Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2024 5:06:51 PM EDT
For someone new to the RV life, what things would you warn me to be prepared for and what tools would you recommend having on hand?

Right now, 10 years away from retirement, we're thinking it will be a travel trailer pulled behind SUV or one ton truck for a year or two checking out the country.

By most accounts these things encounter issues along the journey.  I'm no mechanic by any stretch but have been known to get myself from immobile to limping in a pinch.

Take me to school, funny stories welcomed!
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 6:41:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Hav the wheel bearings greased, I burned up a set …
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:31:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Keeping weight in mind, if something breaks, 2 is 1 and 1 is not enough.

Spare tire and a decent tool kit have been primary tools for resolution of emergency.

When you have a flat, you use the spare and that leaves to open to being shut down without an extra.

My CO/propane detector failed on a trip, so tools kept me from that incessant chirp.

Spare hoses and water filters

Anode rod for WH

The above suggestion about greasing axles is a great idea. I do it every year and rotate the spare into running. It gives you a good chance to check the tires as well for damage.

There are so many things, I can’t even think right now. I’m sure others more experienced will chime in with great suggestions
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 9:26:48 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks fellas, tires/axel definitely on the list of concerns.  My mom did some RV-in with her boyfriend after they retired and had tire AND axel issues.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 9:36:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Tires, Tires, Tires

Get good tires for the trailer, I have been using GoodYear Endurance, they track well, wear well, US made, good quality.

Pay attention to your tire pressures.  Should be a sticker on the trailer somewhere.  

Watch the wear on the tires.  If you start to see an edge wear, you have a problem to look at.

Consider a tire minder set, but not necessary.  

Check your spare and make sure it is not flat

Trailers sit a lot, so the tires get a different abuse than car tires.  Check the date code on your tires, every 4-5 years, I would replace them.  I do.  

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:18:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I keep a few sharkbite unions and end caps in case of a plumbing issue. Some rubber rubber roof repair tape in case of a falling branch in the campground.  Digital multimeter, electrical tape, zip ties etc. I have an RV Vivair compressor and a 125 piece toolkit in the truck.

So far, I have not anything break, just a couple things that needed to be tightened.

We have a 2020 Winnebago 2500fl travel trailer and use it from April to November with the longest trip being Kentucky to Yellowstone and back.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 12:11:23 PM EDT
[#6]
After a flat last summer on the original China bombs, I replaced all 4 tires and both spares with the Goodyear Endurance and bought THIS tpms.

Make sure you get metal stems when you get the tires replaced as they are required by this system.

When the China bomb blew, it damaged the undercarriage and siding a little, so be proactive on tires
Attachment Attached File

I had rotated the tires the trip before the one this happened on and all tires were fine.
When I took them off to be replaced, every tire was warped and out of round, including the spare I had used
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 12:18:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Two spare tires
Ramp to change tire without jack
Jack(s)
Water pressure regulator
Spare cord end, 30/50A receptacle
Spare fuses
Roof sealant
Water hose, washer, repair
Sewer supplies

Many more but having RV supplies covers an emergency to wait until we get home.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 5:01:33 PM EDT
[#8]
oookay, so tires will be an early potential upgrade lol.  Thanks for the feedback all, much appreciated!
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 5:02:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lizARdman15:
After a flat last summer on the original China bombs, I replaced all 4 tires and both spares with the Goodyear Endurance and bought THIS tpms.

Make sure you get metal stems when you get the tires replaced as they are required by this system.

When the China bomb blew, it damaged the undercarriage and siding a little, so be proactive on tires
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/58321/IMG_4435_jpeg-3179891.JPG
I had rotated the tires the trip before the one this happened on and all tires were fine.
When I took them off to be replaced, every tire was warped and out of round, including the spare I had used
View Quote

fuuuuuuuuu-dge
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top