Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2024 2:37:21 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:35:37 PM EDT
[#1]
The solar charge controller charges the batteries from energy harvested by the solar panels.  If you want 30A, why not connect a Powerpole cable to the batteries directly (via a fuse)?
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:09:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheOtherDave] [#2]
Originally Posted By RED_5:
I have a portable 300w Dokio solar panel system.  It came with a 12v 20A controller that uses XT60 connectors.

It's not a bad system, and adequate for what I originally set out to do, but I think I would be better off with a 30A(+)
controller so I can run full power on my HF radio (~20A), as needed, without issue

(negative ground setup)

I have
3x 20AH LiPO4 batteries
and I'm using a FT-891 HF Transceiver and a few low current accessories (<1A)

Outside of the connectors to the controller, everything else has PowerPole connectors, so while I am equipped
with XT60 stuff, all PP wouldn't hurt :)

View Quote

The absolute best performing solar controllers on the market are made by a local EE/HAM radio guy and sold on his site, diysolar4u.com. THIS is what you need. I have been using 4 of the the 16A Apollo charge controllers on my cabin for about 4 years now and have bought another 12 of the Sol charge controllers, the master head unit, and a BMS unit for balancing LiFe batteries from them-it’s a modular system that does everything but mix a cocktail.

We are talking 98-99% efficient a max load, global MPPT tracking, and the capability to both buck and boost panel voltage so that it will charge the batteries even when the panel output is lower than the battery voltage-you get more hours of charge time this way…… This company isn’t great at the marketing side of things but they make one hell of a charge controller.

ETA: of your panels aren’t putting out 30A, going to a 30A charge controller won’t do anything for you.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:16:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:24:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Your charge controller will make sure you dont have high voltage on the battery terminals, and the BMS will protect the battery from high/low voltage conditions.  Hook the radio straight to the battery.   I have my base station setup this way and have had zero issues.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:11:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Sorry to hijack - is a battery necessary?  Can you just remove it from the system if you are OK only powering when the panels are producing?
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 12:34:47 AM EDT
[#6]
The panels likely output close to 20 volts.  The charge controller regulates that down to useful voltage but requires to be able to see a battery voltage to know what to send it, or if it's full.    
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 2:34:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:

The absolute best performing solar controllers on the market are made by a local EE/HAM radio guy and sold on his site, diysolar4u.com. THIS is what you need. I have been using 4 of the the 16A Apollo charge controllers on my cabin for about 4 years now and have bought another 12 of the Sol charge controllers, the master head unit, and a BMS unit for balancing LiFe batteries from them-it’s a modular system that does everything but mix a cocktail.

We are talking 98-99% efficient a max load, global MPPT tracking, and the capability to both buck and boost panel voltage so that it will charge the batteries even when the panel output is lower than the battery voltage-you get more hours of charge time this way…… This company isn’t great at the marketing side of things but they make one hell of a charge controller.
View Quote

I did not know about these guys. Thank You. Also looking for a controller for camping HF with an 891
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 12:34:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheOtherDave] [#8]
Nvm
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 1:25:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 1:53:10 AM EDT
[#10]
XT60 is a superior connector. I am sad that hams standardized on the powerpole and have stuck with it all these years later. most of my stuff is XT60 and now that I'm getting back into ham the PP are starting to spread. I dont like it.

as to the charge controller, if you panel is 300 watt, at 12v that would be 25amps? my solar panels only put out rated power for about an hour a day 2 weeks in summer. the rest of the time is less, you are probably fine with 20a
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 9:48:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By slappomatt:
XT60 is a superior connector. I am sad that hams standardized on the powerpole and have stuck with it all these years later. most of my stuff is XT60 and now that I'm getting back into ham the PP are starting to spread. I dont like it.

as to the charge controller, if you panel is 300 watt, at 12v that would be 25amps? my solar panels only put out rated power for about an hour a day 2 weeks in summer. the rest of the time is less, you are probably fine with 20a
View Quote

W=V x A, so 300/12=25…

Actual amperage would be lower because 12v batteries really aren’t 12v, but you get the idea.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 6:59:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Victron is solid, but expensive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top