BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 18
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 5:07:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rich_V:

Only if Metronidazole doesn't work first.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NotIssued:

Clindamycin also leads the list for causing C.diff.

..... and we're back to Vanc ...

But if you prescribe Metro, you can't go drinking with your patients afterward.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 5:13:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By MK262:

View All Quotes

Clindamycin also leads the list for causing C.diff.

..... and we're back to Vanc ...

Once I got the bill for the vanco I'll need that drink.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 7:10:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mr_Psmith] [#3]

For MRSA clindamycin resistance is an issue.
From IDSA guidlines - Practice Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Management of Skin and Soft-Tissue Infections

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mr_Psmith:
My wife informed me that if I am going to be an asshole that I had to do some teaching. This is fair, although i genuinely hope to have helped with respect to the advice to be careful to countermand those who have BTDT, because as you will learn there are many critical bits of practice wisdom not written any book, which is why to this day the apprenticeship model of medical training remains. So i am here to give feedback on the original post, not just the meta-feedback i previously discussed. However when I returned to the thread tonight TheGrayMan has covered many of the points I wished to cover. Let me then add this about aminoglycosides (I'll just say gentamicin for this class generically). It is absolutely right that they have phenomenal gram negative coverage.

HOWEVER
With great power comes great responsibility. Since the thread is about stocking up for emergencies I absolutely cannot advocate the use of gentamicin. In fact, the risks of renal and otological injury are so real that even in a controlled hospital environment we reserve it for very specific circumstances. Those are: life threatening sepsis that is or is suspected to be gram negative and is not responding to Cefepime, pip/tazo, or a carbapenem; and Tularemia. That's basically it* Without access to fast turnaround creatinine and gentamicin drug levels I would not use this agent. Some are more cavalier, but it is easy to get into trouble.

If one were to stock up on a parenteral agent with broad gram negative coverage, i guess it should be pip/tazo or Cefepime.

Keeping with the theme of the thread, my recommendation for additional agent to stock up on is a toss up between doxy as TheGrayMan said, or Bactrim DS.

Best of luck to you.

*clearly I simplifying a tad, for example CF patients often get gentamicin , or inhaled tobramicin on admission with exacerbation but these types of circumstances are very narrow and specialized

can I ask why Bactrim vs clinda?  Personally, I use clinda more for UTI and SSTI's, but that tends to be personal preference. Plus, risk of SJS with bactrim (as well as sulfa allergies).  Agree with doxy; I have probably 100 tabs of it floating around (thank you, malaria prophylaxis). I would also suggest cipro or similar for anerobic coverage, especially GI bugs, which probably will be quite common if SHTF.

For the record, I'm a practicing physician, but only completed my intern year (we can talk offline if you really want). Suffice to say, I'm practicing about the level of an IM R-2.  Scary, huh?

For MRSA clindamycin resistance is an issue.
From IDSA guidlines - Practice Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Management of Skin and Soft-Tissue Infections

Emerging antibiotic resistance among Staphylococcus aureus (methicillin resistance) and Streptococcus pyogenes (erythromycin resistance) are problematic, because both of these organisms are common causes of a variety of skin and soft-tissue infections and because empirical choices of antimicrobials must include agents with activity against resistant strains. Minor skin and soft-tissue infections may be empirically treated with semi-synthetic penicillin, first-generation or second-generation oral cephalosporins, macrolides, or clindamycin (A-I); however, 50% of methicillin resistant S. aureus (MRSA) strains have inducible or constitutive clindamycin resistance [2] (table 1).

Most community-acquired MRSA strains remain susceptible to trimethoprim sulfamethoxazole and tetracycline, though treatment failure rates of 21% have been reported in some series with doxycycline or minocycline [3].

Another reason is that in TSHTF scenarios, common things are still common, and Bactrim is a nice choice in case your lady gets UTI (assuming you already stocked cipro which IIRC was the premise a few pages back)

Eta: apparently my iPad autocorrects cipro to 'coprocessor'
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 9:11:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Another reason is that in TSHTF scenarios, common things are still common, and Bactrim is a nice choice in case your lady gets UTI (assuming you already stocked cipro which IIRC was the premise a few pages back)

View Quote

That's OK. I just realized I wrote "clinda for UTI and SSTI" when I usually go with cipro for UTI's.  Oops happens.

I should probably get the nomograms for my region; just moved to this area about 3 months ago.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 12:46:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#5]
When I get UTI's I usually just nipple a chunk off a Hexamine tab for a day or two...

