Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2023 10:20:35 PM EDT
Could be any of the dehydrated brands. They all sucked ass. Pour in the boiling water and let sit 5 min. Stir. Sit for another 3-5 min and serve. It was never rehydrated very well. In fact it just plain sucked ass. The “meat” was cruchy. The textures weren’t right. It just didn’t taste right.

I relaxed I needed to let it sit longer. But on a cooler night. The bag cooled off to quick and it was luke warm or cool. Not a hot meal when it was finally “almost cooked enough” to taste decent.

Then I realized. I needed to keep it hotter longer. Enter. The hydroflask 28oz food container.

I dumped the dry food into the container. Then added the water. Stirred. Let sit 7. Then let sit another 10.

The mountain house lasagna was PERFECT the beef stew was amazing. (Just needed ground pepper added). Never thought I would like dehydrated food after so many disappointments. Every meal turns out better. Best part is. It wipes clean in seconds. The lid is the here’s to clean. But if you don’t shake it. The lid is only covered in steam. Rinse with water and good to go.

Hope everyone is having an amazing Monday night. Cheers.
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 10:54:16 PM EDT
[#1]
You talked me into it! Hydro Flask even has them on sale with free shipping as well!
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 11:17:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#2]
Base camp, we cook it on the stove.

Attachment Attached File

If I was living off the jetboil I will definitely do that…already have the hydro flask.

Link Posted: 10/3/2023 3:58:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I made some pouches from foil bubble wrap insulation and box tape. It holds the heat and allows you to hang onto the pouch when its still boiling hot

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/3/2023 4:21:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Spydermonkey:
I made some pouches from foil bubble wrap insulation and box tape. It holds the heat and allows you to hang onto the pouch when its still boiling hot

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102945/IMG_9622_jpeg-2975369.JPG
View Quote
That’s a great idea. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 4:23:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Stryfe] [#5]

View Quote

I like that, it's probably lighter than what we did.
My wife sewed 2 potholders together to make a pouch.
We were doing freezer bag Beals for a   few trips.

Another people are doing now is cold soaking. Let it soak while you're hiking, then heat it up.
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 4:34:03 AM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

I tried something similar and it did work. It was an inexpensive insulated lunch bag made out of the same stuff with a cloth outer layer.  I also got a Stanley jumbo food thermos I think it was like 50oz or something that will do two bags at the same time. It was great for larger camp outs.
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 5:53:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Spydermonkey] [#7]
Glad I could help. They work for MREs that are too hot to hold also. A roll is cheap enough for a ton of pouches so you can size them according to your needs. And yes, they are really light weight for the ultra light hikers here.
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 8:49:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm usually just happy for a meal.  I'm not too picky on the trail.

My biggest problem is the few spoonfuls that sometimes get stuck, unhydrated, in the bottom corners of the bag.  The hydroflask would fix that.
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 9:10:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#9]
Yep. Been using an insulated wide mouth container with a screw on lid for 4 decades.

Pour in food, poor in hot water, screw on lid. Shake. Wait, shake, unscrew lid after 15 minutes and let cool a bit because still to hot to eat even in winter.
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 9:11:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NachoDip] [#10]
Originally Posted By trails-end:
I'm usually just happy for a meal.  I'm not too picky on the trail.

My biggest problem is the few spoonfuls that sometimes get stuck, unhydrated, in the bottom corners of the bag.  The hydroflask would fix that.
View Quote

That’s why I liked it. Seemed to mix better and taste better.

I was giddy the first time I tried it when I opened the lid up.

Going to try a few more of them this weekend. I stocked up during the September sale and ordered more than 150 pouches. I’m set for the next decade or so.  

As for being happy for a meal. I get it. After 10 miles of switchbacks or whatever stresses the body it’s nice to get something hot. What sent me on this quest was hiking in Yosemite and taking 6 hours to go 1/2 mile up hill in the ice. When we finally got to the top and I sat down to eat I was more pissed than anything at the quality. I ended up eating it cold after the package cooled off and it was just meh. I was happy to have food. I was determined to find a better way when I got home. The foil works well for using the original pouch. I wanted a better mix and consistency and it led to the hydroflask. There’s lots of similar food ones. Stanley has one that looks like it would work well too.
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 1:47:28 PM EDT
[#11]
We would wrap them in a coat if we were in a hurry.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 2:13:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Great idea, Nachodip!

