Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2024 6:52:44 PM EDT
Hello All.

Quick question for you.  Can I run similar but not exactly same generators in parallel?

I own a Champion 2000W inverter generator.  I can buy another of the same, but there could be an advantage buying a 2500W champion with the same parallel link.  It could give me just a little more "juice" when running it solo.  My 2000W will run basic tools, but its kind of "boggy"....
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 7:01:52 PM EDT
[#1]
As long as the wire plugs match.  Myself, I'd just sell the small one and put the money towards a bigger 4K or so inverter model
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 7:04:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes but don't expect more than 4000w total output; based on that example.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 7:43:20 PM EDT
[#3]
i've been wondering this as well.    like, if i have a 4000w inverter that is supplied by batteries and puts out 240 split phase to a normal breaker box, but let's say i want to run an 8kw instant hot water heater for 15 minutes...   could i stack 3 of the 4000w inverters in parallel, so that they could potentially put 12kw into the breaker box supplying the hot water heater?    15 min of use is only 2kwh draw from the battery which is going to be not even 1% of capacity.

and would i have the added redundancy of if one failed, i still have 2 running, which might not handle the water heater, but would still run every other load
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 8:58:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hello All.

Quick question for you.  Can I run similar but not exactly same generators in parallel?

I own a Champion 2000W inverter generator.  I can buy another of the same, but there could be an advantage buying a 2500W champion with the same parallel link.  It could give me just a little more "juice" when running it solo.  My 2000W will run basic tools, but its kind of "boggy"....
View Quote

You would need a parallel kit to do it…

https://www.championpowerequipment.com/parallel-kit-selector/

Just put in the model you have and it will give you compatible generator models and the kit needed.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 9:07:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i've been wondering this as well.    like, if i have a 4000w inverter that is supplied by batteries and puts out 240 split phase to a normal breaker box, but let's say i want to run an 8kw instant hot water heater for 15 minutes...   could i stack 3 of the 4000w inverters in parallel, so that they could potentially put 12kw into the breaker box supplying the hot water heater?    15 min of use is only 2kwh draw from the battery which is going to be not even 1% of capacity.

and would i have the added redundancy of if one failed, i still have 2 running, which might not handle the water heater, but would still run every other load
View Quote

The inverters have to be able to be paralleled. They need a communication cable between them so they can synchronize their outputs.
SMA, Outback, Schneider Electric make top notch inverters that can do that.  My SMA Sunny Island has been powering most of my house for almost 15 years now.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 9:20:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I can tell you you'd need some sort of sync/parallel/load sharing module.  

I work on big stationary generators that run in parallel.  they use woodward speed control governors to maintain balance between the machines.  I don't know how small portable units do it.

ETA: covered above.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 9:22:56 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/28/2024 9:31:51 PM EDT
[#8]
The inverters have to be designed to do this.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 10:02:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Would this parallel module you speak of become a single point of failure? Or would each of the three inverters have one and they talk to each other?
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 12:17:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Just an FYI, also the Champion website gives you information about running parallel.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 12:20:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yes but don't expect more than 4000w total output; based on that example.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/29/2024 9:09:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Check You Tube.

Some of the videos show two and three hooked up in parallel.

Cords can be made with Home Depot parts.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 10:32:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Check You Tube.

Some of the videos show two and three hooked up in parallel.

Cords can be made with Home Depot parts.
View Quote
it's not a simple matter of summing the cords up.

The generators have to be in phase, or else you won't have single phase power, or they will push power into each other or something that winds up letting the smoke out of them.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 9:35:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Jesus you guys over complicate shit trying to sound smart.

OP yes it will work…….you can have two inverter champion generators different sizes as long as both are able to be paralleled it will work.  Buy the champion parallel kit or any other kit as long as it’s the same positive negative tip as the champion and done.   You may only get 4000 watts with your set up because if I remember correctly the parallel set up will default to the smaller unit and only pull equal watts from the larger unit.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top