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 2:28:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Just wanted to post in here and give a quick thanks to everyone has added information/links/further reading in this thread. Finally got the chance to read through it all, and this is probably the most informative thread on the topic on any of the survival forums.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:23:02 PM EDT
[#7]

That's OK. I just realized I wrote "clinda for UTI and SSTI" when I usually go with cipro for UTI's.  Oops happens.

I should probably get the nomograms for my region; just moved to this area about 3 months ago.
View All Quotes

get a bottle of D-Mannose for UTI's.  It's basically a sugar that can't be digested and keeps bacteria in the urethra from sticking to the walls and flushes it out with the urine.  It works and in some cases better than anti biotics.  Better to try that first than build up a resistance to the antibiotics.

just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:31:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:18:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I just want to thank everybody that contributed to this thread, especially all the professionals in the medical field.  I just recently stumbled upon it and read the whole thing from the beginning.

I think antibiotics are an often overlooked and taken for granted prep item.  If you look throughout human history, I suspect more people may have died from infections pre 20th century than through starvation or exposure which are things we commonly prep for in food and fuel.

Definitely worth having on hand and better to have an not need than to need and not have.

Cheers!
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:53:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:

A quick google-search shows a bunch of Alt-Med sites ballyhooing the "benefits" of D-mannose, but  nobody seems to know the correct dose, and nobody is willing to state that it's for TREATMENT of UTIs.  They say it might work as a PREVENTATIVE in some cases... but that's as far as they'll go.  

Let's stick to evidence-based stuff, shall we?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bdkeg:

get a bottle of D-Mannose for UTI's.  It's basically a sugar that can't be digested and keeps bacteria in the urethra from sticking to the walls and flushes it out with the urine.  It works and in some cases better than anti biotics. Better to try that first than build up a resistance to the antibiotics.

just my 2 cents.

A quick google-search shows a bunch of Alt-Med sites ballyhooing the "benefits" of D-mannose, but  nobody seems to know the correct dose, and nobody is willing to state that it's for TREATMENT of UTIs.  They say it might work as a PREVENTATIVE in some cases... but that's as far as they'll go.  

Let's stick to evidence-based stuff, shall we?

evidence-based?  It's always worked for my wife multiple times for whatever it's worth without the side effects of taking antibiotics all the time.  Doctor recommended it to her given the chronic UTIs.  Granted it only works for e.coli infections...

"Up to half of all women will have some experience with a urinary tract infection. The main culprit in these infections is Escherichia coli(E.coli). This is the bacteria responsible for about 90% of all UTIs(reference 2). E.coli is a normal bacteria found in the gastrointestinal system but it does not belong in the urinary tract. Overgrowth of E.coli in the urinary system will lead to an infection. D-mannose specifically rids the body of E.coli. The results of a Pub Med study done at NIH indicate that D-mannose can significantly reduce bacteria in the urine within one day of use. If you are suffering from a UTI D-mannose can effectively be used as a natural antibiotic against E.coli"

"D-mannose is best used to treat UTIs when taken orally. You should take ½ teaspoon every two hours for an active infection. Drink eight to ten glasses of water a day when taking D-mannose for a UTI to increase flushing through the bladder and urinary tract."

Don't be so quick to discredit natural remedies...

http://www.livestrong.com/article/125096-benefits-d-mannose/

studies have been done regarding treatment/prevention
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23633128
http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT01808755
http://www.thorne.com/altmedrev/.fulltext/13/3/227.pdf

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:36:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#11]
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 9:26:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow this thread is daunting. Is there a TLDR version for those of us who may not necessarily need all the science and pharmacology? Like a list of the 5 or 6 best antibiotics to look for? Prep Meds For Dummies?

Sorry if this has been asked and answered. I'm still wading through the thread.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 9:40:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By LCDR_Data:
Wow this thread is daunting. Is there a TLDR version for those of us who may not necessarily need all the science and pharmacology? Like a list of the 5 or 6 best antibiotics to look for? Prep Meds For Dummies?

View Quote

The TLDR version is that antibiotic usage is complex and nuanced. If you are not able or willing to devote the time to study appropriate usage scenarios (and there is nothing wrong with that), then it is best to have an experienced guide (I.e. physician) available for consultation.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 9:49:52 PM EDT
[#14]

The TLDR version is that antibiotic usage is complex and nuanced. If you are not able or willing to devote the time to study appropriate usage scenarios (and there is nothing wrong with that), then it is best to have an experienced guide (I.e. physician) available for consultation.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LCDR_Data:

OK, yes. I agree. But that doesn't exactly speak to the survival/prepper vibe this thread started with. I'm sure everyone would love to bring a doctor or pharmacist along with them to the end of the world, but that isn't very practical.

