Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2024 11:37:36 PM EDT
A question for those of you that have frequented a number of midwestern OHV/ATV parks…..

My three sons (ages 17, 15 and 10) and I are just getting into trail riding on our Kawasaki dirt bikes.  This summer we’d like to do 2-3 combo camping/riding trips per month.  I know that a number of the OHV/ATV parks offer campsites.  Do you know of any that specifically offer lakeside/riverside camping?  

We did a trip to Oregon a couple summers ago and stayed at a VRBO on the Willamette River.  The boys absolutely loved splashing around/swimming in the river in the evening after our days activities.  I’d like to replicate that set-up after a day’s trail riding if possible.  

I’m looking for places within a 7-10 hour radius of Chicago.

Thanks ya’ll!
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:17:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out Silver Dunes area in Michigan, near Ludington. Right on Lake Michigan, and I believe they have camping there also.

Friend of ours lives near Harrison, MI, and there are many miles of trails to ride in that area on state ground. The Muskegon River goes through the area, and we’re always seeing people camping along the River when we’re riding the trail. You’ll need a generator if you want power.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 8:17:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NotMrWizard:
Check out Silver Dunes area in Michigan, near Ludington. Right on Lake Michigan, and I believe they have camping there also.
View Quote

Silver Lake? That place is awesome, and the surrounding area is just as nice.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 8:30:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aod886] [#3]
Wayne National Forest OHV trails in Ohio.

Camping is permitted anywhere on the trail system. Plenty of small lakes in the area. But not at the trail heads.

Multiple days of trail riding.  And the closest town, Nelsonville is ATV friendly. Also New Straitsville,  at the northern tip.

Around a 7 hour drive from the Chicago area.

Wayne National Forest OHV

The link states around 75 miles of trails. There's actually ~100 miles.  

Trails are currently closed for the season. Open from mid April thru mid Dec.  Also, 50" restricted.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:18:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all the suggestions, folks.  Will dig into these options post haste!   : )
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:49:08 PM EDT
[#5]
This Michigan campground has a pond and pool with OHV trail access. Whiskey Creek Campground
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top