I went ahead and bought one of those.

I have been using a systematic approach to freeze dried meals.
Occasionally, I will eat one in order to cycle the nearest expiration dates out of my stock.  And whenever I do this, I make notes regarding whether or not I like the meal and any other observations such as re-hydration time, or whether extra water should be added over the amount in the instructions.

I agree completely that one of the main issues with freeze dried meals is that very often (even usually) more hydration time is needed.  And often a couple of ounces more water, too.

I like to experiment with different meals and with different brands because many of them are just not really very good and the last place I want an unpleasant meal surprise is when camping, hungry, and I'm counting on something decent.  So, experimenting with the ones I'm not familiar with at home gives me the option of simply dumping it if it's really bad.  And by keeping track in a notebook (in my Cloud documents), I keep from forgetting and making the same purchase twice.

Unfortunately, the makers of freeze dried meals do not always repeat every meal.  Some winners have turned out to be what appear to be one offs and many of the worst ones are churned out over and over.  Eggs, in particular, do not seem to fare well in freeze drying.  So, my basecamp kitchen is especially designed with an eye for cooking fresh eggs.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 4:19:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Big Sky International Insulate Pouch for reheating freeze dried food while backpacking.

Similar to taping reflectix into a pouch but packs down smaller and does not crinkle.

Amazon Product
  • Prim aloft insulation, reflective material to retain hot/cold temperatures

Link Posted: 10/5/2023 4:42:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Elevation is a thing too.   Water boils at a lower temperature, so after I put the water in I try to relax and give dinner the time it needs to be right.   On the other hand, MH mac and cheese is still okay a bit crunchy.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 4:54:15 PM EDT
[#15]
When it comes to dehydrated food always double or triple the time to 'cook'.  

The hydroflask is a great idea to keep it from getting too cool.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 5:11:43 PM EDT
[#16]
@NachoDip

Does the 28oz hydroflask hold the 2 serving meals?
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 5:23:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NachoDip] [#17]
Originally Posted By trails-end:
@NachoDip

Does the 28oz hydroflask hold the 2 serving meals?
View Quote

Every one of the 2 serving ones I have tried fit with plenty of stir space. The readywise brand that is a bit larger and calls it self 2.5 servings also fit with space easily.

My 2nd big MH order arrived today. Will be able to try a few more. But as a previous poster mentioned. Really need to get 2 or 3 times the amount of “cook time”

I’d like to see someone make decent side dishes. I know the Auguson farms makes a few sides. Just want to see them in the bags as a side meal. Maybe a veggie mix. Using minute rice and/or instant mashed potatoes gets old.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 5:31:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I've never had a problem with mountain house meals I do typically add a slight bit more water 1 maybe 2oz.

I do prefer the peak refuel brand though. More pricey but I enjoy them more
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 8:47:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NachoDip] [#19]
@trails-end

Trying another tonight. You can see the level in the container.

Buffalo Mac n cheese.

Dry. Water is heating.

Water poured in stirred and resting.

Will update in 20 minutes.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 9:04:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By NachoDip:

Every one of the 2 serving ones I have tried fit with plenty of stir space. The readywise brand that is a bit larger and calls it self 2.5 servings also fit with space easily.

My 2nd big MH order arrived today. Will be able to try a few more. But as a previous poster mentioned. Really need to get 2 or 3 times the amount of “cook time”

I’d like to see someone make decent side dishes. I know the Auguson farms makes a few sides. Just want to see them in the bags as a side meal. Maybe a veggie mix. Using minute rice and/or instant mashed potatoes gets old.
View Quote

There are instant refried bean packets out there, or you can buy bulk and add your own spices at home when you package them.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 9:10:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By vim:

There are instant refried bean packets out there, or you can buy bulk and add your own spices at home when you package them.
View Quote

Ohhhh that’s neat.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 9:49:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NachoDip] [#22]
Finished eating. It was good. Added ground white pepper and a splash of green cholula.