Are you suggesting there are no practical preps for antibiotics? I admit I have only a layman's grasp of the subject but that is hard to believe.
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 8:06:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 10:01:25 PM EDT
[#16]
My personal recommendations are back on page 2
View Quote

Saw them. Thank you.
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 11:24:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Three and a half years, 23 pages, and nobody's yet mentioned the most basic antibiotic.  Heat.  If you get an infected cut just dunk it in the hottest water you can stand a few times a day.  It'll be gone in no time.  I got some road rash on the side of my leg a few years ago.  Soaked a small towel in hot water, put it in a clean plastic bag so it didn't leak all over, and laid it across the leg.  Never took an AB and no nasties took hold in the wound.  Don't even have a scar now.  I definitely would have gone to a doctor if that wasn't enough though.  Obviously this only works on surface infections but the same concept is why your body runs a fever.

Don't forget to tailor your meds to expected needs.  My most likely SHTF scenario is river flooding, so I'm going to get a bunch of Flagyl for the gut parasites.  I'm also one of those lucky guys who's allergic to penicillin, amoxicillin, AND sulfa.  Doxy and erythromycin for me.  Maybe some diflucan, cipro, and levaquin.  I think that covers everything.
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 11:40:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Nodak_Cruffler:
Three and a half years, 23 pages, and nobody's yet mentioned the most basic antibiotic.  Heat.  If you get an infected cut just dunk it in the hottest water you can stand a few times a day.  It'll be gone in no time.  I got some road rash on the side of my leg a few years ago.  Soaked a small towel in hot water, put it in a clean plastic bag so it didn't leak all over, and laid it across the leg.  Never took an AB and no nasties took hold in the wound.  Don't even have a scar now.  I definitely would have gone to a doctor if that wasn't enough though.  Obviously this only works on surface infections but the same concept is why your body runs a fever.

Don't forget to tailor your meds to expected needs.  My most likely SHTF scenario is river flooding, so I'm going to get a bunch of Flagyl for the gut parasites.  I'm also one of those lucky guys who's allergic to penicillin, amoxicillin, AND sulfa.  Doxy and erythromycin for me.  Maybe some diflucan, cipro, and levaquin.  I think that covers everything.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/23/2013 9:07:05 AM EDT
[#19]
If you contact Practical Preppers, they have understanding certified pharmacists that will prescribe you just about anything related to painkillers and antibodies and the other thing I can't remember (maybe cannabis ). Hope this helps. Google it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2013 9:11:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Practical Preppers has certified pharmacists who will get you prescription drugs and antibodies. Google them
Link Posted: 11/23/2013 9:33:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/23/2013 1:19:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Yeah... I'm not taking advice from a person who doesn't know antibodies from antibiotics.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jesusprepperfreak:
Practical Preppers has certified pharmacists who will get you prescription drugs and antibodies. Google them

Yeah... I'm not taking advice from a person who doesn't know antibodies from antibiotics.

Well to be fair we are developing antibodies for a lot of disease areas now, but that post is a bit off the wall.
Link Posted: 11/23/2013 2:38:08 PM EDT
[#23]

If your treatment is going to have a >50% failure rate based on current prevalence patterns, I'd pick a different treatment.  Again... another difference between the "book answer" and a real-world practice situation, where patients frequently don't follow-up.  This prevents them from getting their culture results, and makes changing their meds difficult (and people don't want to pay for another visit, or another script).  With many patients, you get exactly one shot at the problem... best to make it a good one.  

And oral Vanc has almost no systemic bioavailability.  The oral form is used strictly to treat C. diff... for a skin-structure infection, it MUST be given parenterally.  
View All Quotes

They do make Oral Vanco, but of course, an initial IV or IM administration is called for when first presenting.

I am a PA-S and not working in Clinical practice yet.

The original question posed when this discussion first began asked about a general cut with a skin infection. Since it was not a nosocomial related skin infection, nor any mention of MRSA in the original question, I replied with a course of treatment for generalized skin infection.

Should you always worry about MRSA... sure. You are right. But from my understanding, you are first going to treat for generalized staph, get a culture, and see if it comes back positive for MRSA, then adjust your treatment according.

Clinda would be great for initial treatment.

If you want to get into MRSA, what I outlined previously would be the course of treatment recommended by the book.

