, way down there.  Found this shirt when camping a few years ago..

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/9/2023 9:24:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By cmc201:
View Quote
But is he going to add upside down pineapples or pink flamingos!?
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 4:21:02 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cmc201:

I prefer these:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 4:22:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thederrick106] [#16]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/334993/IMG_3950_jpeg-3054231.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

E$$ex county.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/334993/IMG_3950_jpeg-3054231.JPG

Way down?  North east of 0ntario!

ETA/ less than 100 miles to the northern border on the east side.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 12:21:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Way down?  North east of 0ntario!

ETA/ less than 100 miles to the northern border on the east side.
View Quote
Oh, i got confused then.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 12:29:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Shoulda used the other mapping app. So you may have been to this place on rt 11
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/10/2023 12:58:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Shoulda used the other mapping app. So you may have been to this place on rt 11
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/334993/IMG_3951_jpeg-3055374.JPG
View Quote

I haven't been across rt 11 in ages.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 8:17:46 PM EDT
[#20]

I haven't been across rt 11 in ages.
View Quote
You really need to get out more.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 9:56:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Since you and Dopple are both in NY, is there any Dealers that you might visit? avoid?
I'm seriously considering a Travel Trailer, and I've got a HD 3/4 ton Truck...I have skills and experience enough to effect repairs, but I don't want to rebuild the damn thing...
What do you mean by checking the sealing?'
Kust like a Boat, keeping them covered under a carport or in a building greatly extends their life and serviceability.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 11:38:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By fp1201:
Since you and Dopple are both in NY, is there any Dealers that you might visit? avoid?
I'm seriously considering a Travel Trailer, and I've got a HD 3/4 ton Truck...I have skills and experience enough to effect repairs, but I don't want to rebuild the damn thing...
What do you mean by checking the sealing?'
Kust like a Boat, keeping them covered under a carport or in a building greatly extends their life and serviceability.
View Quote

I don't have any suggestions on dealers.  I bought mine private party and haven't ever dealt with any RV or camper trailer dealers.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:15:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Snow is finally gone in my AO!  Have a few things to finish up around the house over the next few days then I am going to pull the hot water heater and see about having the aluminum tank welded or decide if I need to get a new one.

If I do end up replacing it any thoughts about tank vs tankless?  If I go the replacement route it will be propane only, so I don't need to dig into the wiring and update the control panel.  99% of my camping will be places without hookups anyways.

First camping trip planned for June!
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:06:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Got the new on demand hot water heater installed.  Works well.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:19:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Leveled in the driveway after pulling each wheel; checked and greased the wheel bearings.  Washing, cleaning and getting everything setup for the season.  Also becoming familiar with it and putting all my repairs and everything else to the test before we are away from home.  Another wash and hand waxing at some point in the next few weeks.  Have to do my truck too.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Our 2300 watt (peak) inverter generator runs the AC unit as long as nothing else is turned on!  I didn't take any pictures, but I got my 110W portable solar panel wired up for the quick connect Furion plug that the trailer already had.  Should help keep the 12V battery topped off for our weekends away from 120V.  Not even sure I will bring the generator but it's nice to know it can run the AC if we want.

Attachment Attached File

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top