Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 1/28/2023 6:04:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PistoleroJesse]
In classic fashion, a grown man experiences analysis paralysis when he adds more than one goal to a single decision....

I want to get back into some weekend camp and hiking maybe stretch it to some summer through hiking, and have a something suitable for, God save us, the Booglife.

Link Posted: 1/28/2023 6:45:19 PM EDT
[#1]
The only company I have experience with on your list is Mystery Ranch. I’ve the Scree 32 and I love it. 71 liters should be plenty for a 3 day adventure.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 10:50:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Most of the hunting packs I’ve seen and tried on were just about ALICE heavy. They may carry heavy loads comfortably, but it’s still a heavy load and you’ll feel every pound before too long. So I say if you want to hike & backpack get a hiking/backpacking pack. If you want to hunt get a hunting pack.

Depending on the bulk and weight of your gear, you could easily go 3 days using a pack in the 35-40l range. I use an Osprey Kestrel 38, but bought a Granite Gear Crown2 38 (discontinued) that’s just as comfortable and weighs maybe 40% less. Both have more than enough room, but I like the GG because unlike the Osprey the brain is removable so I don’t fall into the “gotta fill the bag” trap. I’d like to give a Six Moon Designs Minimalist V2 40l+9l pack a try sometime, too.

71l is a huge pack, if you don’t need to carry a bear can or go 10+ days without resupply it’ll be way overkill for summer.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 1:16:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PistoleroJesse] [#3]
The reason for 3 day this large is that I will be taking the boy.

He weighs 55lbs and can travel on his legs plenty, but I doubt he'll be able to go multiple days packing all of his own stuff.

And I have a younger one that will I will need to do the same for, so I'm trying to buy once cry once for all that. But thanks for the insights.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 1:31:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Still leaning towards the Metcalf myself.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 9:57:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Philmore] [#5]
I have an older Kelty Redwing 44 that might fit that bill.  
It’s plenty roomy and has enough organizational stuff to help keep stuff together.

I’m 5’11” and it rides just right and can carry some weight.  
It would do for a good 3 day pack - maybe more if you don’t need a lot of extras.  

It is blue so it’s not a tactical looking pack.  For a back packer that’s fine.  But they make a newer 50l that you can get in grey or tan I think.  

Problem with a larger pack for me is I tend to fill it up and if there’s no compression straps stuff flops around.

With kids it’s fun to get them a pack and let them at least carry some of their clothes and water.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 2:20:36 PM EDT
[#6]
@PistoleroJesse

I like Mystery Ranch for smaller packs (like the 3DAP or smaller Scree or Coulee), but for a serious do all pack, I settled on Seek Outside. I originally planned on just the 4800 Unaweep, added the Gila 3500, and ended up getting a new frame and waist belt to have two separate packs.

The Unaweep is big and with added pockets and top pouch, it's huge. I use for infrequent winter forays where I need the extra capacity for bulkier insulation and winter kit, but it's really too big for any trips under a week. It does compress down pretty good with some modular concepts that I like (removable Merlin back pocket/pack), for a one pack do-all, it's a solid recommendation, but I honestly find it too big for most warm weather backpacking.

I did an 7 day 106 mile hike on the AT with no resupply with just my Gila 3500; I had enough food and fuel for 9-10 days. It's just a little bigger than my ULA Circuit (common AT distance pack), only a few ounces more, but I can stuff it with up to 50 pounds of kit quite easily (normal base weight is only 12-14 pounds) and their hybrid frame system can haul over 100 pounds (if you're a masochist). The suspension system is quite comfortable and their build quality is top notch. Materials are bomb proof and much lighter than Cordura fabrics.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:38:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ROCK6:
@PistoleroJesse

I like Mystery Ranch for smaller packs (like the 3DAP or smaller Scree or Coulee), but for a serious do all pack, I settled on Seek Outside. I originally planned on just the 4800 Unaweep, added the Gila 3500, and ended up getting a new frame and waist belt to have two separate packs.

The Unaweep is big and with added pockets and top pouch, it's huge. I use for infrequent winter forays where I need the extra capacity for bulkier insulation and winter kit, but it's really too big for any trips under a week. It does compress down pretty good with some modular concepts that I like (removable Merlin back pocket/pack), for a one pack do-all, it's a solid recommendation, but I honestly find it too big for most warm weather backpacking.

I did an 7 day 106 mile hike on the AT with no resupply with just my Gila 3500; I had enough food and fuel for 9-10 days. It's just a little bigger than my ULA Circuit (common AT distance pack), only a few ounces more, but I can stuff it with up to 50 pounds of kit quite easily (normal base weight is only 12-14 pounds) and their hybrid frame system can haul over 100 pounds (if you're a masochist). The suspension system is quite comfortable and their build quality is top notch. Materials are bomb proof and much lighter than Cordura fabrics.

ROCK6
View Quote

That's good info. Maybe the right choice for me is a moderate bag that can separate like the Seek Peregrine 3500 or the ExoMtn K3 3200. Seems like the Mystery Ranch Sawtooth 45 is a tad too small. Blackjack 50 seems good but too pricey.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 3:37:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ROCK6:
Materials are bomb proof and much lighter than Cordura fabrics.

View Quote

@ROCK6 Have you ever looked at the Seek Outside using NV? Is it crazy beacon or 'meh'?
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 5:34:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ROCK6] [#9]
Originally Posted By PistoleroJesse:
@ROCK6 Have you ever looked at the Seek Outside using NV? Is it crazy beacon or 'meh'?
View Quote

I haven't, but doubt it's not likely IR friendly. This is why I have also have a pack scrim/camo that is IR resistant.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 12:35:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PistoleroJesse] [#10]
Exo Mtn Gear K4 3600 in bound.
I also purchased their load shelf to stack a sandbag on for conditioning rucks. Will update in a month or two.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 10:15:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I havent found a pack that could handle weight like my Arc'Yeryx 80L. If you can find a LEAF in the right
L that would be my choice, even if its not on the list.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 12:24:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PistoleroJesse] [#12]

Did 3 miles with 42lbs. No problems to report.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 5:27:20 PM EDT
[#13]
https://i.imgur.com/ghiDfZL.jpeg
Did 3 miles with 42lbs. No problems to report.
View Quote

I'm looking at the product page for the 3600 vs what you posted a picture of and seeing two different things.

What am I missing?

Seems like a very well built pack but that price tag....ouch.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 1:43:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Pack is not on it. I bought the load shelf and am using an aftermarket sandbag to break in the frame and make sure I got fitment dialed. I ruck weekly, and will be using it for that until I get to some overnights in 2024.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 1:44:59 PM EDT
[#15]
K4 Packs — How to Load Weight for Training Hikes — Exo Mtn Gear
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 11:35:12 AM EDT
[#16]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-ol2hnEbXc
View Quote

Makes sense now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top