Good luck to anyone on this board who isn't a healthcare professional at scoring Vanco to use on themselves. It's not likely to happen.

If the shtf and you have a MRSA infection, if you can't make it to a hospital and receive care, you are pretty much F'ed. If you want to try doxy for MRSA, since it is more widely available and accessible to a prepper, you really have nothing to lose.

I'd still rather have someone hook me up to an IV of vanco and send me home with oral vanco after released.

If your treatment is going to have a >50% failure rate based on current prevalence patterns, I'd pick a different treatment.  Again... another difference between the "book answer" and a real-world practice situation, where patients frequently don't follow-up.  This prevents them from getting their culture results, and makes changing their meds difficult (and people don't want to pay for another visit, or another script).  With many patients, you get exactly one shot at the problem... best to make it a good one.  

And oral Vanc has almost no systemic bioavailability.  The oral form is used strictly to treat C. diff... for a skin-structure infection, it MUST be given parenterally.  

+1 oral vanc is worthless for non gi Issues.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 9:20:06 PM EDT
[#24]

Outstanding thread.  I'll add my thanks to the adults in the room.

Link Posted: 1/1/2014 2:25:27 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm heading to the Dominican Republic this weekend.  I'm staying in Santo Domingo and have access to quite a few local pharmacies.

Based on this thread in planning on picking up some cipro and doxy.

What dosage and number of pills of each should I get?

And more importantly are antibiotics from the DR safe, or would I be better off with a fish antibiotic?
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 2:49:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 3:01:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Curry:
I'm heading to the Dominican Republic this weekend.  I'm staying in Santo Domingo and have access to quite a few local pharmacies.

Based on this thread in planning on picking up some cipro and doxy.

What dosage and number of pills of each should I get?

And more importantly are antibiotics from the DR safe, or would I be better off with a fish antibiotic?
View Quote

Can you bring them into the US? (customs?)
If yes I would also get:
Levofloxacin 500 mg (1 a day x 5-7 days)
Amoxicillin 500 mg (2-3 a day x 7 days)
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 3:44:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Jesusprepperfreak:
If you contact Practical Preppers, they have understanding certified pharmacists that will prescribe you just about anything related to painkillers and antibodies and the other thing I can't remember (maybe cannabis ). Hope this helps. Google it.
View Quote

Thanks, I will be sure to keep them in mind for my SHTF supply of Campath and Rituxan.

Link Posted: 1/1/2014 4:21:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:09:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Just got in an order from aquapharmacy for my very sickly fish ,

Anywho, just want to make sure I am doing this right. I did read the entire thing, so I think I have this right. Since there are actual experts, hopefully someone can stop me before I do something stupid .

I got:

Aquatic Amoxicillin 250mg. 100cnt.

Aquatic Penicillin VK 250mg. 100cnt.

Aquatic Levofloxacin 500mg. 30cnt.

Aquatic Amoxicillin 250mg. 50cnt.

Aquatic Cephalexin 250mg. 50cnt.

I also have some Clindamycin from an un-needed RX to put away.

My plan: Print out information for each RX. Put that paper, along with the bottle and an o2 aborber in mylar. Vac-seal mylar. Put in freezer to hopefully never use.

Questions: Am I doing this right, and importantly: Life expectancy of these types? Do I have something that goes toxic after it expires?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:19:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rich_V] [#31]
Originally Posted By Rat_Patrol:

Anywho, just want to make sure I am doing this right. I did read the entire thing, so I think I have this right. Since there are actual experts, hopefully someone can stop me before I do something stupid .

I got:

My plan: Print out information for each RX. Put that paper, along with the bottle and an o2 aborber in mylar. Vac-seal mylar. Put in freezer to hopefully never use.

Questions: Am I doing this right, and importantly: Life expectancy of these types? Do I have something that goes toxic after it expires?

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

The Cephalexin & Amoxicillin have a lot of overlap in coverage/use. I would add Doxycycline, Metronidazole & Sulfa/Trim.

Sealed in a ziplock/vacseal bag and stored in your freezer, they will last at least 10 years stored dry @ -20C
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:41:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rat_Patrol] [#32]

The Cephalexin & Amoxicillin have a lot of overlap in coverage/use. I would add Doxycycline, Metronidazole & Sulfa/Trim.

Sealed in a ziplock/vacseal bag and stored in your freezer, they will last at least 10 years stored dry @ -20C
View All Quotes

I got:

Thanks in advance.