Very saucy for Mac N Cheese. Reminded me of the stuff of KFC. I’m more of a Kraft style. I’m working on a pre packed mix for making my own instant Kraft like it’s a dehydrated meal. But that’s an experiment for a different time and thread.

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 9:54:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 6:02:14 PM EDT
[#24]
I usually carry a thick knit hat for sleeping in, it fits a lot of the freeze dried meals I take. Bonus points for putting on a toasty hat before bed when it's cold.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 6:58:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By CTYC313:
I usually carry a thick knit hat for sleeping in, it fits a lot of the freeze dried meals I take. Bonus points for putting on a toasty hat before bed when it's cold.
View Quote

Gotta make sure absolutely no food gets in/on it. Last thing you want to do is have small (or large) animals drawn to the food smell on your hat/head.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 2:42:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Big Sky pouch for the win. Pour your water in, make a cup of cider or joe, relax and eat.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 11:28:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By bluemax_1:

Gotta make sure absolutely no food gets in/on it. Last thing you want to do is have small (or large) animals drawn to the food smell on your hat/head.
View Quote

I can honestly say I've never had an issue keeping the food in the bag while heating it up.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 11:40:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Only downside is that sucker is heavy to humping very far.

1.11#

Link Posted: 12/7/2023 12:00:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Bubbatheredneck:
Only downside is that sucker is heavy to humping very far.

1.11#

View Quote

This is true. Weight does add up. Not for the featherweight crowd for sure.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 12:06:14 AM EDT
[#30]
I use a pouch I made with reflectix insulation.  Keeps the weight down for backpacking and the food warm.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 2:03:39 AM EDT
[#31]
I took Refletix and made a heating pouch years ago.

I discovered it reading a later version of The Complete Walker where he suggested making a little “kettle/pot cozy” to keep your pit of food warmer longer. Works like a champ.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 1:16:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Hasher1:
I took Refletix and made a heating pouch years ago.

I discovered it reading a later version of The Complete Walker where he suggested making a little “kettle/pot cozy” to keep your pit of food warmer longer. Works like a champ.
View Quote

LOL, same here.  I need to find that book, it's around here somewhere.  I've also done the hat thing when I've forgotten my pouch.  I still try to avoid most of the packaged foods as the sodium content is so high on them.  At least some of them are tastier these days, then there's Readywise.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 4:59:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:

LOL, same here.  I need to find that book, it's around here somewhere.  I've also done the hat thing when I've forgotten my pouch.  I still try to avoid most of the packaged foods as the sodium content is so high on them.  At least some of them are tastier these days, then there's Readywise.  
View Quote

I haven’t had any issues with the readywise. I like the lasagna and a couple of others. Granted I have issues with mushrooms and that eliminates about half of their entre options.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 12:57:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 12:59:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Interdasting
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 11:14:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Attachment Attached File

We used that goofy insulated bag this weekend after reading this thread.

Fit two mountain house meals in it and definitely kept shit warmer than leaving them in the elements.

Was a whole lot colder than forecast saturday night so having that was key to getting fully rehydrated food.  All of our water froze overnight.  Will look into the lighter weight refletix option but this was a good tester.

Pic is from Springer mountain to long creek falls and back to stover shelter on the AT.  We are prepping for philmont in june so trying to camp in all weather situations and field test gear after putting miles and elevation on the feet
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:36:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By spuddicus:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/150826/IMG_5932_jpeg-3094945.JPG

We used that goofy insulated bag this weekend after reading this thread.

Fit two mountain house meals in it and definitely kept shit warmer than leaving them in the elements.

Was a whole lot colder than forecast saturday night so having that was key to getting fully rehydrated food.  All of our water froze overnight.  Will look into the lighter weight refletix option but this was a good tester.

Pic is from Springer mountain to long creek falls and back to stover shelter on the AT.  We are prepping for philmont in june so trying to camp in all weather situations and field test gear after putting miles and elevation on the feet
View Quote

Springer Mountain huh?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top