Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2024 1:55:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: caduckgunner]
The point of this is to mess around with this cheap one and see if it will work well for area recon and such. I am not expecting much from it, but to see if it make sense to spend more money down the road on a more expensive one. I have no idea if this is designed to carry a very small payload or not. I will find out more when the amazon truck deliveres it tomorrow. I will try to keep this post updated if people are interested.

$45 drone

Pics

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/25/2024 7:47:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Interested!
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 8:00:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: olivers_AR] [#2]
Figured why not. $49 plus tax and same day delivery. I needed to order it within 51 minutes at 7am.

ETA got it, assembled it and it rose 1.2m inside and started heading to the wall. Hit wall and decided to try tomorrow outside.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 9:06:57 AM EDT
[#3]
“Loiley Drone for Adults with Versatile Function”

Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:19:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I am also interested in knowing what you think of it and how it works.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 9:22:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: planemaker] [#5]
Funny how they talk about 25 years in the drone business. What a complete lie.

I'll be interested in hearing how well it operates. These small, cheap drones are good for taking to classes with kids. I bought some of those Sky Viper ones that have a real (if limited) Pixhawk in them. Kids liked them and I could show them what a real GCS looks like even with the el-cheapo drone.

ETA: OP, once you get it and fly it some, let us know how it does in the wind. That seems to be one of the few complaints with mostly positive reviews. It makes sense since it's a very lightweight unit. Down here in Corpus, it's windy pretty much all the time so it might not be so good here.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 9:25:42 PM EDT
[#6]
O.S.T.

For $49 as a first drone can't seem like too much of an "investment" to checkout & learn about drones.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 9:34:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bigger_Hammer:
O.S.T.

For $49 as a first drone can't seem like too much of an "investment" to checkout & learn about drones.

Bigger_Hammer
View Quote

Kinda what I figured. I’ve put fireworks up that I’ve spent that much on so if I get it back for a second run, bonus.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 9:49:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought a DJI Mavic Mini 2 a number of years ago - slightly more than $49, but it's awesome.  The smaller drones, i.e., less than 249 g, are not likely to be able to carry much.  For that, you have to go to the bigger ones.  The smaller ones do excel at recon.  I can send mine up 100' and you can't hear it and it's so small, it's extremely difficult to see.  It's rated to have a range of 3-5 miles, but I've only sent it out 1.5 miles.  The images it sends back are pretty phenomenal.  

If you want to drop presents to undesirables, then get a bigger drone.  If you want to spend good money, get a drone w/ IR.

If SHTF, and I had to travel, I'd definitely send it out in front of me to check pathways, over hills, around corners, etc.  Or as mentioned, send it 500' up and just keep watch on an area.  Some words of caution for this use, don't have it leave or return directly to where you are controlling it from, use a circuitious route so people can't follow you back.  If you are concerned about people tracking the signal, don't ever fly it from your house, BOL, etc.  Go a ways away and fly it.  

Link Posted: 2/25/2024 9:59:40 PM EDT
[#9]
..you magnificent basterd, now I wants one.  

What’s the Range?     I watched the vids and read the reviews, but nobody mentions it?
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 10:05:24 PM EDT
[#10]
You should definitely install the App for a $49 drone on the phone that you use to check your bank accounts.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 11:36:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I have an old work iPhone that my old work let me keep when I quit. I plan to use that.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 11:38:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Pics added to OP. I have the battery on the charger. Not sure when I will get a chance to try and fly it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 11:40:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By caduckgunner:
I have an old work iPhone that my old work let me keep when I quit. I plan to use that.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/27/2024 4:42:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Burncycle] [#14]
Drones are one of those things I always recommend starting off a little more so it doesn't negatively color your experience. The DJI Mini series can be had for $200-300 and, like night vision, there really is a baseline threshold for usability below which it's almost not worth bothering with.

Especially for beginners these have features that make life easier, GPS and vision position hold, stabilized gimbal, HD video streaming, and sometimes obstacle avoidance. These are often friendlier to new operators than the cheaper ones. People are worried about crashing the expensive ones but they're much more forgiving (you can go "hands off" if you get confused and it'll just hold position) so you're less likely to crash it in the first place.

Hope you find your passion for them though they're really cool and useful too!
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:46:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 8:14:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Lowdown3:

Well said.

I crashed a larger one I got from a relative and decided to go with a Mini 2 in order to get some time learning it before buying a thermal drone.

For $299. I wasn't expecting a helluva lot. But it's been pretty awesome and very compact.  Camera is great and gives some outstanding pics and videos. I'm glad I didn't go any less than this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lowdown3:
Originally Posted By Burncycle:
Drones are one of those things I always recommend starting off a little more so it doesn't negatively color your experience. The DJI Mini series can be had for $200-300 and, like night vision, there really is a baseline threshold for usability below which it's almost not worth bothering with.

Especially for beginners these have features that make life easier, GPS and vision position hold, stabilized gimbal, HD video streaming, and sometimes obstacle avoidance. These are often friendlier to new operators than the cheaper ones.

Hope you find your passion for them though they're really cool and useful too!

Well said.

I crashed a larger one I got from a relative and decided to go with a Mini 2 in order to get some time learning it before buying a thermal drone.

For $299. I wasn't expecting a helluva lot. But it's been pretty awesome and very compact.  Camera is great and gives some outstanding pics and videos. I'm glad I didn't go any less than this.

Big copy on all of the above. What a colossal piece of shit. Those $20 tiny helicopters you could buy at the gas station years ago were of better quality. This thing will not begin to hover no matter what. Not at 3’ or 30’ inside a building. I’m not going to even bother taking it outside.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 8:42:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Raven_Fire:

Big copy on all of the above. What a colossal piece of shit. Those $20 tiny helicopters you could buy at the gas station years ago were of better quality. This thing will not begin to hover no matter what. Not at 3' or 30' inside a building. I'm not going to even bother taking it outside.
View Quote
I am going to try to fly mine tonight at my daughters soccer practice. Hopefully it's better than yours.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:01:22 PM EDT
[#18]
I am going to try to fly mine tonight at my daughters soccer practice. Hopefully it's better than yours.
View Quote

Mine would dive hard to one direction or another. Recalibrated numerous times, checked the blades, screws, exc. Mine was completely uncontrollable.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:35:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burncycle] [#19]
View Quote

Let us know how it goes!  

If you're not satisfied, check out facebook marketplace, you can usually find a used DJI Mini or Spark for around $200 and your experience should be night and day better!

I just ordered a little Fimi mini v2 drone, it's basically one of the many mavic mini clones. It still has the stabilized camera and USB-C recharging, but doesn't have the geofencing, can optionally be controlled with just your phone and no controller (limited distance in this mode, a few hundred feet, but that's plenty to poke up above the treeline and get your bearings), and will display its GPS coordinates (ostensibly for "SAR" purposes, not JDAM purposes ).  So basically if I plan on using the drone I'll bring the controller so I get the full range, if I don't plan on using it I'll just bring the drone to lighten the load.

Link Posted: 2/28/2024 12:49:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Flew fine, I just need to learn how to controller it better. The damn thing can do a flip. I didn't mess with the camera. Also, I was using controller that came with it and not a cellphone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top