I am allergic to the amox, so I got cephalexin hoping I am not allergic ( I need to have an allergy test done), and the dog uses amox a lot with her eyes, which is why I got both.

Also allergic to sulfa and penicillin .

I do keep the meat freezer below zero, so I guess I am GTG there.

I will look at the doxycycline and metronidazole, but the doxy was crazy expensive so I chose to get Levofloxacin because I know I can take it. I know it covers different things, but hopefully we can get more $$ flowing in and I can order more.

Thanks again.

ETA: the doses are standard adult doses, but if I needed to reduce the dose for small fish use, can I open the pill and carefully on my reloading scale weight it out?

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:59:52 PM EDT
[#33]
I am allergic to the amox, so I got cephalexin hoping I am not allergic ( I need to have an allergy test done), and the dog uses amox a lot with her eyes, which is why I got both.    

I will look at the doxycycline and metronidazole, but the doxy was crazy expensive so I chose to get Levofloxacin because I know I can take it. I know it covers different things, but hopefully we can get more $$ flowing in and I can order more.

Thanks again.

ETA: the doses are standard adult doses, but if I needed to reduce the dose for small fish use, can I open the pill and carefully on my reloading scale weight it out?

View All Quotes

I got:

Thanks in advance.

Thanks again.

Doxycycline Hyclate has gotten crazy expensive over the past few years for a generic antibiotic. ($3/pill) There are some ebay sellers from Thailand selling it for a good price but it appears their pills have no numbering and cannot be cross referenced on anything I can find.  I can't think of a way to really verify what you're getting in this circumstance.

It looks like good old Tetracycline is still available for "aquatic" use although I'm not so sure what the FDA think about using it on people now. I've heard it may have become out of vogue for some reason or another.

There are other "cyclines" out there for better prices but not sure if that's what we want.
Also, there is the issue of storing the "cyclines" past their due date and causing renal failure, although I've heard it's quite rare.

Any of our resident experts have an opinion on this?  

Cheers!
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:11:28 PM EDT
[#34]

Thanks again.

View All Quotes

I got:

Thanks in advance.

Thanks again.

Be VERY careful with the young ones, depending on age they can react very differently than adults. It's not a simple dose reduction.

Yes I saw the doxi price, just crazy. They were a more like 25C a pill not $3!
How bad is your penicillin allergy?   Cephalexin is a first generation cephalosporin and a penicillin allergy can cary over to early generation cephalosporins. You may want to pick up a later generation like Cefdinir. Get some Azithromycin, it will cover some of what penicillins cover and is often used for people who are allergic to beta lactams.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:26:28 PM EDT
[#35]

Be VERY careful with the young ones, depending on age they can react very differently than adults. It's not a simple dose reduction.

Yes I saw the doxi price, just crazy. They were a more like 25C a pill not $3!

How bad is your penicillin allergy?   Cephalexin is a first generation cephalosporin and a penicillin allergy can cary over to early generation cephalosporins. You may want to pick up a later generation like Cefdinir. Get some Azithromycin, it will cover some of what penicillins cover and is often used for people who are allergic to beta lactams.
View Quote
Don't really know. Broke out in hives when I had it as a kid, had a shot of something penicillin after knee surgery at 15 years old and my vision went completely fuzzy for a month. I don't know what the shot was, but I know they tried amox and pencillin as a kid. Sulfa was hives, I guess. Again, was young.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:30:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#36]
Originally Posted By gogetumnow:

Doxycycline Hyclate has gotten crazy expensive over the past few years for a generic antibiotic. ($3/pill) There are some ebay sellers from Thailand selling it for a good price but it appears their pills have no numbering and cannot be cross referenced on anything I can find.  I can't think of a way to really verify what you're getting in this circumstance.

It looks like good old Tetracycline is still available for "aquatic" use although I'm not so sure what the FDA think about using it on people now. I've heard it may have become out of vogue for some reason or another.

There are other "cyclines" out there for better prices but not sure if that's what we want.
Also, there is the issue of storing the "cyclines" past their due date and causing renal failure, although I've heard it's quite rare.

Cheers!
View All Quotes

I got:

Thanks in advance.

Thanks again.

Cheers!

Tetracycline had issues discoloring young folks teeth....

Also, try to get Augmentin.... It is available for your pets, and is relatively expensive. But when you need it, you will thank your prescience for spending the dough.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 1:29:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:27:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#38]
I think so...

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:24:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 2:03:20 AM EDT
[#40]

Cheers!
View All Quotes

I got:

Thanks in advance.

Thanks again.

Cheers!

Anyone know why doxycycline prices have gone thru the roof?

Also why are the doxycycline pills seeming to be more scarce and being replaced with 100 mg powder packets?  Am I correct that the doxy powder is the same sole ingredient as the pills?
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:06:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dragynn] [#41]

They've gone up on their prices on a lot of stuff lately, I found some much cheaper prices on eBay recently on a number of items, sometimes 10-12 bucks a bottle cheaper.

RE: Tetracycline; Go to your local feed store, they have 6.4 oz bags of the stuff for 5-7 bucks.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/aquabiotics/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:19:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:

They've gone up on their prices on a lot of stuff lately, I found some much cheaper prices on eBay recently on a number of items, sometimes 10-12 bucks a bottle cheaper.

RE: Tetracycline; Go to your local feed store, they have 6.4 oz bags of the stuff for 5-7 bucks.

View All Quotes

Be careful dosing bulk antibiotics.

6.4 oz = about 180 grams, or about 180,000 mg. That would be about 360 doses at 500mg each.

Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:34:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By red_on_black:

Be careful dosing bulk antibiotics.

6.4 oz = about 180 grams, or about 180,000 mg. That would be about 360 doses at 500mg each.

View Quote

That goes without saying for any antibiotic really. I was just putting the info out there, I don't take the stuff, tetracycline is nasty, but used as intended it is a good cheap anti for the livestock which is important to have too.

Link Posted: 1/31/2014 7:23:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Arcane6-1] [#44]
I see that many people are stocking up on antibiotics. For those of you that have women in your family or group, I am sure  you are aware that wide spectrum antibiotics kill not just the  targeted bacterium but also many that are necessary for health. This will often result in unintended problems.

When taking or just after taking a course of wide spectrum antibiotics, some females will experience a vaginal yeast infection. When this occurs, an anti-fungal such as Fluconazole or Diflucan can take care of it. The amount required is small, only 150 Mg. in a single oral dose, so a 30 count bottle of 100 Mg. tabs will treat 20 infections. Much easier than maintaining various creams, and anti fungal ointments that must be used for days and will often not control the problem.

In difficult times, things will bad enough for the women preppers without the discomfort and irritation that a yeast infection brings.

Also there is a very good app for smart phones, I Pads etc. It gives a great deal of info on medications that preppers would be interested in; it is called “Epocrates” and is free. It can be downloaded from the web. The drug reference and pill ID gives descriptions and dosages on most of the medications that the prepper would require.

(Edited for clarity)
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 12:27:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Arcane6-1:
I see that many people are stocking up on antibiotics. For those of you that have women in your family or group, I am sure  you are aware that wide spectrum antibiotics kill not just the  targeted bacterium but also many that are necessary for health. This will often result in unintended problems.

When taking or just after taking a course of wide spectrum antibiotics, some females will experience a vaginal yeast infection. When this occurs, an anti-fungal such as Fluconazole or Diflucan can take care of it. The amount required is small, only 150 Mg. in a single oral dose, so a 30 count bottle of 100 Mg. tabs will treat 20 infections. Much easier than maintaining various creams, and anti fungal ointments that must be used for days and will often not control the problem.

In difficult times, things will bad enough for the women preppers without the discomfort and irritation that a yeast infection brings.

Also there is a very good app for smart phones, I Pads etc. It gives a great deal of info on medications that preppers would be interested in; it is called “Epocrates” and is free. It can be downloaded from the web. The drug reference and pill ID gives descriptions and dosages on most of the medications that the prepper would require.

(Edited for clarity)
View Quote

+1

Fluconazole is also awesome for athlete's foot and jock itch.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 9:19:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Fluconazole is also awesome for athlete's foot and jock itch.
View Quote

Yes, better than smearing goo on your feet twice per day for a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 3:03:22 PM EDT
[#47]
How does Ketoconazole compare to Fluconazole?
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 10:32:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Ketoconazole is a first generation drug. It is effective but the second-generation drugs; Itraconazole and Fluconazole are less toxic and have better absorption rates.

Link Posted: 2/22/2014 1:05:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By ERNURSE:
I Keep Bactrim DS and Amoxicillin on hand along with Cipro, just my personal preferences, and experience.
View Quote

+1 on this. Pretty much covers anything and everything. Bactrim DS is one of the best (most effective) treatments for cellulitis
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 8:36:38 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm assuming there'll still be sex after SHTF, TEOTWAWKI.  
What about treatment for STD's?

Chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, etc.

Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top